Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buys of the WeeK!

Posted by debbiecz3 z3MB (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 25, 08 at 17:51

Always looking for good deals even though I have little space for plants! Today I picked up geraneum Rozanne and pink Dictamus (one I have wanted for quite some time) for a total of less than $7. What other deals have people found?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buys of the WeeK!

I have a 10' benjamin fig in my dining room. He was 99 cents at Revy. Of course that was 20 years ago in a 4 inch pot!

o

This is a good deal at the wrong time. I was moaning away this spring about there being no seed-starting mix anywhere. Walmart now has bags of it on sale two for $5. I guess it doesn't go bad, eh? LOL I bought two last week, but i'm going back tomorrow to see if it's still there and get a few more.

o

Thanks Marcia. I go to our local Wal*Mart tomorrow, I will check their gardening section, maybe they've got some left (hope).

o

About a month ago Rona has all the remaining outdoor plants 75% off. I brought a one-gallon clematis vitacela alba luxurians for $3. The rest of the plants were pretty 'distressed' though and didn't look that great, even for a bargain price. (Brown and dried out cedars aren't really a good seller.)

I find it humorous that stores are still trying to sell, in August, small flats with celery plants, tomatoes, peppers,even pumpkin vines, etc. Obviously those plants are pretty stressed from being stuck in a tiny pot all summer, not to mention the fact that it's August and they likely can't produce much by the time frost comes, even if you baby them.

Glen

o

Trouble is, the people who work in the garden centres of stores like Walmart and Rona rarely have a clue about plants. Once i phoned one place asking if they had any kohlrabi and they asked if it was an annual or perennial! LOL

Kioni, i think it just might be our Walmart that suddenly found all their seed-starting mix. Maybe not - maybe all the Walmarts figure fall is a good time of year to start petunias!

I've ignored most of the plant sales because i simply have no more room. Of course, now i have to figure out how to make some! :)

o

Our Walmart here is doing a major add on so things are a mess. Last week I bought 30 bags of $5.29 potting mix for $2.00 a bag and 20 bags of cow manure for $1.00 each

o

I just picked up 2 Semps, 4" pots @ Canadian Tire, paid just $1.24 for the two of them! All their remaining greenhouse stock including trees & shrubs is 75% off. Not much worth looking at, most of it is on it's last legs (surprise) but the sempervivums were looking pretty good, especially for that price!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here