Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny_mclean_petite_garden

Cucs and a boomerang

Looks like my experiment paid off this year. I planted cucumbers with my daylilies this year so they would have all kinds of room to wander. They wandered and the daylilies seemed to like the company. This morning I was watering and weeding and found a few extra large ones along with some long whites. The straight one is 16 inches long! My neighbours are happy. :)

Ginny

Comments (13)

• mytime
    11 years ago

How is the flavor of the whites?

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They are very mild tasting. Similar to a Morden Early I think. Thin skin, no peeling required. First time I've grown them and they seem to be doing great! :)

Ginny

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

Those cucs look great Ginny!

Never have seen cucumber plants grow so big and lush as this year. The heat, humidity and moisture sure had them going to town at the expense of early production. The vines were large and tender when struck by moderate hail on August 4 th ... though, fortunately that hadn't set them back too much and are now pumping out the harvest.

I only have one variety 'Sassy' from Stokes Seeds, the quality of this one is excellent, nice tender skins and excellent interiors and growing on healthy plants, oh they taste great also! I've given up on 'Cool Breeze' with its prickly fruit and plants that get leaf blotch and go yellow well before frost ... it's a good producer and tastes good also, though for many reasons, I'm much more pleased with 'Sassy'.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I can't remember what I planted exactly. 5 or 6 varieties. Long White, Green Dragon, Spacemaster, Summer Dance, Market More and Morden Early I think. Oddly I didn't plant Sweet Slice which I love. Summer Dance is supposed to be superior to it. ??

I didn't get those guys in till the end of June! Happy plants! :)

Ginny

• northspruce
    11 years ago

I'm growing something packaged for kids called 'dragon', maybe it's Green Dragon? I was annoyed when DH dragged them home for DD because I don't love cukes and haven't grown them for years. Planted 4 to make them happy; the cutworms got 3, and the one plant has run rampant and good thing because DD has decided cukes are her favourite food. I've been impressed with these anyway, if I pick them at 6-8 inches they are very sweet and have tender skins.

I've never seen such a season for growing curcurbits since 2003, when it was both hot and rainy.

• bdgardener
    11 years ago

I agree with the great growing for cukes this year. I have Morden early and a pickling one that I have had for years and this year decided to get rid of all the seeds. Think I have had them since 2006. My 9 year old has decided that cukes are his veg this summer and so far I don't have any to pickle. Oh well. Morden just starting to get to a decent size I like them 5-6 inches. I normally don't like cukes that much and never but them from the store, but this year wow, I'm fighting for them. Cheryl

Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm also impressed with Green Dragon. I clearly have a thing for dragons so I couldn't resist.Since my neighbours love cucs as much as I do, I also used up seed from 2006 (Park's Marketmore).

Funny how kids seem to like garden grown vegies and not store bought. You think they are just born with good taste? Lol!

Ginny

• northspruce
    11 years ago

So I looked it up and we are growing Green Dragon cukes. And Knight peas and Rattlesnake pole beans. All packaged for kids from McKenzie. DD has been excited to grow and eat them, and they're actually good varieties, so kudos to McKenzie for picking good selections to put a cartoon on the package of. ;)

• bdgardener
    11 years ago

The whole reason that I grow such a huge veggie garden is for my kids, my mom did it for my brother and me and the generation before and so on and so forth. I ran into children a couple of years ago who didn't realize that peas came in a pod and had no idea how to open them or to eat them raw. It broke my heart. :( Cheryl

Original Author
    11 years ago

They also did Munchkin Sunflowers, Gil. I bought a pack for my grown up kids just cause. :)

I was thinking the exact same thing, Cheryl, this morning when I last posted. Believe it or not, I had a girlfriend years ago who had never eaten a fresh pea either. She said, "You can eat raw peas?". I couldn't believe it! I thought she came from another planet! I didn't know you could buy frozen ones!!!

Dad was a huge gardener and we always had fresh vegies all summer.....and the task of digging and planting and watering and harvesting the goods much to the chagrin of my siblings. I was the only one who seemed to come by it naturally. :) Cheers for us gardeners!!!

Ginny

• donna_in_sask
    11 years ago

Where are those white cuke seeds from?

I am growing Cool Breeze and hybrid sweet slice. They are growing up trellises that my husband built for me last year. They do so much better climbing than sprawling, in my garden anyway...Muncher is also a good variety...I did plant some seeds of that one but I haven't seen any ripe ones yet. I had to reseed all my cukes because the first ones didn't germinate well.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I have over 30 varieties of cuc seeds including 4 white or whitish ones. The Long White seeds I got from T&M according to my list. They are supposed to be a greenhouse cuc but they are just having a great time in my garden this year. Apparently, they can get really long, hence the name. I am picking them at about 6 inches or so. Even the dogs like them.....whole.....off the vine! Brats!

I have grown Muncher and Cool Breeze and still have seeds.

I think I planted 20 plants this year. I don't mind them sprawling since they have kept the soil shaded for my lilies. They are, however, jumping the little fences around the flower bed. :)

Ginny

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, it was fun while it lasted. :) My cucs did amazing this year and were full of blossoms still............when the hail hit. :( I harvested this batch Monday morning so I could send fresh back to Calgary with the kids. I still have a few babies out there and even a few blossoms but I think the end of the line has come for my vines. They have all been delicious and everyone I know has tasted white cucumbers now. :)

Ginny

Front street an hour after the hail