Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hemerocallis Daylily Part 2

Posted by crazy_gardener ~Z2b~ AB Canada (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 5, 06 at 16:34

Dang, I was too late for the Summer Sale from Cedar Ridge Gardens, so therefore I ordered from Beachwood Dayliy in BC instead. First time ordering from them, so far their customer service is wonderful!
This is what I ordered, should be in next week so that I can get them planted asap.

BARBARA MITCHELL
CHICAGO RUBY (Gift Plant)
FOOLED ME
HIGHLAND LORD
JANICE BROWN
KWANSO
MIGHTY SHOGUN
RUSSIAN RHAPSODY

Yeah, I have to buy something with this birthday cheque from my MIL ;)

So you gals who ordered from Cedar Ridge, did your orders come in and how are they?

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Beachwood Daylily

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hemerocallis Daylily Part 2

Sharon,

Cedar Ridge order came in a few weeks ago and the daylilies we received were healthy large divisions. They came in double fans and I have even had a few bloom since receiving them.

Of the ones you ordered from Beachwood Daylilies...

I have Janice Brown and I like the coloring of her. Highland Lord and Chicago Ruby are new to me, they haven't bloomed here yet. But, Barbara Mitchell I really like. That one I have had for 5 years now and this year it has bloomed and bloomed and bloomed for me.

Brenda (nice to see you on the Daylily forum in Yahoo also, you will really enjoy that forum!)

o

Oh good Brenda, that's good to hear about Janice and Barbara.
Yes, I was shocked to see you two over at the Yahoo Daylily Group....LOL, what a small world!

Sharon

o

Sharon,

I am a member of the daylily group but I do a lot of reading of conversations since I am no where as knowledgable as so many of the members there. I save the important information from conversations into a folder and hope to reread them in the future. I do a lot of lurking since I have no where near the number of daylilies that some of them have or. This winter I am hoping to post to the daylily group some of my unnamed daylilies to see if anyone knows what they could be.

Sharon and anyone else interested in joining, in response to seeing all the pictures that people post of their daylilies...if you set your settings for receiving all messages by email that is the only way you will be able to see the daylily pictures. And...there are some beautiful daylilies out there.

So, for everyone else interested in daylilies in the FN...there is a group that you can join for free on Yahoo that is all about daylilies.

Brenda

o

RE: Post from the Daylily thread in the Gallery

Al, your so-called 'Black Eyed Stella' is gorgeous! Maybe call it 'Black Eyed Stella's Cousin ;) If you ever want to trade a piece, let me know ;)

Brenda, I have some stubborn DLs too, one year they bloom, next year they sit and take up space or those real stubborn ones that don't bloom for yearS. Once I get this field going they will all be planted in rows, lots of space in between and receive full sun all day long.

I got the day off and I'm going to work on that field project, suppose to be +29C today!

Sharon

o

Sharon, some of my Black Eyed Stella clumps will be needing to be divided/moved out next summer to make room for other daylilies. Put it on the list you want from me.

Today the Brandon forecast is for 30C, tomorrow 34C and then 31, 31 and 29. Guess I will be outside early am and in the evening this week or working in the shade.

When you get your rows planted are you putting down straw of some sort on the paths? When we were at the Lily Nook they had a water system set up with soaker hoses running down each row beside the plants and flax straw on the path. It sure would be worth starting the fieldbed the right way at the beginning.

In our yard my DH trenched in a waterline all along the edge of the flowerbed/holding garden and placed 4" x 4" posts every 20' or so that have water hose attachments at each post. That way I do not have to drag around the garden hose as far anymore. This spring on each post I placed a wrought iron planter and planted wave petunias in them.

Brenda

o

Thank you so much Brenda, I don't have BES yet, I would love a piece of her next year.

Yes, I saw that flax mulch paths from your Lily Nook trip photos. I've been asking around if anyone sells it, but no luck so far. I've got tons of straw if I can't find flax.

I'm hoping & praying that I can rely on the rain out there, I don't think I can afford soaker hoses right now....if we don't get rain, the sprinkler can reach out there ;)

Sharon

o

Got all my Beachwood DLs all planted today in the soft rain. Im so impressed with this grower as well, for sure Ill be ordering from them next spring too. They shipped healthy huge thick roots and 3 fans were given for the CHICAGO RUBY (Gift Plant), now thats a gift!

Whats the latest date youve divided or planted new fans? Ill be covering these new fans at freeze up just to be on the safe side.

I so badly got the Hemer fever, I just cant wait to start trading and buying more next Spring! I thought roses were addicting, but this is really fanatical!!! LOL

Sharon

o

Well dang, dont you hate this when this happens! Today my TRAHLYTA had one nice huge bloom on it this morning. I figured I would mow the lawn around that bed and water using the soaker hose and take a photo later on this evening. Well, I went out to take that photo and it was soaked all right, the petals got all stained and squashy at the ends, not photogenic at all to take. But Ill tell yah, what a gorgeous looking daylily it was this morning. Hopefully Ill have a photo to show you next year. LOL

Heres some SILOAMs I got on Monday from a wonderful Daylily enthusiast named Gary. I know Brenda ordered from him too ;)

ADDIE BRANCH SMITH
BYE LO
DAVID KIRCHHOFF
ETHEL SMITH
LITTLE GIRL
MERLE KENT
NEW TOY
RAINBOW MAGIC
ROSE DAWN
SHOW GIRL
VIRGINIA HENSON

Sharon

o

That's too bad about Trahlyta. I would have loved to have seen the picture, as my mom got one this spring, but hers didn't flower:(

I've got Ethel Smith from your list. It's new this year and didn't have any blooms. So hopefully next year. I'd like to get David Kirchhoff too, as I've seen some amazing pics of it, but I've also been reading that it's sometimes stingy with the flowers. Oh well, I'd be willing to test out that theory for myself!lol

So have you done a grand total count on how many new daylilies you got this year??

o

Hi Laurie,
Lets see, for this year, I have 45 new and 2 new trades for a total of 65 ;)

You?

Yes Ive been reading about S. David Kirchhoff that its stingy, but like you, I have to try for myself ;)

Btw, speaking of David Kirchhoff the hybridizer, have you ever visited his website, he sure has the knack of breeding DLs.

So your into hybridizing some of your own I see, I might dabble at it next year, however I won a couple of auctions at LA for some seed crosses, will see how those do.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Daylily World

o

Well, I sorted all the daylilies yesterday that I have to plant yet this fall. All are in pots and so, I cleaned up the foliage, cut the new growth to 5" or so, made their copper name tags, recorded information and sorted all of them by heights.

I also planted up the kidney shaped area in front of the house by the walkway that everyone sees as they come to the house. There were 5 lilies in the center of it and a creeping phlox on the left side and a lamium on the right side. Now, I have planted red, red and white and yellow Siloam daylilies in there also. These are the ones I used...
S. June Bug,
S. Valentine,
S. Baby Doll,
S. Gumdrop,
S. Red Ruby,
S. Jim Henson,
S. Show Girl
S. Virginia Hensen and
S. Joy.

I also planted 2 SDB irises, Maya Mint and Dinky Doodle. All the daylilies are short and hopefully the reds and yellows really stand out (and don't clash too badly) to draw your eye to that area of the yard.

Now, I have about 63 more daylilies to plant yet and another 30 or so irises to get in. I think it will be a lot easier and faster to plant them now that they are sorted by height since the rest of the yard is a kalidescope of color.

Got to get ready to go...I have been asked to help volunteer at the Canadian Senior Baseball Championships here in Brandon this weekend. So, my DH is running the bbque this afternoon and I am in the canteen (again).

Brenda

o

Brenda, your new bed is going to look awesome with all those DL's planted in.

Dinky Doodle, what's next! LOL

Sharon

o

I am hoping that at least some of the daylilies will bloom next year. They should because most of them were from Gary and were large divisions. Can't wait to see the bed in a few years though.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

As you can see I still need to divide the lilies in the center of the bed yet in a few weeks.

Brenda

o

Brenda, from the pictures that I've seen, you have an absolutely fabulous yard.
Shelley

o

Thanks, Shelley. We found out after we moved here that apparently this yard, many many years ago won the best rural yard in the garden competition. Then a single guy lived here (mowed the yard once a year...someone said...with a swather). So...I am doing my best to get it back 'in shape'. The picture of the yard, taken 30 years ago, that was left here in the house was really faded (must have hung in the sun) and shows that the owner at that time used a lot of annuals in flowerbeds around the house. I plant perennials.

I have a lot of work yet to do this fall. Since my daughter was married last year I am still trying to catch up on most of the flowerbeds. I am hoping that the mulch that I put down now this fall between the plants will enable me to keep up with the weeding on the whole acreage next year. As I go through the flowerbeds and fill holes with daylilies, lilies, clematis, irises and other perennials from the holding garden in the next few weeks I will try to take pictures of more areas to post.

Brenda

o

Yes Brenda, that bed looks fantastic!

Sharon, that's an interesting site, thanks. I skimmed thru quickly, but will have to go drool thru it in greater depth some time........probably in the winter.
I picked up 20 new daylilies this year, for a total of 32. I think that should be enough for me, ya think? ;^)

So what kind of crosses of daylily seeds did you get from the auction? One cross that I made(and am pretty excited about) is, Parade of Peacocks X Ice Carnival that produced a pod. Now I really hope that it'll mature and that I can actually get the seed to germinate. Right now I feel like I'm really counting my chickens before they're hatched!lol So far, I only have some Stella d'Oro seeds that are in the fridge, and those will be my first attempt at germination. Mind you, I seem to have a thing with beginner's luck, so maybe I should try some more precious seed first!lol Anyway, when/if I see my first dl seedling, you'll know, because you'll hear me whooping for joy all the way in Alberta! :^)

o

Hi Laurie, welcome back, it sure is quiet when youre not around. ;)

So far I have these seeds, Ill probably buy/bid on more later on in the winter.
CHICAGO APACHE X SPIRITUAL CORRIDOR
SOUTH SEAS X ED BROWN
CALGARY STAMPEDE X ?

It will be fun to see what well come up with. Just think each seed will be as individual and possibly a registered winner in the future. Hey and then we can go sailing in the sunset and live off our patented earnings ;)
Here I am getting way ahead of myself too, first I gotta see if these seeds will even germinate for me! LOL

My ORCHID CORSAGE is just starting to open up, I hope it opens fully before it starts to rain.

Oh geez, I forgot to take a whiff of TRAHLYTA while I was taking the photo, so I ran out there and the flower is now at its wilted stage, has a slight sweet smell, but not intense, looks like another bud behind it will bloom soon, this time Ill remember to take time to smell it.

Sharon

o

Aww, it's nice to be missed :^)

I googled the dl's in your crosses, and boy, do I ever like the ruffles on Ed Brown! I think for next year, I'd like to pick up some with the ruffles, or chicken fat(were all the good names taken???), as they call it.

My mom's also got Calgary Stampede, so when it gets bigger I'll have to dig a chunk out for myself. So it'll be interesting to see what your CS cross seedlings will look like. So when you buy the seeds, how many do you get in one package? I guess if I ever get the germination method figured out, it may be cheaper to buy some of the seeds of these new releases, rather than buy a plant. Just a thought.........you never know what you might discover.

I've got 4 pods coming on Open Hearth, I hope at least one of them is crossed with Ice Carnival. I've also got a Summer Wine x Open Hearth pod coming. And also pods coming on Jersey Spider, Prairie Blossom, what I think is Autumn Red, and 2 other noids. I kept trying to pollinate Red Ribbons, Morocco Red and Ice Carnival, but they never set pods. Oh well, hopefully we won't have an early f**** so all these pods can mature and then I'll have seeds to play with during the winter ;^)

o

LOL, yes I read about the chicken fat description at the DL forum, gross, but ohhh how pretty on Daylilies.

These seeds from LA have 4 seeds in each packet, the Calgary cross has 6.

I too noticed pods developing on some of my DL's, however like you said, I hope they mature before the big one.

Sharon

o

"These seeds from LA have 4 seeds in each packet, the Calgary cross has 6"

I suppose that those numbers would be about the contents of one pod. That's about how many seeds were in the Stella pods. I was kind of hoping that there would be more than that, and the pods sure looked big enough to have more seeds than that too. Oh well.....

o

So, Laurie and Sharon, once the seed pods are dry you are going to do what with the seeds in order to get seedlings?

Brenda

o

Laurie, you know I've never collected seed from my DL's, that's because I've always snipped off the finished blooms, same as my lilies, however, I suppose it all depends on the cultivar how many seeds in each pod. There's a very good photo at Eldon's website that shows a mature seed pod there.

Brenda, check out Eldon Welch hybridizing page too, it will show you step by step instructions how he does it.

I've been dry/cold storing my seeds in the fridge, around February I'll indoor sow under lights.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Eldon Welch (virgo45) hybridizing instructions

o

Wow, he's got quite the set up there, doesn't he? I don't think I'll be starting quite that many daylilies at once. You're probably right about the amount of seeds from different cultivers being different. Probably the weather and growing conditions will be a factor as well as to how many seeds a plant can produce. Somewhere on the daylily forum I read that if you give a seed pod a gentle squeeze and it pops open, then the seeds are ripe for harvest. This is what happened with Stella for me, and the seeds are hard and black, so they should be ok.

Brenda, I'm hoping to plant whatever ones I harvest inside about Feb/March. Depending on how many I have, I may try winter sowing a few too, just to see what happens.

o

Today, I received my 25 seeds from Coral in NS,

Carmine Ibis x Lola Branham (10 seeds)
Chief Black Hand x Rognvaldur (8 seeds)
Indian Giver x Apple Swirl (10 seeds)
North Wind Dancer x Purple Corn Dancer (11 seeds)
Pink Windmill x Snake In The Grass (6 seeds)
Snake In The Grass x Magic of Oz (8 seeds)
Starmans Quest x Jurassic Spider (8 seeds)(Gift)

Hope I get some cool looking cultivars out of these ;)

Sharon

o

Those are some nice crosses. I'm sure you should get a few keepers out of that.

o

Well after taking several days to decide which DL's to order from Floral & Hardy 2007, I decided on these ones. I get 15% off, plus free delivery ;)

BILL NORRIS
CANADIAN BORDER PATROL
CHERRY CHEEKS
CHRISTMAS IS
CUSTARD CANDY
FIRESTORM
ROCKET CITY
SOUTH SEAS
TIGERLING
VERA BIAGLOW
WINEBERRY CANDY

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Hemerocallis Daylily Part 1

o

Very nice selection Sharon. Yes, it took me quite a few days to figure out which ones I wanted from Floral and Hardy too. Actually, Brenda and I went in together and are hoping to split the daylily cost.
Here's what we ordered:

Blueberry Muffin
Eternity's Shadow
First Knight
Spacecoast Starburst
Startle
Summer Dragon

The free shipping and 15% is a big bonus too, and Betty is just a delight to correspond with as well.

Ok, now the tough part...........waiting for spring to arrive. *sigh*

o
RE: Hemerocallis Daylily-teeth

Sharon, I just went through your link from back in August, in Daylily World, and wow, are some of those introductions ever amazing! Some of the edges, and eyes are stunning, and now I guess the latest trend is teeth. 'Stranger than Paradise' is just so cool looking! I wonder how many years we'll have to wait before the prices come down on "toothy" daylilies?

I'm sure the teeth aren't for everybody, but I love 'em! Check out the set of chompers on this daylily:

Here is a link that might be useful: Stranger than Paradise

o

Wow that one is nice Laurie. Teeth are cool. I'm not so keen on the real thick ruffling you see on some of them - people on the Daylily forum call it 'Chicken Fat' - LOL that is hilarious.

o

Gill, I've seen some pictures of the daylilies with chicken fat, and I do like them too. I suppose some day I'll have to get myself one and then when I see it bloom in person, I'll know for sure if I really like it or not. Another hybridizing trend is "carved" daylilies. Have you seen any of these? It's a much more subtle characteristic, but very cool looking as well.

I wasn't sure if anybody had ever posted a link to Ted Petit's website or not. He's one of my favorite hybridizers. There are very few of his daylilies that I don't love. I've ordered one of his daylilies, 'Eternity's Shadow' from F & H, so I'm tickled pink that I'll finally have one of his daylilies in my garden.
Check out this link. Just be sure to put some plastic over your keyboard so that you don't drool all over it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ted Petit's collection

o

The plastic drop cloth didn't help Laurie, I visited that website a few months back, they are absolutely gorgeous. I'm just wondering if all these new cultivars (chicken fat, teeth, carved) DL's will be bullet proof hardy for our zone.

I guess will just have to try and find out ourselves ;)

Nice order with F&H!

Sharon

o

Ooh Eternity's Shadow is gonna be nice! I love that 'Believe in Miracles' on Petit's website. I haven't seen carved ones, what do they look like? I guess I could get used to the fat. I still prefer a single DL to the doubles though. What the breeders are coming up with now sure is different from the old school daylilies isn't it!

o

WOW, check out Stamile's collection, I sure love that ALASKAN MIST, yum, lot's of chicken fat on that one!

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Stamile

o

I sure would like to meet Ian!

Submitted by Ian Sanderson, Zone 3:
These plants have been with me in Edmonton, Zone 3, for three or more years. I don't mulch anything, but generally we get a foot or so of consistent snow cover. We have had a couple winters recently where there was no snow til about New Year's; no significant losses. Not all these plants are suitable for our short season and cold nights. Currently about 150 of my thousand odd hems are registered as EV; a number are not old enough to assess.

ALEC ALLEN, 26 EM 5.5 EV '82 CARPENTER K.
APOLLODORUS, 28 ML 4.5 EV '85 MUNSON
AZTEC EVERGREEN, 20 EE 4.5 EV Unreg.
BARONET'S BADGE , 30 EM 5.0 EV '84 MUNSON
BENCHMARK, 30 M 6.0 EV '82 MUNSON
BIRD'S EYE , 20 EE 3.5 EV '86 KIRCHHOFF
BLACK PLUSH, 32 M 7.0 EV '56 CONNELL
BLUSHING PARFAIT, 18 M 4.5 EV '83 SPALDING
BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, 30 M 6.0 EV '87 MUNSON
CAMEROONS, 28 M 5.0 EV '88 MUNSON
CAT'S CRADLE, 38 EM 8.0 EV '87 HAGER
CHINESE TEMPLE FLOWER, 24 EM 5.0 EV '80 MUNSON I.
CHORUS LINE, 20 E 2.5 EV '81 KIRCHHOFF
CINDY MARIE, 28 EM 6.0 EV '79 DURIO
COUNTRY PRIDE, 28 E 5.0 EV '89 JOINER
COURT MAGICIAN, 26 EM 5.0 EV '88 MUNSON
DARK STAR, 32 EM 6.0 EV '53 CONNELL
DIXIE LAND BAND, 20 E 7.0 EV '69 FLEISHEL
EMPEROR'S DRAGON, 26 M 5.0 EV '88 MUNSON
ENDURING LOVE, 23 EM 8.0 EV '88 BROWN B.
EYED RADIANCE, 25 M 5.7 EV '88 CARPENTER J.
EZEKIEL, 28 M 5.0 EV '92 TALBOTT
FORSYTH LEMON DROP, 24 EE 3.5 EV '86 LEFEVER
GERTRUDE CONDON, 22 EM 5.0 EV '66 WHEELER
GLENDEVON, 30 EM 6.0 EV '86 MUNSON
GRACEFUL EYE, 21 E 6.0 EV '81 SPALDING
GRACELAND, 28 E 6.0 EV '89 MORSS
GREEN DOLPHIN STREET, 28 EM 7.5 EV '87 ROBERTS S.
HARBOR BLUE, 26 EM 7.5 EV '62 LAKE
HOT WIRE, 30 EM 6.0 EV '87 STAMILE
INNER VIEW, 26 EE 6.5 EV '84 MORSS
IRISH ELF, 14 EM 2.2 EV '78 HUDSON
JASON SALTER, 18 EM 2.7 EV '87 SALTER E.H.
JOAN SENIOR, 25 EM 6.0 EV '78 DURIO
JOLYENE NICHOLE, 14 M 6.0 EV '84 SPALDING
KATE CARPENTER, 28 EM 6.0 EV '80 MUNSON
KELLY'S GIRL, 19 M 5.7 EV '83 SPALDING
LADY MISCHIEF, 18 EM 3.0 EV '81 HUDSON
LITTLE BIG MAN, 16 EM 2.7 EV '79 CRUSE
LITTLE DEEKE, 20 EE 4.0 EV '80 GUIDRY
LITTLE PINK SLIPPERS, 16 EM 2.5 EV '79 CRUSE
LITTLE SHOWOFF, 16 E 2.7 EV '72 WILLIAMSON
LOUDER STILL, 22 EM 6.0 EV '84 GATES
MARSE CONNELL, 38 M 7.5 EV '52 CONNELL
METAPHOR, 22 EM 5.0 EV '83 GATES
MIDNIGHT MAGIC, 28 EM 5.5 EV '80 KINNEBREW
MILLIE SCHLUMPF, 20 EE 6.0 EV '81 GUIDRY
MING PORCELAIN, 28 E 5.2 EV '82 KIRCHHOFF
MOONLIGHT MIST, 18 M 3.0 EV '82 HUDSON
MOUNTAIN VIOLET, 28 M 5.0 EV '73 MUNSON
MY BELLE, 26 E 6.5 EV '75 DURIO
NAGASAKI, 19 E 4.5 EV '79 KIRCHHOFF
NIECE BEVERLY, 15 M 6.5 EV '85 SPALDING
NIGHT BEACON, 27 EM 4.0 EV '89 HANSEN
OBSESSED, 24 E 6.0 EV '88 GATES
OUACHITA BEAUTY, 36 EM EV '55 PITTARD
PANDORA'S BOX , 19 EM 4.0 EV '82 TALBOTT
PEACH JUBILEE, 29 EM 7.0 EV '87 BELCHER
PEACOCK MAIDEN, 31 M 9.5 EV '82 CARPENTER K.
PERSIAN MARKET, 27 M 7.0 EV '69 MUNSON
PIPPIN'S MAGIC, 28 EM 5.0 EV '87 MUNSON
PIRATE'S PATCH, 28 EM 6.0 EV '92 SALTER
RAINBOW SPANGLES, 30 EM 7.0 EV '84 TEMPLE
RED RIBBONS, 42 M 8.0 EV '65 LENINGTON
ROSE JOY, 22 M 6.5 EV> '84 CARPENTER K.
ROSIE MEYER, 32 E 5.5 EV '57 ALEXANDER
ROYAL ELK, 36 E 6.2 EV '58 LAKE
ROYAL EVENTIDE, 28 E 5.0 EV '86 KIRCHH
OFF ROYAL SARACEN, 26 EM 6.0 EV '82 MUNSON
RUSSIAN EASTER, 30 M 6.0 EV '92 KIRCHHOFF
SAVOY, 26 EM 5.0 EV '86 MUNSON
SCARLET ORBIT, 22 E 6.0 EV '84 GATES
SEDUCTOR, 18 EE 6.0 EV '83 GATES
SIAMESE ROYALTY, 24 EM 5.0 EV '80 MUNSON
SILVER VEIL , 28 EM 5.0 EV '77 MUNSON
SO EXCITED , 20 EM 5.5 EV '87 HANSEN
SPANISH MASQUERADE , 22 EM 7.0 EV '83 MUNSON
SPIDER SPIRITS , 40 M 7.5 EV '87 BROWN B
SQUIRRELY SHIRLEY, 15 EM 4.5 EV '84 CRUSE
SUGAR COOKIE, 21 EM 3.2 EV '83 APPS
THAIS, 30 EM 6.0 EV '78 MUNSON
THEBES, 30 M 5.0 EV '85 MUNSON
TIMELESS FIRE, 18 EM 5.2 EV '86 GUIDRY
TONIA GAY, 15 M 5.5 EV '84 SPALDING
VINTAGE BORDEAUX , 27 E 5.7 EV> '87 KIRCHHOFF
VINTAGE WINE, 32 EM 6.0 EV '76 MUNSON
WAYNE JOHNSON, 28 M 5.5 EV '84 HUDSON
WHOOPEREE, 24 E 6.5 EV '86 GATES
WILDFIRE TANGO, 26 EE 6.0 EV '93 KIRCHHOFF
WIND FRILLS , 34 EM 7.0 EV '78 TARRANT
WISTFUL MOMENT, 22 E 6.0 EV '79 GUIDRY

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Evergreen Poll

o

Sharon, I think I gained a pound just looking at all that chicken fat!LOL Stamile does have some awesome daylilies. I LOVE Born to Run too. Anyone got a spare $200 kickin' around I can borrow?LOL I just checked my daylily inventory and I do have a Stamile, it's Royal Braid. It's a new one and had one flower last year, so I've got big hopes for it this year.

Ian sounds like he's got a nice "little" collection there, doesn't he? It is interesting about the whole evergreen vs dormant debate. I think until you try a particular plant, you just don't know how hardy it really is. I know I've had Morocco Red and Red Ribbons for a few years and they're hardy. I've also added last year:
Double Cutie
Forty Second Street
Joan Senior

Which are evergreens, so we shall see how hardy they are too.

o

I found the thread for carved daylilies in the dl forum. There's some pictures and lots of links to different breeders who are going for that look. I kind of like the look, even after the reference to Freddy Krueger. ;^)

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Carved' daylilies

o

Wow that is so cool, I like that better than fat ;0) Or with fat. Either way.

o

Yeah, the carving is cool close up, but I wonder if you could still see the effect a few feet away? At least with the chicken fat and teeth, you can notice that from a distance, but I'd still be willing to try a carved DL to see for myself.

Well, I just finished planting my daylily seeds and they're under the lights. My fingers are crossed........

o

Laurie, are these seeds from your garden?

I just love this DL, but its expensive, maybe in a few years it will go down in price!

WILD HORSES
Trimmer D 1999 Tet 37 7 Ev E
http://users.eastlink.ca/~cakincaid/U-Z.htm

I also love to get PRIMAL SCREAM UFO someday too ;)

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: WILD HORSES

o
gillian

Gil, you need to get this one!

GILLIAN (Trimmer, D 99) Tetra EV E 26 in 4,75 in rosy lavender with enormous purple eye, HBC $30

Here is a link that might be useful: Hemerocallis Montfort

o

Sharon, they are from my garden. After soaking them, I'm sure that 2 of the Open Hearth seeds were starting to break open, as I could see a white spot coming out. I'll be on pins and needles for the rest of the week!LOL

I've always liked Wild Horses too. Such rich colouration on it. I've also really liked the one above it, Wild Child too, but the price on it will have to come down a bit as well. And Gillian sure is a gorgeous one too. Gil, you've got to put that one on your "to get" list!

o

Sharon,

I like Wild Horses too!

This morning I was looking in the 2006 Daylily Availability Guide and it was selling last year in 3 places, Potting shed ($65), Montfort ($45) and Les. Hem. De I'sle ($56).

Wonder who will have it this year. Have you found it anywhere yet?

Primal Scream was in the $100 range. Think I will wait on that one.

Brenda

o
RE: Hemerocallis Daylily Primal Scream

Brenda, Montfort has Primal Scream for a mere $60. ;^)
I may have to wait a couple of years yet for that one.

o

Coool! It's actually a super pretty one too, thanks Sharon ;0) There's a nice delphinium called 'Gillian Dallas' I have always wanted too.

Oooh Laurie... Sprouts, I'm so jealous!! LOL

o

Ok seriously I am getting so enabled here... Sharon why did you have to post that Montfort link? Their pictures are soooo nice... sob. Their prices are low. I have made a LIST. And I have a Vivaces list too. What to do??

I'm wondering what the consensus is on Evergreens. I have a SEV that does fine but I'm worried about spending $30 on an evergreen daylily just because it's purple and it's named after me. Does anyone here have EVs?

Oh also I noticed F&H doesn't list 'Seismic Force' this year. Dang it, I have to get that one!

o

Gil, I've got a couple of EV's that have survived 3 winters and are doing great. On the Montfort first page they say they are a zone 4, so I'm thinking that Gillian must be hardy then if it survives in their gardens. You could also email them and ask about it's hardiness too.

Yes, I also noticed that F&H aren't carrying a lot of the dl's that they had last year. I'm hoping that they are just getting those dl's to increase so that they can offer them again next year.

o

Gil, Montfort is located in zone 4, I would be confident buying evergreens from them since they are growing them ;)
I bought some EV's last year, I will give you the toughness report this spring.

I know, I know, this Daylily obsession is getting way out of hand! There are soooooo many gorgeous cultivars and so many Canadian growers, I want them all!

I need to win a lottery, or I sense that we all need to start hybridizing ourselves, that will at least lower our costs somewhat and you never know we might hit gold with a Silver Medal for the year's single top cultivar, wouldn't that be cool ;)

Yeah, I noticed that too about F&H, they really downsized.

Sharon

o

"I sense that we all need to start hybridizing ourselves, that will at least lower our costs somewhat and you never know we might hit gold with a Silver Medal for the year's single top cultivar, wouldn't that be cool ;)"

That would really be cool! Ok everybody, remember this summer to dab, dab, dab that pollen! I've always thought that a "Far North" series of daylilies would be awesome. ;^)

o

Laurie, I've never dabbled before but I'm going to try to get up early, early in the morning to do so. LOL, and if we get lucky with a winner we'll have to think up some cool names, like CROTCHLESS PANTIES, ahh, heck, that name has been taken already, I'm not kidding on this one ;)

Sharon

o
I got a name!

Ok, how about FAR NORTH CROTCHLESS PANTIES. hee,he, he!
Should I pre-register it now? LOL

o

Yes certainly all of our cultivars must start with "Far North". You gals get hybridizing and send them all to me for evaluation. LOL.

Has anyone actually ordered from Montfort yet? Any problems? I want to get on this ordering soon before I spend all my money on food or my mortgage or something stupid.

o

"I want to get on this ordering soon before I spend all my money on food or my mortgage or something stupid"

Well, at least you have your priorities straight. Daylilies come in at the top of the list! Remember those toaster shakin's make for mighty fine soup!!LOL

You know Sharon, I remember seeing those Crotchless Panties, and not being very impressed with it. I'm thinking with a name like that, it's got to be a drop-dead gorgeous daylily before I'd have it in my garden. Yes, I can envision it now, as my grandmother and I stroll through my garden, and I point out to her saying,"...and that one's named 'Red Ribbons', and that is 'Crotchless Panties'......." I'm just not sure how well that would go over!LOL I'm thinking that someone is trying really hard to get more men into daylily growing. ;^)

o

Gil, Garden Watchdog have 2/2 positives for Montfort ;)

Laurie, LOL, too funny!

o

More DL's to drool over.......

Here is a link that might be useful: Mason

o

I just read this whole thread and duh, I think I asked the same questions about 4 times. LOL. Memory span of a goldfish.

So I will be the Montfort guinea pig, I have an order together for:

BABY BLUES
CLOVERDALE
GILLIAN
WEDDING BAND
JERUSALEM
RUTH WEBSTER

I was just thinking, if I ever registered a daylily I think I would call it "All Sharon's Fault"

o

LOL!!!!

Very nice picks Gil! Do let us know how the fans look when you get them. Did you ever ask them about the hardiness of Gillian? I've always liked the colouration of Wedding Band. It's definitely going on the "must get someday" list. ;^)

o

Oh no you don't, don't you blame this one on me, hey, I have my own addiction to keep in control ;)

Nice DL's and btw, LOL, I love your registered DL name if it ever happens ;)

Sharon

o

Thought I'd try my hand at a bit of enabling.hehe

There's a daylily called 'Sharon's Delight' which was hybridized by Richard Norris of Ashwood Gardens. It's about 3/4 of the way down the page, and it's a very pretty one too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ashwood Gardens

o

Yeah right, $100 only, when pigs fly ;)

It is pretty thou!

o

Yes, the price IS a bit of a deterent.........

But hopefully, it'll be a little more reasonable in a couple of years time.

o

I placed an order for more DL's from Strongs' Daylilies, I have a good reason thou, it's cold outside, so I made a cup of hot chocolate with sugar in it, sugar makes me unstable ;)

This is what I ordered, first time ordering from this DL grower in ON, I'm sure they'll be good since the owner is a regular at the Yahoo DL group and knows all too well about TC DL's.

BLACK PLUSH (Connell 55) 32" M 6" Ev. Spider Variant
BLUE-EYED BUTTERFLY (Lambertson 96) 24" EM 5" Sev.
BORDELLO QUEEN (Mason 98) 27" ML 6" Dor.
QUILT PATCH (Maxwell-Westervelt 64) 26" EM 5" Dor
WILD HORSES (Trimme 99) 37" E 7" Ev.
+ bonus gift plant

Yup, thats right they have Wild Horses at a darn good price of $24.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Strongs' Daylilies

o

That's an awesome price for Wild Horses! Maureen sure does have a great photo gallery there, doesn't she? Tons of daylilies to drool over, and at very reasonable prices too. Gotta like that!

o

That's where i saw "Allison's Wedding"!! It isn't in their price list, so i just emailed them to find out when it would be available. One of these years my Allison will have a wedding, and with any luck i'll have the daylily!!

o

Awesome Sharon, I love 'Wild Horses' too! F&H has one that reminds me of it, but with edges, 'Sabine Baur'. Ooooh aaaah. LOL. Strong's has a nice website.

No pressure, Allison! ;0) LOL

It occurred to me after that Montfort didn't make any statement about tissue culture. I hope they're field grown. Although they did say they were freshly dug, which sounds field grown.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sabine Baur @ Floral & Hardy

o

Cedar Ridge Gardens is having a "going-out-of-the-daylily-mailorder-business-and-moving-to-Nova-Scotia-this-fall" sale. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting I've ordered several plants, and will probably add to the list before they sell out.

Here's what's coming, so far:
Dublin Elaine
Indian Giver
Irongate Glacier
Jedi Tequila Sunset
Little Business
New Series
Palomino Moon
Pardon Me
Promises Promises
Pure and Simple
Scatterbrain
Siloam Double Classic
Sue Rothbauer
Wineberry Candy

And I'm still pouring through the list. Some of the above are available locally, but I'd bet they're tissue culture plants. I'm pretty certain my locally purchased 'Stella' is.

Speaking of TC, Vesey's has 'Wild Horses' for $12.99. That's almost certainly not for a field-grown plant. I was sorely tempted to test my theory, but decided the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedar Ridge Gardens

o

Speaking of TC, Vesey's has 'Wild Horses' for $12.99. That's almost certainly not for a field-grown plant. I was sorely tempted to test my theory, but decided the money could be better spent elsewhere.

You got that right Doris, most likely TC ;)

Nice DL's that you have on order!

Sharon

o

I was bored this morning and decided to go do some drooling on the lily auction and found this unusually coloured daylily. It almost seems to have a hint of blue in it. I like it, but considering the first bid has to be $200, I think I'll pass. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bridey Greeson Grace Smith

o

That's a cool one Laurie, looks like something an old lady would wear to church on Easter, LOL.

BTW, shades of blue are not impossible, 'Siloam David Kirchhoff' is quite blue. There are others I have seen too.

o

SDK is on my "want" list already ;^) I thought I read somewhere that true blue is not attainable in daylilies due to their cell structure or something? I was at the understanding that some of the "blues" they're claiming still have a purpley tint to them. I've seen pics of SDK and it sure does look like it has a blue eye, but I've been leary due to camera and monitor variations. That's why I figure I've got to get one for myself, 'cause that's the only way I'll know for sure ;^)

o

I guess that's true Laurie, there's no solid blue daylily like a delphinium or anything. But SDK's eyezone is distinctly greyed-lavender and the whole flower has a bluish look to it. Be forewarned, as with many of the Siloams, SDK is tiny. Itty bitty. The whole plant including the leaves is small. But cute, as long as you were expecting it. I notice Vivaces Nordiques isn't listing it this year.

o

Just wondering if anyone has come across a website for the hybridizer Salter? I googled and didn't come up with anything. I was just on the Lily auction and noticed a whole pile of his daylilies on there........and what daylilies they are too!

o

Laurie, if you type "Salter" into the hybridizer search line, you'll get 72 pages of his hybrids...many with photos. Knock yourself out!! ;-)

(If the page is stretched horizontally, as it is on my monitor, just scroll right until you see "Daylily Database Search".)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tinker's Daylily Database

o

Yes, Tinker's has a great wealth of information. It's too bad that there aren't more pictures though. I find with some of the latest releases, they don't have pictures to go with them. :(

It's funny because it seems that most other hybridizers have their own website listing all of their intros and have info on their gardens too. Salter has such gorgeous daylilies with very pronounced edges and chicken fat, but I'm not sure where he's from to know if they're hardy enough for our zones. I know that some are grown in colder areas of Canada, but I just wanted a bit more info about him and his plants.

o

I finally happened to stumble upon it. It looks like a husband and wife operation, Jeff & Elizabeth. All I can say is WOW to their daylilies! They are in Florida, so hardiness for some may be a issue.

Take a look at Blissful Blackberry Pie.......YUM!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Salter's website

o

That's the most gorgeous colour!! Sigh... I'm just happy when the daylilies in my garden bloom, let alone notice what colour they are. Double sigh...

o

OK...this thread got me looking at Floral and Hardy's web site again. I sent in a quick, small (?) order because I noticed that March 4 was the deadline for a 15% discount. It was still March 4 here when I sent the order, even though it was March 5 down east at Floral and Hardy. :-) I hope I made it under the wire, anyway. Guess I'll find out.

Just in case anyone's interested, here's my list:

Ed Murray
Litte Red Spring Song
Red Volunteer
Rosy Returns
Stella de Oro (I've got lots of these, but I'm pretty sure they're all tissue culture...I want to try one more time for a decent plant.)
Ruffled Ruby
Rocket City
Ice Carnival
(Plus one Heuchera: Florist's Choice)

That's got to be it for orders, until I can get into my garden and do some editing. :-)

I just noticed that most of the above daylilies are red. Hmmmm.

o

Hopefully you did get your order in time for the 15% off. It sure does make a difference! Oooo, that Stella and Ice Carnival are just going to pop out from amongst all the other reds! It took a few years for my Ice Carnival to settle in and start blooming, but when it did it sure took my breath away. Mind you, it's planted fairly close to a large spruce, so I'm sure it's having a tough time getting any water.

o

I have a silly question about the daylily. I don't have any and would like to get some this spring. My question is when it gives the hieght of the lily does that mean from the bottom of the plant to the top of the flower bloom or are they just talking about the foliage?

o

Hey, no question is silly! And your question is a good one, and I'm not 100% sure, but I've always assumed that they only meant the foliage, and that the flower scape can, and often does, grow taller than the leaves.

Frankly, I'm more shocked that you don't have any daylilies in your garden! You definitely need to fix that. ;^)

Laurie

o

No, it's the approximate height of the scape (the hard stem that holds the flowers) from the ground to where the flowers come out. The leaves tend to arch, therefore their height is not really relevant. Sarry Laurie ;0)

o

Ooops.......I stand corrected...*blush* :)

o

I have placed a couple of orders so far.
From Cedar Ridge I ordered:
Always Afternoon
Daring Dilemma
Designer Jeans
Elderberry Candy
Moonlight Masquerade
Trahyta
Wineberry Candy

Floral and Hardy
El Desperado
Ruby Spider
Orchid Corsage
Newberry Festival
Real Wind
Sabine Baur
I'm still looking at a couple other places yet. Who knows what I'll order yet.

Shelley

o

Laurie, hey don't worry about it, I didn't even know how to snap my snapdragons... *blush* tee hee.

Shelley, nice picks!! Always Afternoon is one of my faves, and I totally want Sabine Baur too. I didn't believe it so I looked up other pictures and it really is that nice.

o

Very nice daylily selection Shelley! Are you going to plant them in amongst your roses, or will they be in their own garden?

Gillian, it does make sense now that I think about the height of dl's. I had quickly checked my list and for the first few at the top of the list, the height was pretty much the same as what I remembered the foliage as being. But of course, some flower closer to the leaf height, and then others tower above, like Jersey Spider at 4'.......there's no way the leaves will get to that height! Doh!!

o

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I don't know which ones to purchase, I would like them to bloom throughout the summer so I will have to plan carefully.

o

Laurie, I won't be putting them in my rose garden. There is no room for them there. Majority will go in my lily bed. And the rest will go into other mixed beds. I was in the process of making some of them bigger last fall. ( I told DH that I was making them bigger for him, so it would be easier to cut the grass. LOL.. Whatever works, right???)

Gillian, I remembered from an earlier post that Always Afternoon was one of your favorite daylilies. I'm still working on everyone else's favorites. I won't be able to get them all this year. But there is always next year.

Shelley

o
RE: Hemerocallis Daylily Part 2.1

I was going to mention and let Brenda know that the Bonanza plant that I received from her last fall is still hanging on. It isn't doing fantastic, but it still is alive yet. I'm wondering being that it is a dormant variety, that is why parts of it seem to keep dying off. Maybe it isn't dying, but just going to sleep.
Shelley

o

Shelley, if Bonanza does not make it just let me know 'cause I do have more where it came from.

The daylilies that I also have kept in the house for the winter are doing the same...kind of just hanging around. The two I thought were dead (browned off and no sign of life) and I just hadn't made time to throw the pot out yet, have now grown 2 inch shoots on them in the last 2 weeks. Glad I didn't throw them out.

Just let me know, ok, Shelley.

Brenda

o

Brenda, mine has always had some green fans. It seems as one dies down a new one emerges. I have it a south facing window, so I'm sure that it is getting lots of light. Maybe I'll put it under my light's and give it a shot of fertilizer to see if it'll spruce up.

Shelley

o

Nice orders there Doris and Shelley!

o

Just thought I'd share another daylily seller I found in Canada. They are located on P.E.I. Their prices seem to be pretty good. Have fun and don't make that credit card smoke to much. :)

Syreeta

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Lane Daylily Gardens

o

I found another hybridizer, he has gorgeous daylilys. His full tetraploid and diploid collection right now it is on sale for only $3000. That is a full savings of $1875 if you bought them separately. Unfortunately that collection is sold out, (too bad, I had several thousand dollars hanging around that I didn't know what to do with LOL). They do give free shipping and bonus plants if you buy any of the collections.

So, any takers?

Syreeta

Here is a link that might be useful: Heavenly Gardens

o

OMG Syreeta!!!!!!!! I just went to heaven and back, did you see that MYSTIC JELLYFISH! I want it!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

OMG OMG what are you trying to DO to us!!! Yes Mystic Jellyfish is incredible, so is White Magician, how often do you see a white spider! And look on the Pattern Seedlings page, the second last one is to die for... ok they all are... I love patterns. All those blue eyes. Aaaagh.

o

Mystic Jellyfish is very cool looking! You really wonder what kind of daylilies they'll be producing in 10 years time? So many new characteristics have already been developed within the last 10 years. At least he's a hybridizer in zone 5, so if you dropped $3000 on the collection, most of them would probably survive in our zone. Bonus! ;^)

o

If you like Jamie Gossard's work, you might be interested in seeing that of Curt Hanson, another Ohio hybridizer. I collect his stuff (many have Star Trek names and I confess to being a trekkie big time) and have way too many of them. Check the link below and prepare to be dazzled!

BJ in SW MB

Here is a link that might be useful: Crintonic Shadowlands

o

Whoohoo, I've seen my first daylily fan of the year outside!! Kwanzo has decided to come out and brave the cold.....it shouldn't be too much longer before others start to pop up too. I've had 3 pots of daylilies in the house for the winter, and they've all grown well. Strutter's Ball actually went from one fan to three just lately. I'm sure they'd much rather be outside......that is, after the ground thaws.

o

That's good news, I too took a little stroll out in the garden today and seen the H. fulva that I splitted last fall just starting to poking out.
It won't be long Laurie that will be able to enjoy our DL's ;)

Sharon

o

Oh I know Sharon, but it won't be soon enough for me!lol I just really, really hope that all the new daylilies that were put in last summer have made it through the winter ok. I'm starting to get a little antsy about that.

o

Hi folks,

Re: H. fulva and its hybrid Kwanso, take my advice and put it someplace where it can't do any damage. These two spread almost as fast as southern kudzu. I finally banished both of them to the nether regions of the northern gardens after finding it popping up in what little grass I have left and right in the middle of a clump of a mature clump of one whose name escapes me now. One of the dangers is that they can overwhelm a not quite so vigorous (dare I use the word invasive) variety, kill it and take over. I'm not prepared to let them do that!

Here is a note I found on a daylily list:
"H. fulva is a sterile triploid. Since the plants rarely if ever produce seed it spreads solely by spreading rhizomes. The plants triploid nature makes it a dead end genetically and it is not a parent in modern daylily hybrids."

Thought somebody might be interested.

BJ in SW MB

o

Thanks for that information BJ. My Kwanso was in a spot on it's own, but last year I decided to put in a bed right beside it, so it may decide to run into that new bed. I think I'll move it to a far away spot this year, where it can't do any harm.

o

BJ, I agree. I would not plant either one with other daylilies. They are good for a mass planting in an isolated area you want to put a little colour in and ignore. There are two big patches of H. fulva in my yard, nothing else grows in them. Mine are starting to sprout too.

I wonder when Montfort will ship my order... getting antsy... lol. I think I might cave and make a summer order from Vivaces Nordiques. I have been looking up some of their selections with no pictures and found a few I must have.

o

I ordered a few weeks ago from Strongs Daylilies as well. Very nice people to deal with. These are the ones that I have ordered:
Creative Edge
Fooled Me
Helter Skelter
Indian Giver
Magic Fingers
Pink Super Spider
Starman's Quest

Gil, I want to order from Vivaces Nordiques yet as well. I really want to try Yazoo Wild Violet. Yous looks so pretty.

Shelley

o

So I got my order from Montfort today - looks like they got a little warm in the mail but the plants are satisfactory and a decent size. They're soaking in a bucket now.

o

Oh no you don't, you get back here Gil and tell us what daylilies you ordered! ;)

Sharon

o

Actually I posted my list on Jan. 27... LOL here it is again.

BABY BLUES
CLOVERDALE
GILLIAN
WEDDING BAND
JERUSALEM
RUTH WEBSTER

I got everything I ordered and nothing else (hem hem no freebies) I guess they don't send freebies or my order was small. Ah well.

o

Of course, you had to get Gillian... I think it is the prettiest of all the daylilies you got. I also like Wedding Band and the edges on Jerusalem. I couldn't find a picture of Ruth Webster but it sounds pretty. Baby Blues reminds me of the Siloams and Cloverdale's two leaf colors is sure going to be an eye stopper.

Brenda

o
daylily part 2

Sorry, I should have said petal not leaf for the Cloverdale.

Where is the edit button when you need to use it?

Brenda

o

Gil, Jan 27th was sooooooooo long ago. That's weird that you didn't get a bonus plant. I guess you have to order $60 to get a 10% discount.

So you did get GILLIAN, well I want a piece of you in a few years ;) LOL

Sharon

o

LOL! Sharon you're funny. Of course you can have a piece of me when there's enough to go around.

Brenda, Ruth Webster is on Montfort's website - you might have to go find it in the 'R's but it's there. I wanted a taller dark pink because I don't have one. 'Baby Blues' is a tiny plant like a Siloam as you noticed. The leaves and roots I received are small but it's a big bunch.

Now I have to decide where to put everything - I have room next to the front sidewalk but I'm afraid of vandalism or theft... you never know. I think it would kill me if someone did something to my mail-order perennials :0

o
whoops

Whoops, meant to post the website (below)

Here is a link that might be useful: Hemerocallis Montfort

o

They all look stunning Gillian. Especially the one named after you.

Shelley

o

I found this thread in the daylily forum about metallic edges and eyes.......I can't imagine what those hybridizers will strive for next!

Here is a link that might be useful: Metallic edges

o

Wow Laurie, that is beautiful and I bet they're expensive too ;)

Still can't get over the chicken fat myself!

o

*sigh* yeah any of the new ones are usually really expensive. But, I did read somewhere on the daylily forum that somebody had a seedling with a gold metallic edge and it came from a Spacecoast Starburst parent. I just got SS this spring, so if it happens to throw up a scape....I'll be dabbing!lol

o

For a early Christmas present from DH, I ordered these daylilies from Coral (NS Daylilies) for next spring.....

AH YOUTH
ALL AMERICAN WINDMILL
AQUAMARINE
AUTUMN WOOD
BERTIE FERRIS
BETTE DAVIS EYES
BUTTERED POPCORN
CHANCE ENCOUNTER
DARK STAR
EGGPLANT ECSTASY
EL DESPERADO
FIRST KNIGHT
GOTHIC WINDOW
MAUNA LOA
PINK SUPER SPIDER
SARATOGA SPRINGTIME
SPIRITUAL CORRIDOR
STARMANS QUEST

Merry Christmas!
Sharon

o

Lucky you! Gotta love getting daylilies for Christmas......your DH is a definite keeper!

o

Thanks Laurie, he was kind of hinting on chipping in to get a flat screen tv for the bedroom, but I said I rather have DL's instead. When the heck do I ever watch tv, he probably wanted it for himself. ;)

Sharon

o

• Posted by marric Z5b Ontario (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 13, 07 at 8:29

I thought I had my daylily order made up but I just found out that Cedar Ridge has been taken over by Rural Roots Gardens. I guess my shopping will have to restart! Marg

o

Yes, an order of daylilies would be great for a Christmas gift but I don't think my DH would do so, as yours did, Sharon.

Does anyone know about Rural Roots Gardens in regards to their catalogue? The website still has all the spring 2007 dates on it, yet RR on the home page. Are the prices still last year's prices or this year's prices?

http://www.cedarridgegardens.com/index.htm

Brenda

o

Hmmm, maybe we should all give our DH's some daylilies for Christmas.;0) I'd even offer to plant them for my DH!lol

o

Laurie, somehow, I just can't see your DH being thrilled to get daylilies for Christmas, even if you do plant them for him. Maybe a tool or two or hockey tickets instead. :) Although he does seem to be happy with how the yard is turning out (daylilies, irises, etc and all) when I have been to the yard on Westman Gardeners tours.

I suggested to my DH that I would give him daylilies for Christmas and he came back with the idea that he would then give me a hunting trip...then we could exchange after Christmas. The only thing he stipulated was that the value of the daylily gift had to be $25 while the hunting package would be $2500. I don't really think that would be fair. I also don't think he has any idea of the cost of daylilies either.

Brenda

o

Very nice selections, Sharon. Some of them I have already picked out and were put on my want list. Although I do not know how many plants I'll be buying in the new year.

Shelley

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here