Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
north53zone2b

anise hyssop anyone?

north53 Z2b MB
12 years ago

First time I've planted this wildflower in my garden. So far I'm loving it. I don't know how much it will self-seed, but it's great to have something blooming at the end of August. Anyone growing any of the hybrids? I only have the species.

{{gwi:275111}}

Comments (14)

• Crazy_Gardener
    12 years ago

very pretty! I had a White Anise Hyssop in the garden a few years ago, but it never came back or self-seeded :(

• Pudge 2b
    12 years ago

I grew it from seed a few years back. They were big, healthy plants full of bloom. I was completely surprised when none of them made it through winter. I thought they'd be perennial here.

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

I used to grow Agastache foeniculum(sp?). I bought it at Richters Herbs. I loved the smell of it after a rain! It is listed as hardy to z4. The other ones they have are not hardy past z6. To bad because there are some really nice ones out there. It makes a nice tea to. It also reseeds quite well. Marg

• ostrich
    12 years ago

I had no idea that you could grow agastache in zone 1b! They are gorgeous. I had some in my previous zone 5 yard and they did smell nice. I thought that they were hardy to zone 5 only... well, I was clearly wrong! :-)

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I purchased the seed from Garden's North and they had it rated as zone 2. It has survived one winter so far, but I guess I don't have to worry about it taking over the yard if it's not hardy.

• luckygal
    12 years ago

North53, that's very pretty! Last year I bought 2 small Hyssop Agastache 'Blue Fortune' and they did very well. This is a pic from last year as I moved them this spring and didn't bother taking a pic as only a few short blooms.

{{gwi:768239}}

Non of the seeds survived as I raised the level of the bed they were in. Probably should have deadheaded and not let them go to seed last year and they might have done better this year.

The plant tag on this plant said zone 2 but most online sites say zone 4. We usually get good snow cover here in zone 3b so hope it will survive awhile.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Agastache 'Golden Jubilee' is an attractive all round good performer in my garden. It normally survives my winters and modestly self sows, I always seem to have just enough new plants for myself and to give away to others that admire this plant.

Photo was taken today

{{gwi:768241}}

Terrance

• celtic_07
    12 years ago

I've growen it for 4 years and it has done well. It has been moved twice and seens to like part shade in the pm It hasn't spread much but I cut the flowers off.
    The rain sure knocks the hec out of it and then needs support.is pretty in the garden thou.

• ostrich
    12 years ago

Terrance, you have a stunning yard! I love how the agastache mixes in with the other plants. Pardon me since I am still extremely new to gardening in AB, do I see a mix of annuals and perennials there? The colours and textures are just wonderful!

Do you have a pretty protected yard with some nice, milder micro-climate?

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Luckygal & Twrosz, Thanks so much for sharing your pictures. It is great to hear others are having success with some of the named cultivars. I have taken note of 'Blue Fortune' and 'Golden Jubilee' and will watch for those. Modest self seeding, I can deal with.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Hi Ostrich,

Here's a wider range photo of the vegetable garden set upon a rather pronounced slope, most all of the veggies are off to the right and out of view. My backyard is very sheltered and becomes toasty warm on sunny mild days. The vast majority of flowers are annuals, though this is too much work with always having to start from seed and considerable time and thought is required setting them out in proper placement to one another. In time, the area will be transformed with the usage of perennials and compact shrubs with a few annuals sprinkled about.

North53, 'Golden Jubilee' may have difficulty surviving your winters, though it's worth a try and they're also quick and easy annuals.

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Really nice and colourful Twrosz! I like how you interspersed the red spikes of what looks like amaranthus? throughout the bed.
    The nice thing about annuals is you can have continuous bloom and can change it up every year. I always struggle to find annuals that can flourish in my perennial border. The perennials grow so tall, they shade out the annuals before they can get established. Plus they need to not be slug bait! This year my plan was to have pots of dahlias for a punch of colour. It was a failure, because even though they're in pots, the slugs have devastated them. (We had lots of rain this summer, which means lots of mosquitoes, which in turn hampers my slug control efforts. I lose interest in maintenance of my garden when it is difficult to just be out there without arming myself with poison.)

• ostrich
    12 years ago

Wow, Terrance, this is just gorgeous! Truly spectacular colours. Maybe I am just too new to Calgary, but I usually only see a few trees and shrubs in people's yards, so this is such a treat! Is your backyard sheltered by trees? The new house that I am moving into is up on a hill, but then it faces south and is very sunny, and is surrounded by other homes. So I am hoping that it will be warmer there too... thanks again for the photo. You are giving me hope :-)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

North53, indeed that's amaranthus you see in the photo, I grow many varieties, one of my favorites produces red and green spikes, it had appeared as a chance seedling. Yes, it's true, that unless there's enough elbow room and sun shining upon them, annuals might not do so great being tucking between perennials and shrubs.

Ostrich, my backyard (near Edmonton) is surrounded and protected by trees that provides for a great micro climate. I hope you enjoy your new home and gardens in Calgary! Alberta has its own set of climate challenges, though especially in the Chinook zone, but despite such there's still a vast array of plant material that can be successfully grown and many here most willing to assist with your selections.