Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

Hydrangea 'Invincibelle Spirit'

marricgardens
12 years ago

In the past five years, I have bought a few hydrangeas but all panniculatas. Then I saw Invincibelle Spirit and decided I had to have it. It is supposed to be hardy to Z3 and that its a mophead. I was wondering if anyone has it and can tell me anything about it? Thanks. Marg

Comments (9)

• shazam_z3
    12 years ago

Are you in zone 5a? Because if you are you'll have no problem growing it.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes I'm in Z5a. I was wondering just how hardy it was. Where we are it is very windy, the winds just whistle thru here in winter. We have lost trees and some shrubs but so far, no hydrangeas. I think IS is a gorgeous color and want to add that to the ones I already have. Thanks. Marg

• diane_v_44
    12 years ago

Did you purchase Hydrangea Invincibelle Spirit yet

I am looking for one more neat one to plant in my yard this season when prices go down

They do fabulously well for me in Barrie Ontario zone 5 and look good in the garden all gardening season.
    Marvellous addition to the gardens

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I haven't bought it yet but I like it and am looking for it. I did post on the Hydrangea forum to and was told that the color is not that good, that Bella Anna was better. I did a bit of research and BA does have sturdier stems. One that I do have that you might like is 'Pinkie Winkie", not a big one but flowering now with pink pannicles. This one is only in its second year and is just starting to bloom. Marg

{{gwi:767814}}

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Hi Marg,

'Bella Anna' is definitely a better plant than 'Invincible Spirit' ... BA starts out looking nice, though didn't exactly match the brightly colored promo photos. It fades to a rather blah color, but here in Alberta, we experienced another rather cool summer and BA did look very good for an extended period of time, but now the big heads are a drab greenish beige, though I had expected such of the natural aging process, thankfully it has now flushed out with many brightly colored fresh blooms. Folks in hot southern regions have been vocally disappointed with the performance of these varieties. I've seen 'Invincible Spirit' at a friend's place, it was all floppy and an all round inferior plant to BA. I expect that in a few years time improved varieties will be marketed of these types. Though, don't get me wrong, I'm still rather impressed with BA and hope it winters well.

Photo showing blooms at their best.

{{gwi:769516}}

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. Good to know. We get very strong winds here so I need something that has strong stems. I'll have to look for BA. Marg

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

twrosz - Did you see the followup discussion from August 24th, A Very Good Yellow Rose?

Sorry for butting in Marg.....I only know a bit about Annabelle and Endless Summer, so can't comment on the hydrangea.

• diane_v_44
    12 years ago

Hello

I do have Pinkie Winkie and it is now five years old, in a rather dry spot but sunny I give it no care at all and is just gorgeous. Full of bloom and right near a back door

There is another, called Green something or other, that is doing fabulous as well and requires no extra watering, nor care and is just full of many many blooms

Hydrangeas are very good.
    Some of my more special Hydrangeas have only a few blooms on this year, but gorgeous blooms, the plant itself is very healthy and attractive but I have had to water them individually, quite a bit this summer

I have got to start doing pictures of the gardens

My daughter used to do the pictures for me and put them on a blog but refuses to do so this year saying I should get doing them myself
    I know she is right enough

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I look forward to seeing your pictures Diane. Marg