Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

Hostas, oh Hostas

A while back somebody gave me a name of a company on the east coast of canada that specialized in Hostas. I am getting a nervous twitch that I think could be controlled with a hosta order.

Thanks in advance.

While not home to post a pic why don't we also turn thus into a 'show off your hosta thread'

SCG

Comments (18)

• northspruce
    9 years ago

Hosta Geek!

I'll post some of mine later.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    9 years ago

Floral and Hardy is another one. Daylilies too, though you may not need any of those....

• northspruce
    9 years ago

Since you asked, here are a few of my favourite hostas. Most of mine are planted in a bit too much sun and they have been slow to get big, but they're starting to bulk up this year. On the positive, being planted in hot spruce needles completely eliminates slugs!
    My favourite is definitely Invincible:

Christmas Tree has interesting thick, rugose leaves. I think it should be bigger.

Regal Splendor has a nice tall form and will also probably get much bigger eventually. It's also got the tallest flower scapes!

So Sweet is a cute mini

And Blue Angel is kind of a nice all-round hosta. I like the blue ones.

I also like the white stripe types. This is Night Before Xmas

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all that was the site I couldn't remember.

northspruce, Those pics are great. Looks much like the road to ruins collection I think I am going to order. Either that or the Hosta of the Year collection...problem with the latter is I have quite a few of them. No slugs would be nice that is for sure! Not sure why but instead of climbing up praying hands they eat it at the base causing it to fall over...I have resigned leaving one leave down for them to munch on.

Some of these have been seen... rest are from this morning

'September Sun'

'Brim Cup'

'Praying Hands'

Unknown, one of two that I planted as root balls that didn't show up for two years.

Unknown #2

and this I am not sure what is up...maybe a sport of unknown #2?

Rest are just too small for pictures. Man I hate waiting for them to grow!

At crappy tire I got another yesterday and have high hopes for 'Gray Cole'

SCG

• northspruce
    9 years ago

Yes, it was the Road to Ruin collection! I subbed in a few blues instead of yellows because, you know me and yellow leaves... shudder. Actually I do have August Moon and a couple of other yellows that I don't mind, but in general it's not my thing.

I'm sure you know about HVX - don't plant a box store hosta anywhere near your other hostas, and don't use the same tools on it. Personally, I won't buy from anywhere but Hosta Geek, and I won't even accept divisions from friends.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, your right I shouldn't buy from them but I forget and can't resist. Hopefully after this order I won't have the urge anymore.

I actually just went out and inspected my plants even though I know it can take years to show up.

SCG

Original Author
    9 years ago

Northspruce, I wouldn't be able to bug you to get pics of the other hosta's from the road to ruin collection and how old are they now? I am seriously patience deprived right now.

Thanks

SCG

• northspruce
    9 years ago

Yeah, I can do that. I'm pretty sure they're 3 years old but I can't remember if I actually bought them 4 years ago in the fall. I do love Hosta Geek but his photos aren't all that easy to follow. Will post the rest this evening.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, thanks, his photos are hard to follow and why I was asking...I did research them but found some to have quite different colouring so am wondering what his look like.

SCG

• northspruce
    9 years ago

A'right. Here they are, in no particular order.

Francee

This came with the house, I don't know what it is. But may I suggest its friend ligularias on either side? waggly eyebrows

Lancifolia

Erromena

sieboldiana

Undulata mediovariegata

August Moon

Blue Mammoth (this is the only one that's totally sucking. Maybe the giant ones really need shade?)

Midwest Magic

Antioch

This is supposed to be Fortuneii albopicta, but it's not. Whatever it is, I quite like it.

Janet

Elegans

Halcyon was a favourite in previous years but it had a hard winter and didn't appear until nearly July! I had almost given up.

Hope that helps...

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Just for interests' sake, here's a thread with a report from my visit to hostageek (Fundy Beauties):

Hello from Nova Scotia!

Here is a link that might be useful: Uju the one that got away

• northspruce
    9 years ago

Also, keep in mind that their colouring can be quite different depending on how much sunlight they get... but yeah, when I google each name I get at least 60% completely the wrong cultivar.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Yay, Hostas! Great pics, everyone. Saw this thread on the "Most Recent Posts" box, so thought I'd drop in and say 'hello'.

My bed of fragrant varieties...

Best Regards from The South,
    Don B.

• ostrich
    9 years ago

O.
    M.
    G.

SCG, you are very, very bad. I have had this suppressed urge to get lots of hostas for a long time now.... with all of these very lovely photos, my suppressed desire can no longer be contained....!!! My secret wish was to get a hosta garden here.... but I do not have the space or the shade.... well, at least not YET.

I am just too scared to get hostas from my local garden centres and nurseries, as I have no idea who their supplier is, and I do NOT want to get any HVX in my yard.

So, of these online vendors listed here, which one is the best for mail order services?

".... and lead us not into temptation...."

NOT!!! LOL

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ostrich order them from a reputable source. Ripping out 25+
    Hostas today pulled at my heart.

SCG

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Northspruce for the additional pics. I can definitely see that I want to sub a few. I heard blue mammoth was a slow grower and didn't particularly like the sun. Also, I think on hosta geek website, read somewhere that some were much less vigorous in sunny/dry locations compared to moist and shady.

*edit* just was on hosta geek site and seen blue mammoth can take all light conditions....wonder why it doesn't like where you have it?

Don those are some lovely hosta's you have

Ostrich, on the hostageek.ca website there is a collection called 'Road to Ruins' you can purchase. On the site they also explain why they call it that :) I am going to order it today as I really am feeling a lack of hosta love in my gardens. I think I am also going to get 'Empress Wu' and a couple more miniatures. Fortunately I didn't complete my order last night or I would have had WAY to many for now lol.

SCG

This post was edited by SouthCountryGuy on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 9:05

Original Author
    9 years ago

robotropolis, Welcome to the forum and I will read your report very soon...Thanks.

SCG

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer