Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

Best places to buy hostas from around Calgary?

ostrich
11 years ago

I am starting to plan for my hosta garden under the Show Mountain Ash (next year's project!). What are the best places with the largest and healthiest selection (and hopefully good prices, too!) of hostas around Calgary?

Thanks!

Comments (17)

• north53 Z2b MB
    11 years ago

I can't help with where to buy hosta in Calgary, but growers do ship. I've received very nice specimens that way.
    But I wanted to warn you about the roots of Mountain Ash. I'm finding it difficult to garden near mine. I'd stay as far away from the tree as you can, or use some kind of barrier to give the hosta roots a chance.

• ostrich
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, north53!

Can you tell me more about the Mountain Ash root system please? I really was not aware of it being invasive or anything like that. Does it make growing anything under the tree very difficult?

BTW, what hosta growers/mailing company do you use please?

Thanks again!

• northspruce
    11 years ago

I rarely buy or even accept hostas from anywhere but specialty growers. I'm too worried about HVX, as there was one with it in my garden when I moved here.

I ordered this time last year from Hostageek.ca (Fundy Beauties). I was very pleased with the quality and size. Not a single one was lost over the winter. He has some nice sales in the fall.

I've never heard anything about mountain ash roots impairing other plants, but my garden starts about 10' away from my mountain ash so who knows.

• north53 Z2b MB
    11 years ago

I wouldn't say the mountain ash is invasive, it's just that the roots seem quite fibrous and are everywhere I try to plant something. Some hostas nearby have started to decline. I think it's the roots. I'm not having the same issue with my crabapple or the nannyberry. But it may just be an anomaly in my yard. In any case, 10 feet away sounds good to me.

I totally agree with northspruce about Hostageek. I was very satisfied with my purchases from him. He is very up front about his experience with HVX also. I wouldn't buy from anyone who doesn't know about HVX. It's sad to have to destroy a plant you've been nurturing.

• ostrich
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info, northspruce and north53! I just went to the website and I love the photos! How big are the hostas that they ship out?

North53, regarding the Mountain Ash, which one do you have? I have Showy Mountain Ash - just wondering what you have there?

• northspruce
    11 years ago

Size depends a lot on the variety. Mine were all as big as you'd expect without costing too much to ship. Each was nicely wrapped in sphagnum moss and elastics.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    11 years ago

Undoubtedly the best hosta supplier is Pat Vinish at Fundy's Beauties. Great end of season sales and clear of HVX. Never lost one of his, even planted in October in Edmonton. :)

Ginny

• north53 Z2b MB
    11 years ago

Ostrich,
    My mountain ash were from seedlings given to me, so definitely not the showy variety.

• valleyrimgirl
    11 years ago

Just to let you know...the Hostageek now has his fall sale up and going. Lots of selection once again....

http://hostageek.ca/

Brenda

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Pat at Fundy Beauties has such beautiful healthy plants. I got 29 last fall on their mature sale and he sent the whole bunch on the bus as the PO was on strike and for the 15$ shipping he charged it cost him close to $100 to send on the bus. Very trusting person. All the plants from him look like they were planted for years when the came up in the spring with loads of shoots. I just placed another order of 27 mature plants and am waiting anxiously for their arrival.
    Most of these Hosta in the picture were just planted last fall

• ostrich
    Original Author
    11 years ago

almosthooked, thanks for the gorgeous photo! Now I know where to go for mature hostas when I am ready for the hosta garden!!! Thanks again.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Alomost hooked found this old thread.....just online and it took me here.....I was looking at their site and if their prices right now are for mature hostas then that's not bad. So in the falls he has them on sale??? Gees I might still get more in the fall!! hahahaha

Hope you still get this old thread. To everybody else who may get this old thread how did you make out with these guys??

michelle

• ostrich
    Original Author
    9 years ago

michelle, I still have not got my hosta bed figured out so I have not made any purchase yet! However, with all of the HVX stuff going on, I just don't dare to buy hostas from any store around here anymore.... including the local nurseries because some of them seem to get them from the same suppliers as the big box stores! Yikes....

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Ostrich....I hear ya on the HVX. I am in SK and basically just bought around here, walmart Canadian tire, peavey mart and the local owned nurseries. I never bought online or anything and I DID NOT KNOW about the HVX. I had heard whispers but nothing to alarm me at. Well, last year one of the local nurseries where I usually got my stuff from closed down and had a big sale on everything. I bought lots at 70% off, hostas, iris, daylilies you name it. Anyways, to make this shorter, I had this spring five hostas from that nursery which had HVX!! I was devastated and heartbroken. I checked online and it would always take me to the hosta forum. Finally I joined and the nice people I have met informed me that yes I do have it bad. so got rid of them.....and am watching everything else. I sanitize my tools now also which was another thing I didn't do. I purchased hostas online from Ontario from reputable places, and just put another order through yesterday for another 20. Plus I can't stay off this computer talking to people on hosta forum and looking up new places in Canada to buy from.
    Its heartbreaking when you don't have much money to begin with and in five years time I have collected between 250-300 hostas.......but am only now getting into fancy names. When I run out of room I will give away some of my doubles....but not until I know my yard is free of disease.

Michelle

• alvina01
    9 years ago

Hostasdirect have huge collection of Hostas plants, they also have many varieties of Hostas and Heucheras.

• ostrich
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! But isn't Hostasdirect based in MN? I imagine that I cannot buy them across the border? I wonder how those hostas growers did down east this past winter, with all that heavy, heavy snow fall?

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

I can only assume that if you wanted a spring shipment it might get to you in August after all the snow melts!!!!