Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonstarr15

Schubert Chokecherry Issues - What is this?

moonstarr
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I posted about a month or so back about a Schubert Chokecherry we had professionally planted (transplant shock and had a big gouge in the trunk). The tree was replaced a few weeks later, but I'm running into an issue with the new tree I'm hoping you can shed some insight into.

After planting, I noticed this new tree's leaves were curling (mostly up high). The first tree also appeared to have this problem. I assumed it wasn't getting enough water? I've tried to keep the ground moist (I have one of those moisture metres, and it would dry out in between waterings to around 2-3 (out of 10) and then I would give it another good soaking to saturate the ground.

** One thing I've noticed about this tree is that the root ball seems to dry out VERY quickly, although just outside the rootball, the ground can be still be very moist (around an 8-9). Should I be trying to water it deeply enough to keep the root ball area constantly fairly wet? Or have I been doing it right by letting it dry out a bit in between (to encourage the feeder roots to grow out?). As a side note, the Maple tree I had planted around the same time is doing great, so at least I know I'm doing something right with at least that one!

In addition to the curled leaves, I then noticed that it started to get holes in the leaves ... you can see from the photos that there are quite a few leaves affected, especially near the top. Is this some sort of fungus? Insects? Shot Hole?

Any suggestions on what I should do? Is it me and what I'm doing? It is the tree? Am I always just going to have a stressed relationship with Schubert Chockcherries and we're just never going to get along?

BTW ... I have been adding some root fertilizer about 2x a week to both trees (Plant Prod Root Booster), and have about 2" of mulch around the base (but about 2" from the trunk).

Thanks so much for any suggestions ... I really do appreciate it. :)

Here are some photos:

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz