Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Jam from Shubert Chokecherries ?

nutsaboutflowers
14 years ago

Hi Everyone =:)

I have a shubert Chokecherry that has a ton of berries on it.

Does anyone here make jam from theirs? I usually just leave the berries for the birds, but maybe I should use them this year.

I assume they're edible. Do they have annoying pits and if I can make jam, is it good enough to bother?

Comments (13)

• cmmwiebe
    14 years ago

By all means use the berries! Yes they will have stones so likely the easiest thing is to cook them slowly in water about 45 min to an hour and press the juice out through a cheesecloth or clean cloth flour bag material or old tea towel. Then make the juice up to jelly or a very nice syrup. Lots of recipes on line. My wife sells jams and jellies and also Chokecherry syrup. It makes a great flavour stirred into plain yogurt! She has a lady friend who buys it just for that purpose.

Clayton

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

And....any jam/jelly, nutsaboutflowers?

Have some in the freezer of native chokecherries, including sand cherries, gooseberries and pin cherries, ....like I usually do before processing, they easier fall apart when freezing first, I'll make some with mixing in honey, I like the syrup, usually I mix it with hot water and make a drink.

Great info. Clayton!

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Absolutely make jelly or jam! One year I made 120 small baby food jars of jelly from 2 trees. My mom used to make it all the time from these very trees and it is oh so delicious! Same way Clayton decribed it! Yummy, yummy, yummy! :)

Ginny

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

I use the wild ones as I have lots on my property and mix them with Hi-Bush cranberries for pancake syrup. Not everyones cup of tea but I like it.
    Does anyone know if Red elderberries are safe to eat( like in Juice) once they are cooked.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Mixing them up can make a nice combination.
    The red elderberries should be safe when cooked as long you don't eat the pits, I know of someone who has used them,.. but don't count me on it.

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

I have heard they are safe but there is that lingering doubt...what if?... Sure wish they were as my place is loaded with them and more growing all the time.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Konrad asked if I made any jam/jelly since I posted this question.

I ended up not having time the year I posted, and last year I didn't get enough berries. I had very few blossoms compared to other years. I'm hoping for a bumper crop this year =:)

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. We can't possibly have 3 terrible growing seasons in a row, right?

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Yea..It's YOUR Year!

We should be good for a couple of years with jelly and syrup, about 18 liters.

Chokecherry I did separate [syrup], the pin cherry, gooseberry and western sand cherry mix turned out to be the best tasting.

• momof4ont4
    12 years ago

beegood, If the red elderberries are red when ripe (purple stems), they're fine. I make jam with them myself. If the stems haven't turned purple yet, give them time to darken.

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

Gee thanks Momof4ont4. Will have to try that.It's a shame to see them all go to waste. Well not really as the birds eat them . I tried jelly and had a small taste and really liked it but then heard that they were practically deadly. Will post if I survive. LOL

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Sure...increase dosage from day to day, LOL.

Birds like them very much, these are relatively early berries, this from Aug. 20, I like the looks of these.

• momof4ont4
    12 years ago

Nice pic konrad___far_north! Yup, those look just like mine. Aren't all elderberries poisonous before they ripen? I thought that was why the birds don't touch them until they ripen, and then you have to pick them quick or they'll be gone in a couple of days. Once the stems turn purple they're safe. That's always been my understanding anyway.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Thank you momof4ont4!

Good to know about the stems...I have to remember this one.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living