Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anise hyssop anyone?

Posted by north53 1b Manitoba (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 29, 11 at 11:09

First time I've planted this wildflower in my garden. So far I'm loving it. I don't know how much it will self-seed, but it's great to have something blooming at the end of August. Anyone growing any of the hybrids? I only have the species.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anise hyssop anyone?

very pretty! I had a White Anise Hyssop in the garden a few years ago, but it never came back or self-seeded :(

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 30, 11 at 11:11

I grew it from seed a few years back. They were big, healthy plants full of bloom. I was completely surprised when none of them made it through winter. I thought they'd be perennial here.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 30, 11 at 19:03

I used to grow Agastache foeniculum(sp?). I bought it at Richters Herbs. I loved the smell of it after a rain! It is listed as hardy to z4. The other ones they have are not hardy past z6. To bad because there are some really nice ones out there. It makes a nice tea to. It also reseeds quite well. Marg

o

I had no idea that you could grow agastache in zone 1b! They are gorgeous. I had some in my previous zone 5 yard and they did smell nice. I thought that they were hardy to zone 5 only... well, I was clearly wrong! :-)

o

I purchased the seed from Garden's North and they had it rated as zone 2. It has survived one winter so far, but I guess I don't have to worry about it taking over the yard if it's not hardy.

o

North53, that's very pretty! Last year I bought 2 small Hyssop Agastache 'Blue Fortune' and they did very well. This is a pic from last year as I moved them this spring and didn't bother taking a pic as only a few short blooms.

Hyssop Agastache 'Blue Fortune'

Non of the seeds survived as I raised the level of the bed they were in. Probably should have deadheaded and not let them go to seed last year and they might have done better this year.

The plant tag on this plant said zone 2 but most online sites say zone 4. We usually get good snow cover here in zone 3b so hope it will survive awhile.

o

Agastache 'Golden Jubilee' is an attractive all round good performer in my garden. It normally survives my winters and modestly self sows, I always seem to have just enough new plants for myself and to give away to others that admire this plant.

Photo was taken today

Photobucket

Terrance

o

I've growen it for 4 years and it has done well. It has been moved twice and seens to like part shade in the pm It hasn't spread much but I cut the flowers off.
The rain sure knocks the hec out of it and then needs support.is pretty in the garden thou.

o

Terrance, you have a stunning yard! I love how the agastache mixes in with the other plants. Pardon me since I am still extremely new to gardening in AB, do I see a mix of annuals and perennials there? The colours and textures are just wonderful!

Do you have a pretty protected yard with some nice, milder micro-climate?

o

Luckygal & Twrosz, Thanks so much for sharing your pictures. It is great to hear others are having success with some of the named cultivars. I have taken note of 'Blue Fortune' and 'Golden Jubilee' and will watch for those. Modest self seeding, I can deal with.

o

Hi Ostrich,

Here's a wider range photo of the vegetable garden set upon a rather pronounced slope, most all of the veggies are off to the right and out of view. My backyard is very sheltered and becomes toasty warm on sunny mild days. The vast majority of flowers are annuals, though this is too much work with always having to start from seed and considerable time and thought is required setting them out in proper placement to one another. In time, the area will be transformed with the usage of perennials and compact shrubs with a few annuals sprinkled about.

North53, 'Golden Jubilee' may have difficulty surviving your winters, though it's worth a try and they're also quick and easy annuals.

Photobucket

o

Really nice and colourful Twrosz! I like how you interspersed the red spikes of what looks like amaranthus? throughout the bed.
The nice thing about annuals is you can have continuous bloom and can change it up every year. I always struggle to find annuals that can flourish in my perennial border. The perennials grow so tall, they shade out the annuals before they can get established. Plus they need to not be slug bait! This year my plan was to have pots of dahlias for a punch of colour. It was a failure, because even though they're in pots, the slugs have devastated them. (We had lots of rain this summer, which means lots of mosquitoes, which in turn hampers my slug control efforts. I lose interest in maintenance of my garden when it is difficult to just be out there without arming myself with poison.)

o
Gorgeous!

Wow, Terrance, this is just gorgeous! Truly spectacular colours. Maybe I am just too new to Calgary, but I usually only see a few trees and shrubs in people's yards, so this is such a treat! Is your backyard sheltered by trees? The new house that I am moving into is up on a hill, but then it faces south and is very sunny, and is surrounded by other homes. So I am hoping that it will be warmer there too... thanks again for the photo. You are giving me hope :-)

o

North53, indeed that's amaranthus you see in the photo, I grow many varieties, one of my favorites produces red and green spikes, it had appeared as a chance seedling. Yes, it's true, that unless there's enough elbow room and sun shining upon them, annuals might not do so great being tucking between perennials and shrubs.

Ostrich, my backyard (near Edmonton) is surrounded and protected by trees that provides for a great micro climate. I hope you enjoy your new home and gardens in Calgary! Alberta has its own set of climate challenges, though especially in the Chinook zone, but despite such there's still a vast array of plant material that can be successfully grown and many here most willing to assist with your selections.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here