Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbiecz3

Bicolor Monkshoods

debbiecz3
9 years ago

Anyone grow this? I have it growing in part shade and another in shade; flower stems are weak and flop for me. Is this commen or are they needing more sun?

Comments (15)

• north53 Z2b MB
    9 years ago

I've always been confused by the shade recommendation for monkshood. Mine are in an area that gets morning shade and sun most of the afternoon. They grew very tall this year because of all the early moisture, so have needed to be tied up somewhat.
    Here's a pic where you can see them towering over everything. Frankly, if full sun would keep them shorter, I would prefer it.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

That is beautiful north53!

SCG

• ostrich
    9 years ago

SCG, north has my dream garden there!

See, you need that width of a bed to create that amazing layered effect that north has, so go wild with your 8-10 foot bed! :-)

• north53 Z2b MB
    9 years ago

It only looks good if you look along the length of it. Front on, not so great. Delphiniums and veronicastrum are finished now.
    I'm trying to remember to take pictures to see the transitions to help decide on changes.

But what about Debbie's question. Do you grow monkshood in the shade?

• northspruce
    9 years ago

The main problem for me with monkshood in the shade is that it takes so long to bloom, it's often snowed on. I've considered moving it to a sunnier spot just because of that.

9 years ago

Always been thinking of getting some monkshood for the shade. This thread will be a big help.

Ostrich, big beds require planning of which I know nothing about. I usually have 5 or 6 plants acquired before even figuring out where I would like them. Then I change my mind, then I plant it just for the sake of doing so. Way to much thinking for this redneck...I did I mention one also needs patience, I have read about it and hope to purchase some.

SCG

• north53 Z2b MB
    9 years ago

Northspruce, Is it possible you have the monkshood 'arendsii'? It is an Autumn bloomer.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Due to deer browsing I found that monkshood can be kept shorter by pinching. I am growing Aconitum x cammarum 'Eleanor', a bicolor monkshood, which has spikes of white flowers, each flower's hood outlined in pale blue-violet. It was transplanted to a mostly sunny area last fall. With two stems one flopped and one was upright.

Also grow a late fall blooming monkshood in part shade which has never needed staking.

• northspruce
    9 years ago

Deer? Really? I thought monkshood was acutely poisonous.

Marie, yes one of mine is A. arendsii, and most years it buds around freeze-up and doesn't have chance to bloom at all. The other is a beautiful cutleaf variety which is a bit of a mystery to me, because I tried for a few years to grow monkshood from seed, but this plant showed up a few years after I'd stopped trying. Must have been a slow germinator. It's just starting to bloom now.

9 years ago

I, too, am curious about the deer comment. The reason I wanted to grow it was because it can tolerate part shade and, like foxglove, poisonous so deer will leave it alone...

Interesting...

SCG

• debbiecz3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I grow arendsii as well in part shade; it never flops with its very sturdy foliage but like Gillian says sometimes it doesn't get to bloom because it's so late. One unseasonably warm fall it bloomed into early Nov which certainly is unusual for our climate!
    Monkshood is said to do well in sun as long as it's kept well watered. Unfortunately at present all my beds are part sun at best. So guess I will have to put up with the floppiness of that variety.
    Also surprised to hear the deer would bother with it; experts advise to wear gloves when handling monkshood.

• north53 Z2b MB
    9 years ago

Speaking of late bloomers, I also have 2 cimicifugas that I've never seen bloom. Frost also kills the buds first. I should shovel prune them, I guess.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    9 years ago

My cimicifuga bloomed last year, Marie - I don't know how long I've had it but that was the first time. Looks like it might bloom this year too.

• Pudge 2b
    9 years ago

My mom grows her bicolour Monkshood in full blazing sun although their roots are shaded by foreground plants. Never flops, always lots and lots of blooms late July to early August.

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

My bi-coloured monkhood is in shade and it doesn't bloom as plentifully as the solid purple one. I have it paired with heliopsis, which gets a bit floppy....I placed a wire lattice in front of it, which helps keep it off the ground. Both monkshoods are blooming right now.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals