Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

Calgary Carpet vs. Buffalo juniper?

ostrich
9 years ago

I have a rock garden in my front yard, and the landscaper planted a Calgary Carpet juniper in one spot between the rocks last year. It did not survive this past winter and so I need to replace it. I believe the reason why it did not do well was because the juniper was planted a bit low and this area trapped moisture between the rocks. So when I removed the dead juniper, it was essentially in rather moist soil that it did not tolerate. I suppose I need to plant it a bit higher then. Interestingly, there were some Blue Rug Junipers in similar areas and they did just fine.

Anyway, I went to a garden centre yesterday and saw some nice Calgary Carpet Junipers. Just as I was about to purchase one, I saw some very nice Buffalo Junipers. It seemed to have similar colours and texture, except that the branching pattern is more upright and random, causing a more architectural shape.

I am wondering what your thoughts and experience are, regarding Buffalo vs. Calgary Carpet Juniper please?

Thank you!

Comments (11)

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    9 years ago

In the descriptions from a local nursery, Calgary Carpet is considered an excellent ground cover and Buffalo Juniper is listed as good for cascading over rocks. I haven`t grown either so that is all the help I can give you!!!!

• ostrich
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, shillanorth!

That is a very good point. In fact, I just took a picture to show you the area - I planted the Buffalo Juniper there last night:

So I guess the trailing branches of the Buffalo Juniper would be better for this area?

Now that I have it there, I saw the Blue Rug Juniper (see that little thing to the right of the Buffalo Juniper) - in fact, should I have another blue creeping juniper here instead? Hmm.... I love these blue creeping junipers but they seem to be more ground hugging and have less of a "presence" as these green ones. So for this area, I thought that I would like more of a "presence". I wonder what you all think?

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Alls I know is that is why all of you folks gardens look so good is you actually plan what your doing, a concept foreign to me LOL...

SCG

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    9 years ago

I think the Buffalo juniper has more of a presence - it adds substance and structure and is not overwhelmed by the lovely, large rocks - it becomes more the focal point whereas the rocks would stand out more if you used another blue creeping juniper. That`s my story and I`m stickin`to it!!!!

• ostrich
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, shillanorth! I looked at it again this evening and I like the Buffalo Juniper more now. I think that the way that its branches will trail and climb around the rocks will be more interesting than the Calgary Carpet Juniper. When the green branches of the Buffalo Juniper reaches across to meet the Blue Rug Juniper, it will probably be more interesting too.

SCG - I may appear to "plan" for my yard but I am a terribly impulsive plant buyer!!! Yikes.... so even with all the planning that I may do, everything goes down the drain when I see them lovely plants that I have to have.... LOL!

9 years ago

I hear ya about impulsive....

While on the impulsive buying binge I suggest a 5 gal pail of Sealer/clear coat for your exposed aggregate steps/sidewalk. Hard to tell from the pic but they should look 'wet'.

SCG

• ostrich
    Original Author
    9 years ago

SCG - I cannot hide ANYTHING from you, can I!? Sigh....

Yes, it's about time to re-seal my aggregate driveway. I had it done 2 years ago by some guy but I am going to try to do it myself this year.

However, I just have not had the time to do so yet - when you're a single guy, you have lots of things to get on with!!! And the weather has not been that cooperative in Calgary either.... anyway, I will get to it some time soon, I HOPE!

9 years ago

Hehe,

Sealer is a pretty easy task. I highly suggest washing with Muratic acid before applying and if parking on it use a degreaser. I use a scrub brush on a pole, like you would use for a paint roller to wash with acid. On the bottle will be instructions to clean concrete. After washed with acid/degreaser I would pressure wash it off. Then let dry, on a calm day, then spray or roll sealer on.

I have been known to be tricked into hire for small jobs in undesirable places if the need should arise :)

If you think your busy when single try two young kids although I can appreciate the time needed to find that 'special' someone!

SCG

• ostrich
    Original Author
    9 years ago

SCG, you sound like a pretty handy guy! :-) Ha, are you by any chance coming to somewhere undesirable like Calgary any time soon!? :-)

BTW, can I use this muriatic acid to wash my Roman Stone patio with? It was installed 2 years ago and looks great, except that it has developed a whitish hazy layer of "stuff" over it when dry, but it would look great when wet, just like how the Roman stone should look. The landscape guy said that it's the lime stuff coming out of the stones. What do you think?

9 years ago

Yes, I would try the Muratic acid. Although it is primarily used to clean the excess concrete/mortar off it also should get rid of the lime since it is a component of concrete/mortar. I would be sure to try it in an inconspicuous spot first. The patio sounds like it needs to be coated as well.

I don't have plans to be in Calgary any time soon. Like I said, I usually have to be tricked to go there :-)

SCG

• ostrich
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh boy, now I need to find out how to "trick" certain individuals to come to Calgary.... LOL

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County