Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ginny - iris question - or anyone else

Posted by northspruce z3a MB CDA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 10:57

I'm asking Ginny because I know you have a lot of irises and I found an old thread where you were answering Marg about the iris in question.

My mom has a big white TB iris that she has lost the name of. It would probably be a fairly old one, and I'm thinking it could be Immortality. It looks right and 1982 would be about the right time frame because she bought it at a plant sale in about 2000.

Mom's iris has the weirdest scent. She thinks it smells delightful but I think it reeks. It's a sweet spicy smell that smells *to me* like corned beef. She doesn't think it smells like corned beef.

Anyway, if you or anyone else grows Immortality, could you describe the scent to me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ginny - iris question - or anyone else

Oh my dear...... I have about 4 patches of Immortality.....groves maybe. It is definitely scented and like many irises (and lilies for that matter) it may be described as having a strong scent, especially in the sun. Another one that comes to mind that can be a bit much is Bosenberry Buttercup and even I don't like that one. I guess it is individual preference. I think Saturday Night Live smells like Dr. Pepper! And really like oriental lily Conca D'Or but can hardly tolerate the scent! ???

So if it smells like corned beef to you, I would suggest you leave it in Mom's garden. :)

Ginny

o

Ahhh man I come here to learn about iris's and I leave wanting a sandwich and a cola.

o

You are funny Lance!!!

Ginny

o

Lance - LOL!

Ginny - so it increases pretty well? Mom's does too. Sometime I'll dig up a photo and maybe you can yea or nay it.

Funny, I think of myself as a rose gal, but I was just updating my database and I have more varieties of irises than roses. Weird!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here