Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fuzzy Yellow Caterpillar eating Iris Leaves

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 17:59

Yikes!

He's cute but I don't know what he is. Fuzzy yellow about an inch or more long.

Friend or foe?

He's chewing on my iris leaves but he appears to have just started as there's very little damage.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fuzzy Yellow Caterpillar eating Iris Leaves

Is this him?

Here is a link that might be useful: Dagger Moth

o

That's not him.

He's more fuzzy looking without spikes.

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

o

Lynn, could it be a woolly caterpillar: Tiger moth. There are species that are all yellow. The adult moth is very light in color. :)

Ginny

o

Thanks you two. Since he's so cute and there's only one of him, even if he's harmful how much harm can he do ?

It's times like these that I really should have a computer and camera that are compatible.

o

what about this guy and he is even from Alberta and he eats irises

Here is a link that might be useful: Ctenucha virginica

o

Not quite CL. I think he might be a spilosoma virginica, yellow woolybear, virginian tiger moth.

Now I'll need to go searching for him to get a better look. I could have thought to take a picture even if I can't post it.

o

So, I've never had any interest in moths, but I've read a bit since finding the yellow woolybear caterpillar and can't see any reason not to kill it if I find it again. I generally let mostly everything be controlled by nature or hand squishing and this guy is of no benefit to my garden.

Am I right?

o

I just came across one crawling along a big leaf of swiss chard (no evidence of munching). I just relocated him to the back of the garden and let him be. I've rarely run across more than one or 2 per season (the sandy coloured one and/or the black with brown band in the middle guy), so I don't see their numbers as too threatening. I googled what they'd look like as adults and have never seen the adult virginian moth, maybe once came across a tiger moth.

As for those numerous white cabbage butterflies flitting about all over the place, whenever I find a green slender caterpillar (and I suspect that is their larvae form) I 'rub' them out. As often as I do that, it doesn't seem to affect their population the following year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here