Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
north53zone2b

Daylily season!

north53 Z2b MB
13 years ago

Just planted this Salieri Daylily last fall. This is its first bloom. I think I like it. The picture doesn't show how dark it actually is.

Canadian Border Patrol has been moved around the garden and finally seems to be happy.

Now I'm waiting for my other fall daylily purchases to bloom. Nice to have something to look forward to.

I've just finished cutting back a bunch of spent perennials and it was looking quite sparse for bloom.

Comments (14)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

Check in the gallery - lilies and daylilies galore!

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry, I never think to look in the gallery. Most times when I look, there's nothing new there. To be honest though, I find it a nuisance to have to go looking somewhere else for pictures.
    But, in any case I can't delete my post so my pictures will have to stay here.

• Pudge 2b
    13 years ago

Wow, that first one is beautiful, Marie. I noticed last night that my neighbour has one similar (if not the same).

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Pudge, It really is eye-catching. When it started to open up, it was so dark, I thought it was black. But it's a very deep maroon. Right now it's just in the garden where I stuck my new daylilies when they arrived last fall. But I think it will look nice in front of my heliopsis.

• nutsaboutflowers
    13 years ago

My Dream Legacy, April in Paris, Panda Bear, and Velvet Beads are all starting to bloom =:)

I'll have to look up their info again, as I thought some were early season and some were mid.

Beautiful pictures posted here. Keep them coming.

BTW Does everyone take off their spent blooms every day, or wait until the following day or even the next when they come off easily? Is there any benefit doing it one way or other? Oh, and am I supposed to snap them off or just remove the actual bloom??

Thanks!

• northspruce
    13 years ago

I pick at my spent blooms when I'm thinking of it or taking a photo. They look messy. If you want seeds, leave them on and some might form pods. I snap them all the way off and it doesn't matter when, anytime after the petals have wilted.

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I pick them off during my morning walk-about. I just snap them off with my thumbnail. Yes, my fingernails suffer from my behavior.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

Isn't that just what fingernails are for?

:>

That's pretty much what i do too - same with the roses.

• weeper_11
    13 years ago

north53 - Does your Canadian Border Patrol only show its dark petal edge sometimes? I've noticed that in some pictures, that flower shows a dark eyeliner-edge, and in others, it looks almost like Moonlit Masquerade. I think the hybridizer photo has it with a dark edge. Just curious.

I love that dark one! There have been such an influx of them in the daylily world, since they've become so popular, and I love them all! I like owning a few and finding out which ones are the most sunfast. So far, an un-registered Heemskerk daylily called "Chocolate Candy" has been the best...stays dark until 7 pm, except for it's edges, which fade out to an interesting brown/maroon.

I love me some daylilies! :D

As for the spent blooms thing...depends on how ambitious I"m feeing, if the bugs are bad, etc. On plants of mine such as Stella d'Oro, that bloom profusely no matter what I do, I leave them until they easily fall off if I just brush my hand over them. On my more "prized" variaties, they usually get deadheaded every day, simply because I always walk around and look at everything once a day. This year, I had so much winterkill and subsequent regrowth on my roses, I haven't dead-headed at all. I'm hoping they will go dormant sooner rather than later so I don't lose all this years growth again.

• sierra_z2b
    13 years ago

North I really like the first one.

weeper,my Canadian border patrol has just a bit more of a purple edge than North's photo shows. But I was expecting it to go right around the petal and it doesn't. This is still a very pretty one one though.

Funny story......This year I removed all the strawberries from my garden and made that area into a daylily bed. Figured I could fit all the daylilies I had into that area. Hahaha not a chance. The area was filled quickly and there are still many scattered all over the gardens. I didn't realize I had become a daylily collector. :O LOL So now I am trying to match the names to the ones with lost tags. Fun but not easy. ;)

Off to check the gallery to see what other daylilys have been posted. Not that I have any room to add anymore.

Sierra

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Weeper, My Canadian Border Patrol seems to be missing the purple edge. I suspect it is a tissue culture daylily. I didn't buy it from a grower.
    I'm really enjoying the darker shades also. But they are new for me, so I can't comment yet on their performance.

BTW, Marric has posted some gorgeous daylilies in the gallery. Check it out.

• explorer_mb
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure how to post pics yet, but will try and find out soon... loved your pics Marie... we're in full daylily bloom now so would love to see more of your pics...

I'll try and figure out how to post too..lol...

Rob

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Rob,
    I've been wondering how your daylilies are doing. I actually had one die and another suffered a lot but survived, after the strange fall and sudden winter.
    But my new acquisitions are all good. I discovered that Ed Murray is almost identical to Salieri. Not very good planning on my part.
    Firestorm was delighting me prior to this torrential rain.

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This one is an old favourite of mine. The flower isn't large, but a delicate yellow. I know it as Lemon Drop.

Another one of my New additions, Brown Witch.

Firestorm: