Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

Propagation help

I have native black chokecherries growing around the area and I would like to have some in my yard. I have tried cuttings in water, in dirt both with rooting hormone and honey etc and no luck. I would appreciate any advice on how to get these to root.

TIA

SCG

Comments (12)

• CLBlakey
    10 years ago

Can you dig up a baby?

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't found one yet. Considering getting the whole shrub as I just finished talking with the neighbour that has a backhoe there digging an addition....This may be fun!

SCG

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Boys and their toys! LOL Have fun!

If you want more of these shrubs or moving it doesn't take, you can try layering. Works quite well, in fact I think one of my roses has done that, unless it's sending up a shoot 18 inches from the base which is not likely.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagation By Layering

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks lucky. The operator wanted full price and I wasn't about to spent a couple hundred bucks. I will try that method out. I want the trees for butterflies than fruit even though I don't mind them. Thanks again

SCG

• braeburn040
    10 years ago

In my yard I have a lot of black choke cherries that have been started by the bird droppings from our tame black choke cherries they grow really fast from seed! ours also sucker, and my wife has had success from moving them.
    I don't know the process to stratify the seed, I would think just gather some seeds and press them into the ground about this time of the year and wait for results.

• intotheark
    10 years ago

for seed/pit sowing start with really ripe berries,
    and quite a few as germination is sporadic at best

- soak seeds/pits for 12-24 hours
    - prepare some moist vermiculite (put in a plastic pot and place in a bowl with an inch of water and allow to soak until it just changes color ie soaked, remove from water and allow to drain any excess water)
    - place a good layer of vermiculite in a ziplock bag and then add your seeds/pits
    - cover with more moist vermiculite and close bag and refrigerate till next spring (100 days or more)
    - remove from fridge and sow liberally in planting hole/row
    - cover with about an 1"-1.5" of friable well draining soil
    - keep moist and pray for sprouting/germination

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks intotheark, that is exactly why I was trying other methods. From all I heard from seed was iffy. I will still try to germinate some indoors.

The chokecherry is one of the best butterfly host bushes we have and I really want some.

Thanks again

SCG

• northspruce
    10 years ago

Gardens North and Tom Clothier are good resources for seed germinating advice. If neither lists your species, it's likely not a good candidate. ;)

Some seeds actually need to go through a bird to germinate. I wouldn't know if chokecherry is one of them though.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Wouldn't surprise me if chokecherries need a period of freezing as they do well in northern climates. Sorry I'm too lazy/tired today to do a search but you might try winter sowing.

• Pudge 2b
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh, I have a veritable 'lawn' of chokecherry seedlings germinating under my trees in the leaf litter every spring...believe me when I say there is absolutely nothing difficult about growing these from seed. Sow them this fall and let winter and spring do the rest for you. No need to clean the pits or anything like that. Chokecherries can be about as weedy as dandelion.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Dang pudge I feel like I need a spring road trip...they have been impossible for me to root.. Probably because I want them so badly as they are the major host plant for butterflies in the area.......Grab em in the spring and make me need to do a road trip. :O) yay

for some reason I think you are very far luckygal LOL...this province is too dang big....but...but...might do a road trip especially since it is hunting season :)

SCG

• luckygal
    10 years ago

SCG, while the hunting is probably very good up here in the back-of-beyond I don't think you'd really want to drive all day for a hunting trip when there are lots of good areas nearer! We've done road trips to the Kootenays many times as we love hot springs but it's a long drive.