Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grovegreenguy

Daylilies, please help me select

FrozeBudd_z3/4
11 years ago

I really must get more into daylilies, I have but few varieties, mostly are older reliable sorts, though a few newer ones which are really showy, although sparse bloomers with a short season.

I like most all colors and forms, just not the murky ones or old style rusty orange reds. What's important is a long bloom season and those that open well in cool weather, because unlike this summer, this part of Alberta doesn't always receive such warm temps.

Early to medium season preferred.

Sources, what would you suggest?

Thanks very much!

Terrance

Comments (15)

• nutsaboutflowers
    11 years ago

Do you like yellow? I absolutely love my Omomuki.

There's pictures on the web but they just don't do the real thing much justice.

My two had at least 60-70 blooms on them this year. They just kept coming. The blooms are massive, thick, and nicely ruffled. I got them from Mother & Daughters Daylilies.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    11 years ago

Terry, Parkland Perennials in Bruderheim is the best! You can just drive out and pick out whatever you like. $10 a plant and huge fans! Bob is really helpful with bloom times, sizes, and production. I bought 10 new ones from him last year and they have been blooming their hearts out. Two amazing reds are Angel Fire and Doug's Red Mercedes. I also have 3 similar in color that have been just great bloomers this year. Paint By Numbers, Turkish Nights, and Svengali. A beautiful dark mahogany is Norman Lee Hennell. Gotta post my pics.

I got these ones last year at about this time and put them straight in. They are doing wonderfully! :)

Ginny

PS Another good bloomer has been Dragon So.

• weeper_11
    11 years ago

Moonlit Masquerade, Starman's Quest and Kirsten's Corsage have all been blooming very well for me, many buds, long bloom season and well formed flowers, with little leaf streaking/yellowing. The last 2 are UFO(usual forms, similar to spiders)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

nutsaboutflowers ... yes, definitely VERY much like the look of Omomuki, it sounds like a fantastic daylily.

Weeper, all three of your suggestions are right up my alley, though especially Starman's Quest, that's a beauty!

Ginny, I sure hope you're at least feeling somewhat better and you can get out and enjoy your flowers and gardens. Next year, I'll be sure to take a drive (or two) out to Parkland Perennials!

Despite the hot weather, my late bloomers have trouble fully opening and are coloring up poorly, so I'm gonna avoid acquiring any late varieties.

• weeper_11
    11 years ago

Haha, I wish we had edit on these forums! I meant to write UNUSUAL forms, not "usual forms" for UFO...silly silly!

Anyway, I have ordered from Nova Scotia daylilies and Hemerocallis Haven (Joe Hawkins) before(and I recommend them both highly), though they would be mail order..they do send extra fans/gift plants to help offset the shipping price. I know that Bob at Parkland doesn't have many UFo's, if you are interested in having any.(but I think he has great selection and is definitely very nice to deal with otherwise)
    Yeah, I can understand the "no late bloomers" idea...this year has been really bad for cooking the flowers that are blooming currently.

• northspruce
    11 years ago

Two of mine that are good plants, both vigorous, big daylilies with lots of buds and a nice height to flower size ratio, are Strutter's Ball and Always Afternoon. They are somewhat older daylilies and not expensive. They are both nice colours that go with other things in the garden. I also recommend the ones I posted about recently, Matt and Lilting Belle, although neither is as huge or vigorous.

11 years ago

Always Afternoon July 2012 in my front garden. :)

Ginny

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

My Always Afternoon didn't even flower for me this year, neither did Cosmic Humingird. Marg

• northspruce
    11 years ago

Mine is one of the most surefire flowerers. Here is Strutter's Ball on the left centre, just starting to flower, and Always Afternoon on the right centre.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

'Always Afternoon' looks mighty nice to me and almost always receives high online praise.

Northspruce, you have yourself a very nice rustic setting, I love how the picket fence sets things off :)

Weeper, thanks for the suggestions and sources, I'll be checking them out!

• ontnative
    11 years ago

Hawkvalley Hemerocallis (Joe Hawkins) and Nottawasaga (Julie Wilson) are both offering some of their plants on sale right now, good deals if you see something that appeals to you. If interested, you can check out their respective websites. These daylily sellers are both in Ontario in zone 4(?).

• four_strong_winds
    9 years ago

Any reputable places for order daylilies from in central/southern Alberta?

9 years ago

I just put an order in to Hemerocallis Montfort just outside of Montreal. They ship good quality plants and reasonable shipping charges. Have ordered from them many times. :) They take a cheque, Paypal and email transfer now. :)

Ginny

• Pudge 2b
    9 years ago

Gablehouse Farm & Garden out of Red Deer - I've not ordered from them but they have a good reputation.

Not from Alberta but Floral & Hardy in Ontario - I've ordered a lot from them and can highly recommend their stock.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    9 years ago

I would recommend Floral and Hardy as well. Great products and customer service as well. They're a little bit crazy there.... LOL