Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciaz3

This year's superstars

I was looking for something in some old posts and came across the superstars one from last summer. So let's see what's looking lovely in your gardens this year!

For me it's the clematis Pope John Paul. I planted it in the memorial garden i made for my mom (she's up there now conferring with him on religious matters), and it's just amazing!

Comments (45)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

That is really beautiful! I am going to have to really think of what has been great in my yard this year. Most certainly will go either to a hosta or astible. I will try to provide a pic.

Again love the pic.

SCG

• beegood_gw
    9 years ago

Thats a beautiful clematis. Will have to find something I can show off .q

• beegood_gw
    9 years ago

Thats a beautiful clematis. Will have to find something I can show off .q

• ostrich
    9 years ago

marcia, that clematis is lovely! Thanks for the eye candy!

I am not sure if I have any superstar in my yard this year.... certain things have done well, but I would not call them "superstars". The ones that have done well are:

- Incrediball hydrangeas
    - Lychnis coronaria
    - Dianthus Cheddar Pink

The problem is, many of my plants did not bloom well or did not bloom at all this year, probably as a result of the long, cold, wet spring. Oh well, I now have to wait for yet another year....

• northspruce
    9 years ago

It certainly does look great, Marcia. My winner was daylily Always Afternoon - its so big and covered with flowers. Also Fuschia Dream, you can see it from miles away. It's also my first year with Bee Balm and I love it.

No pics, because the PC is acting up. :(

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My daylily, Brookswood Lee Causey is like that, Gil - big, bright and beautiful!

I should have added my Kyushu hydrangea to the duds thread as it was gone this spring. :(

9 years ago

Well with the cold, damp spring I don't really have any superstars. The few that may have been stars got mowed down by the deer. Fixed the deer issue with a 10' high wire fence. Not totally complete but done where they usually access.

So methinks from what the deer didn't get the top spot goes to the hosta I planted as a root 2 years ago that didn't show up this this summer. I long ago threw the name tag out so I can't even call it by name.

Here is the other performers.

'September sun'

Clematis 'Jackmannii Superba' on the shop

White and red Astible with a heuchera

Vancouver Sea Breeze unfortunately mowed to the ground

and the superstar of the year award goes to this spotted variety of the 4 legged slugs. Sorry pic is a little blurry as it started to run with its sibling.

SCG

Original Author
    9 years ago

OMG - i want that white astilbe!!!!!! I probably have that white astilbe but it doesn't look a bit like that! I also like the hosta - i think i like the name, actually. :) And the deer is cute too! LOL

9 years ago

Marciaz3 I will happily send you some if you want this fall... I didn't get a pic when in full bloom but it was spectacular.

SCG

Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh no, don't worry about that - but thanks! I have some white astilbe but it doesn't grow like that. Yours is gorgeous! My red one is nice like yours, but not the white.

• ostrich
    9 years ago

SCG, you have got some very, very healthy and lovely plants there!!! WOW!

Sadly, I cannot get any clematis going here.... and yet yours are so beautiful. Sigh!

My gosh, those astilbes are amazing!

9 years ago

Thanks ostrich! Wonder why clematis hate you.. Hopefully I have my deer problem fixed so they can reach full potential.

SCG

• north53 Z2b MB
    9 years ago

My 'wow' performer this year has to be this Santa Cruz begonia. I started them from seed last year and was surprised when I dumped the pots in the fall to find they had formed bulbs. I planted them this spring and they grew quickly. I have them planted all over. Love them. They smothered everything else in the pot. Hopefully I can overwinter them again.

• north53 Z2b MB
    9 years ago

As far as perennials go the superstars for me this year has to be hostas. They loved the cool wet weather. Here's a few.

• northspruce
    9 years ago

Wow Marie, that second last one with the wrinkly leaves is fantastic!

9 years ago

Yeah I was going to ask the name of that rugose one too....very nice. You are making me impatient to let mine grow!!

SCG

Original Author
    9 years ago

Those are beautiful hostas, Marie!

• north53 Z2b MB
    9 years ago

Second from last is Niagara Falls. It is huge.

9 years ago

Thanks I am going to have to try and find that one....lovely. Do you have 'Sum and Substance' by chance that you could share a pic of?

SCG

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

SCG,

Here are a couple pics of my Sum & Substance...the darker green is from earlier.

One of my superstars has to be my daylilies (South Seas and Salieri are shown):

9 years ago

Thanks for the pic. They look great.

SCG

• ostrich
    9 years ago

north53, your hostas are absolutely gorgeous! Thanks!

Donna, what is that deep blue/purple beauty behind your very lovely daylilies please?

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

ostrich, it's monkshood - I have the solid blue and the bicolour.

• don555
    9 years ago

Superstar for me this year would be daylilies.

9 years ago

absolutely beautiful don555...as it is common for me I must point out you missed cutting a little grass in the background :-) hehe...

SCG

• ostrich
    9 years ago

don, your daylilies are STUNNING! What varieties are they please?

I tend to choose those ones with rather soft colours - I need to get something like these with brilliant, vibrant colours instead!!!

Ouch.... SCG will now encourage me to S.P. mine..... oops!

• don555
    9 years ago

Thanks folks! Unfortunately I dont' recall the varieties, I was more focussed on mature size, mostly around 26", but the specific varieties I never kept track of.... oops.

Original Author
    9 years ago

The orange and yellow ones on the end look like my Brookswood Lee Causey.

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

My guesses for Don's daylilies would be: at the back, some sort of lemon daylily/Happy Returns/Hyperion...then there's Bonanza...at the front left might be Strawberry Candy peeking through. There are a lot of red daylilies, one common one would be Chicago Apache...do any of these ring a bell, Don?

• don555
    9 years ago

Hmm, Chicago Apache does kind of ring a bell. None of the others though, but that could well be me just not remembering.

I did go through all the spots where I thought I could have placed old garden tags and did find one for daylily.... "Fooled Me", a yellow lily with a red centre. That's probably a more recent tag, so maybe a lily I used to replace an older one that wasn't performing?

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

Don,

I looked up 'Fooled Me' and it sure looks like the front one if the colours are accurate in your photo. I'm fairly certain about Bonanza being the second from the back since that one is pretty distinctive (and quite common).

I have a few of "no ID" daylilies in my garden - I should really post them to see whether anyone recognizes them...one reason I like to buy daylilies in pots AND in bloom is they can't be mislabeled.

9 years ago

haha Donna funny you mention mislabeled day lilies. I am in the process of negotiation for about 50 unlabelled day lilies. I will know what they will be after bloom but not till then. LOL! at $1 each I am not sure I will be able to resist.

SCG

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

One can only hope you don't end up with 50 Stella D'Oro daylilies, SCG. ;)

9 years ago

Not sure why that would be a bad thing. Here, and I am sure like there, they are extremely rare to see. They are also trying to get me to buy the pink and red peonies. Yes, they are the rare ones like the Stella D'Oro that nobody has.

SCG

• northspruce
    9 years ago

My neighbour down the street did his whole front yard in river rock and Stella D'Oro daylilies. Not my thang. I have to confess it was nicely done, but... meh.

9 years ago

Haha I was kidding..there is 2.6 million of them around here. One person liked them so much that they lined the ditch with them. I am also scared now because I was gifted some this year and I don't know what they are LOL.

SCG

• beegood_gw
    9 years ago

My Hollyhocks were my favourites. They are a Russian variety and well over 8 ft tall . Bumblebees love them

9 years ago

Nice photo! I love hollyhocks.....

SCG

Original Author
    9 years ago

I see you have a yellow one. I had some too but they never came back. The ones in their place are pink, obviously reseeded from the ones across the path.

• northspruce
    9 years ago

I think I have about the same colour, maybe a touch of greenish. The third clump bloomed this year and turned out to be the yellow & pink blend that I thought I had.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I only have one or two of the original hollyhock i planted. It was called "Indian Spring" - kind of a soft corally-pink on an ivory background. Really pretty.

• beegood_gw
    9 years ago

Absolutely nothing kills these guys I hÃÂ ve tried. Want to plant them along the fence line. Can just grow there to there hearts content . If anyone ever wants seeds just let me know

• beegood_gw
    9 years ago

Absolutely nothing kills these guys I hÃÂ ve tried. Want to plant them along the fence line. Can just grow there to there hearts content . If anyone ever wants seeds just let me know

Original Author
    9 years ago

For some reason, mine looked like they were all gone at the beginning of last summer, but there were new seedlings that grew. And there were no seeds on any of the plants, or very few. I was sure i'd see the resident chipmunk this year with hollyhocks growing out of his butt! LOL

9 years ago

beegood I would send you a SASBE for some seeds. Anything you want that I might have in the way of seeds?

SCG