Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Far North phlox paniculata varieties?

Posted by north53 1b Manitoba (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 11:45

Another thread showing what looks like a stunning phlox prompts this question.
I've noticed that a lot of comments about phlox on the perennial forum mention a problem with mildew, but the two varieties I have never have trouble with it. So maybe I could try more of them. I only have the common purple one and a white called David.
What are your recommendations? And if you have pictures that would be great too. Thanks.
I'm at that point of the summer where I'm looking at my garden plotting changes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Far North phlox paniculata varieties?

I have Dave as well, and a pink one that isn't blooming yet. I did have some purple ones but they seem to have disappeared over the years.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I've never had PM problems with this one.

o

David is quite resistant to powdery mildew so is a good choice. I had Norah Leigh which has variegated leaves with pinky-violet flowers that was resistant as well but she didn't overwinter for me this year; it was a brutal winter. Natasha and Laura are said to be less susceptible to mildew as well. If you google Mildew Resistant Phlox you will get a list of cultivars that are less mildew prone and advice for growing.

o

There is a discussion on Phlox over on the Perennial Forum you might want to check out; lots of nice pictures.

o

I have never had much luck growing phlox. Tried a few times and it rarely overwinters. Even the arctic phlox doesn't survive.

o

I love tall garden phlox! This is 'Becky Towe'.

This post was edited by twrosz on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 1:05

o

Very nice Twrosz! How long have you had it?
I'm interested in the varieties that are hardy in Far North gardens. My SIL had a Nora Leigh, but it didn't overwinter for her.
Donna, the purple one I have has been thriving for many years. It would fill the whole bed if I let it. I'll go take a picture of it today.

o

north53, I've grown 'Becky Towe' for at least 15 years. Most garden phlox do well here in zone 3, though I've had problems when we've received very little snow cover ... thankfully, that's rarely been the case with being in a snow belt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here