Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbiecz3

Non blooming daylilies

debbiecz3
14 years ago

Most of my daylilies have not bloomed this year. I did move some of them last year, could that be an issue or is it possibly related to our wet and cold summer? Is it possible to plant them too deep, like a peony? Only stella do'ra and strawberry candy have done anything this year. Others don't have any scapes at all.

Comments (6)

• northspruce
    14 years ago

We had the worst deal-breaking winter and spring that I can remember. It could be the cold and wet, or it could be the move, or both. The only other thing I can think of is if you moved them to somewhere shadier. I have some DLs that have bloomed nicely in part shade and some that thrived and increased for years but never bloomed until I moved them to a sunnier spot.

• debbiecz3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Some are in a sunny area others are in a shadier area so it's hard to say; that's one reason why I wondered about depth of planting. Gosh, is this wet and cold summer ever going to improve?

• northspruce
    14 years ago

I don't think DLs are sensitive to planting depth, within reason. I think the weather &/or the move are to blame.

• sank_chew_airy
    14 years ago

I don't find daylilies sensitive to planting depth and are very forgiving to the most novice gardener. I learned most of my gardening on the poor dears!! However, I did find they don't like certain things! They don't like really poor soil, they dislike too little sun and they hate being totally dry! They'll tolerate it, but they'll sulk and not give you many flowers, if any.

Stella D'Or is the most forgiving of all, as well as the old standby, Autumn Joy, if you're happy with yellow and... argh! A flat, kind of ugly orange!

The more exotic ones tend to need a lot more babying! I do have some brilliant reds that bloom in abundance for me, no matter what the weather or care, but some of the other exotics need a lot of sunshine, water AND fertilizer! Which I don't like to use, I prefer using organic stuff like working manure or compost into the soil. However, I will use fertilizer on the annuals in baskets.

I've purchased many of the fancier ones and gradually gotten rid of the ones that need too much care.

If you are located in Manitoba, as I am thinking you are, you are probably getting the same weather we are in Saskatchewan and part of the problem could be not enough sunshine. So, if you are not getting flowers this year and are not averse to fertilizers, try fertilizing. You will probably have a bumper crop of flowers next year, because in most instances, moving daylilies doesn't affect them much. Unless, of course, you are really breaking up the clumps and separating the fans.

• Crazy_Gardener
    14 years ago

I'd say it was the cool weather and the lack of rain in our parts of the woods this season.

Sharon

• northspruce
    14 years ago

No lack of rain here in MB, it's rained almost every day all summer. It's been very cold though.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus