Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerry1_gw

Evans Cherry

gerry1
16 years ago

A number of years ago I was gifted with tissue cultured Evans Cherry. Shared one, one of the two planted in my garden grew into a beautiful tree. The shared Evans fruited early on while mine would have all of three to six ripened cherries - until this year. Have a bumper crop of lush red cherries this season. If there are any Evans Cherry growers reading this - please share your favorite recipes other then jelly and jam.

Comments (49)

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

I made a cherry sauce, sugar to taste, some cinnamon & thickened with tapioca. Goes well with ham, pork, a dollop on vanilla pudding or over ice cream. Only one of my 2 trees fruited well this year, but it's the first year with any significant amount of fruit so I'm happy. Unless my visiting aunt chooses to make cherry pies (and I'm hoping that will happen) then the rest will be left for the birds.

My Evans have struggled over the years - I planted them in 2000 and had at least 2 years where they died right back to the trunk. I've read that this has a lot to do with the amount of fall rains - they prefer real dry conditions after fruiting and into fall otherwise plenty of dieback. This past spring I had dead branches but for the most part, they are nice and full.

My big beef with these trees, though, is the suckering well away (5' or more) from the original tree. If I'd known that, I would have planted them elsewhere or perhaps not planted them at all. I have cherry tree suckers popping up in flower beds and right in the middle of a clump of flowers. I've considered moving the flowers and just letting the cherries sucker to their hearts content - and call it the cherry grove. Just seems easier than the battle to control it.

• gardenista
    16 years ago

I have 4 Carmine Jewel dwarf cherry trees, which are a newer variety than the Evans, which are known to produce significant suckers. Mine are 4 years old and have no suckers. The Carmine Jewel are stated to have "slight" suckering and Crimson Passion have "rare" suckers according to the U of Sask where they were developed.

• cmmwiebe
    16 years ago

I bought a lb of Evans at the Saskatoon Farmers Market and my wife made a Cherry Crisp. We punched the stones out with wooden skewers and it worked great! I actually ate it for breakfast with milk.
    I saved the seed and am going to plant them, so wondering if anyone has experience with how consistent they are in producing a like plant or will there be some segregation from cross pollinating?
    I am always sorry to hear that plants sucker. So much work. I have a seedling from the U of S material and it has created a patch 2 to 3 ft. square. I am cutting it back to one stem but not a great thing.

• Konrad___far_north
    16 years ago

This is my first bumper crop after about 11 years since planting...well, it was fairly good last year too, only due to 2 mild winters we had...I think?
    We picked about 2/3 of the crop, [8 pails] and juiced them all today, got sweetened with honey, some gets frozen and some goes to wine. The pulp gets dried for bird food.
    Konrad

{{gwi:115864}}

{{gwi:123697}}

• gerry1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Now that was worth the asking! Thank you for all the great ideas - and the pics. Will have to search out some recipes and get to more picking.

I too am finding suckering a problem - the tree is lovely, the fruit really lush but those suckers are going to make for the need to rethink the perennial garden.

• cmmwiebe
    16 years ago

Konrad I have wanted to say how much I enjoy your photos!

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

You have quite the operation there Konrad. I can't wait until my cherry trees produce.

Shelley

• prairierose
    16 years ago

Oddly enough, my Evans Cherry tree has never suckered. We have a bumper crop this year too. We picked 8 gallons today and I canned them. My family likes them just as a fruit. 32 1/2 quarts - our best crop ever. I can them as whole cherries in a thin syrup ( 1 cup sugar to 2 cups water). Delicious!
    Connie

• cmmwiebe
    16 years ago

Connie would you ever have a few pits from your Evans you could spare?

Clayton

Saskatoon

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Konrad, what a beautiful looking crop on your Evans cherry! Nice pics.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Last year I had 3 ice cream pails of cherries, so I canned a few quarts, made some pie filling and jelly. I also made some cherry liqueur.
    You take 4 cups of berries, 3 cups sugar, and 3 cups vodka and put into a 2 quart jar. Shake it every day to dissolve the sugar, and let it sit on the counter for 3 months. Strain, and serve. It makes for an awesome Black Forest Cake when you drizzle it onto the cake.;^)

• Konrad___far_north
    16 years ago

Thank you all!

>>Connie would you ever have a few pits from your Evans you could spare?A reminder....
    Evans cherry pit seedlings make inferior trees,...according to MR. Evans, true, I have not seen any fruiting, all I use them for root stock.
    Konrad

• prairierose
    16 years ago

Clayton, sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I haven't been on the computer much. I checked my big Evans cherry tree. The ones that were too green to pick are ripening nicely, so I should have some pits I can send you. I've never sent anything before: when they're ready I'll ask you for instructions. I don't know how Evans seedlings will turn out, but I do know that results from Nanking cherries are pretty variable. Most of mine are seedlings (the birds leave pits every), and they vary in maturity dates, and size to some extent. I even have one that has pink cherries instead of red ones. They are sweeter, but much less flavorful. No matter how the cherries turn out though, they still make a nice hedge beside one of my gardens.

Connie

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

Connie, i sent some Nanking cherry pits to Clayton. The good part is that you get to eat the cherries first! :D

• cmmwiebe
    16 years ago

Connie send me email at cmmwiebe at gmail.com about the seeds. You don't have an email link on your page. I would only need say ten seeds. Be sure they are dry as I got some from Stephie in BC and the two with a little pulp on actually where softened so I could get the cover off. See my blog below. They were not a stone fruit so this is understandable. Wrap in a little paper towel or small bubble wrap. I will get back to you at the address above.
    Thanks.
    Clayton

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

• dongb
    16 years ago

For my birthday I have been given two Evans bali, which I plant to put in the ground this morning, so I have been reading up on the variety. About the tree's enthusiastic tendency to sucker, I believe the shoots can be dug and replanted for an endless multiplication of individuals. True?

• gerry1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The cherries and apples have kept me busy! Made the lovely cherry sauce, some fruit, didn't have time to pit the cherries so the Cherry Crisp and Pie filler remain on the agenda for next year. Missed on the liqueur- another next year project - we love those Black Forrest Cakes and word has it that our prairie grown cherries make for a superior product so that is must for the next cherry crop.

A friend of mine purchased the grouping offered by the university a few years back - talked to her last evening and she tells me they are not suckering as the Evans has. Unfortunately raccoons beat her to the crop this year - she did note the cherries growing on her trees were about the same size.

That is some operation you have Konrad. May I ask where you get those food grade containers - I so could use some rather then buying an extra crock for my cabbage - or should I take up wine making. Now about that wine ... sounds like a fun project. Any special hints to be sharing? You don't have to pit them - right?

• Konrad___far_north
    16 years ago

>>For my birthday I have been given two Evans bali,>>I believe the shoots can be dug and replanted for an endless multiplication of individuals. True? Found this on the web from Jim Kohut
    I now have some great news to report ! Bailey Nurseries has confirmed that the two cultivars 'Evans Bali' and 'Bali' cherry are in fact the same 'Evans' cultivar that has taken Canada by storm.

dongb
    Evans are usually tissue cultured and the whole tree is the same cultivar, this means you can dig and grow the same cultivar.

Thank you gerry1!

>> May I ask where you get those food grade containers - I so could use some rather then buying an extra crock for my cabbage Not sure which one, the plastic on top is from the Wine making store, the bottom is a Stainless
    high pressure Keg and is used for fermentation.

>> I so could use some rather then buying an extra crock for my cabbage I have seen someone used one of the old aluminium Beer Keg, cut the top off and you have a nice crock.
    The inside has a nice none metalic finish, like a bathtub finish.

>>You don't have to pit them - right?No, you can use them whole.

Konrad

• puddle_of_light_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

it looks like this thread has been dormant for a while, but i've been searching to no avail for care tips/help for the evans bali cherry tree and was hoping someone is still out there & has some feedback! we just bought a house last june with a tree that is maybe 2-3 years old & is very sad. i'm not sure if the gal didn't take care of it last year or what happened, but it is not flowering and there are no leaves on it, and it seems like it is definitely time for some signs of life!! it doesn't feel completely dead. my husband & i are putting down some compost & mulch to past the drip line. any other suggestions?

thanks!!

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Bali does graft them...at least some, you might have one of these?
    Growing on their own root they don't need any care whatsoever.

• njbiology
    12 years ago

Hi Konrad, et al:

1. I planted a 'North Star' sour cherry and will be getting two of the SK dwarf (hybrid) sour cherries. Having these, is there much of an advantage to also getting an 'Evans' (aka 'Bali'/United States) cherry?

2. I take it that the reason the 'Evans' cherry suckers would mean that it is on its own roots, and not grafted; or initially grafted then steeped. Is there any advantage to having sour cherries like 'Evans' and 'North Star' on P. mahaleb rootstocks? They are already dwarfing and the rootstock will, for various reasons, not confer any (further) dwarfing. Perhaps, the P. mahaleb rootstock makes for a more disease-resistant tree? If not, I'd like to steep my sour cherries, burying the graft-union so that, in time, the scion will put out its own roots: will it, and should I do this?

Thanks,
    Steve

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

For what I've heard the Evans does not produce much at all in
    warmer zone's like 5-6 and up, if you have room then you might want to try and see for yourself, this might also be true with the other SK cherries?
    Yes, Evans is vigorous, suckers and it does very well on it's own root. Grafting to mahaleb rootstock should help against suckering...not sure about disease for you area, you would have to check it out. I don't think I would bury the graft in your climate,.... but then, get two of each, one bury and one not, keep the one you like down the road.

I think a North Star is a better Joice for you area.

• njbiology
    12 years ago

Hi,

I'm now growing the following varieties of sour cherry: Northstar; Montmorency; and Jublieum.

Is there any advantage to me having an 'Evans/Bali' cherry, since I can grow the above (I'm in zone 6b), assuming I can even get by with growing this variety in my comparatively warmer climate.

Thanks,
    Steve

• don555
    12 years ago

I don't know about Jublieum, but I think Evans/Bali fruit is very similar to Northstar and Montmorency, so unless you want a third tree with pretty much identical fruit, I wouldn't bother.

don

• njbiology
    11 years ago

How tall/wide does 'Evans'/'Bali' cherry get?

If you burry the graft-union of a sour cherry that is grafted on a rootstock such as P. mahaleb, will the scion eventually root?

I steeped a sour cherry and it only budded and persists, but doesn't seem to be growing. However, having done this to my apricot tree, the apricot is growing - although I do not know if it (did) will root?

Thanks,
    Steve

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

On it's own root they say it gets around 12 feet tall, not sure on the Mahaleb root stock, you might want to ask in the fruit & orchard forum.
    I would think the Evans would root out, I'm only speculating on this because I've seen rooting out near the surface. Cut some vertical slits into the stem where you want it to root, check a year later my removing the soil.

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Done some sucker transplant, from a clump I could divide into 7.
    {{gwi:108328}}

{{gwi:108329}}

• 2deborachatfield
    8 years ago

I looked everywhere for an Evans Cherry sauce or topping for cheese cake. I couldn't find one so I experimented. These cherries are FANTASTIC in a sauce.

4 cups Evans cherries, pitted

2 cups water

2 cups sugar

1/2 tsp. powdered anise

2-3 tsp. cornstarch mixed in few tbsp. cold water

Add cherries, sugar, water, anise in a pot and bring to a low boil for 15 minutes. Pour in the cornstarch mixture and let it thicken as it simmers. Cool and pour on sponge cake, cheese cake, or waffles.

• Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Well..it's been 8 years, just did some picking tonight, might have more then I need and was looking on the net who or for what price people sell them, ..seems around $2.00 lb. Upick when I checked about 2 weeks ago. This one here I found tonight on Kijiji is using my Nanking Cherry picture to sell Evans..what a moron!

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-gardening-plant-fertilizer-soil/edmonton/freshly-picked-ripe-and-juicy-evans-cherries-for-wines-or-jams/1093118313?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

source...

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1472560/cherry-bush-nanking-or-hansen

• m_h_stevens
    7 years ago

Can someone help me I have some Evans cherry seedlings someone gave me. They are about a foot tall. Do I remove the bottom leaves to encourage upward growth? At what point do I let the side branches grow? How many years until it will start producing fruit. I live in southern Ontario.

7 years ago

If they're seedlings from Evans cherry seeds then throw them out, not worth to have around. If they're the tissue cultured ones then nothing needs to be done ...grow them as they come.

• granolabar (Zone 2)
    7 years ago

Had an Evans for 10 years and it suckered once. I mowed off the sucker and the tree died. It was telling me it was dying. The replacement hasn't suckered. I've had a Valentine and I've provided a couple kids with Cherry patches. One of another U. of Sask. cherry seems to sucker a bit but I misplaced its name.

7 years ago

It took about 10 years before my Evans suckered. I'll start pick some today for juice.

But this is what happened this morning..

7 years ago

HOW is Gerry doing these days?

7 years ago

Getting big and need ladder.

• ubro
    7 years ago

That pie looks awesome, recipe?????? I am done picking my Evans for this year. The fruit was juicy and sweeter than I remember my mom's being. Maybe I left them on the tree longer than she did. They certainly color up nice.

7 years ago

Usually I still have some cherries on until freeze up..this way I can browse every day..about for 2 month. Recipe...I'll post later or find it here somewhere, have posted before but can't find it.

7 years ago

OK...for pie shell, we use Tenderflake puff pastry. Cherry two cups pitted, mix with half cup sugar & 1/4 cup flower, put into shell then mix 4 eggs with little milk or cream and pour over, bake at 350F until done...we put it into the little toaster oven about a half hour.

• ubro
    7 years ago

Thanks for the recipe, it is in my recipe book and I am going to get the pastry and try one.

7 years ago

Getting sweeter... picked 17 gallons today.

7 years ago

Looks like I haven't answered some of the questions...

>>May I ask where you get those food grade containers - I so could use
    some rather then buying an extra crock for my cabbage - or should I take
    up wine making.<<

Got it from wine store.

Done the juice extracting today..about 65 Liters, filled a 50 L. keg without any sugar added this time, the rest in 2L. pop bottles not filled all the way, can open better under pressure, [sparkling wine]. Brix/sugar content is a little over 12%, not bad for a wet year I think.

From a leftover stainless steel piece after milling I made a better mixer, [welded/added in the center piece] to rip the cherries apart after thawing out in that container.

7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

>>crazy how much later yours are. inpicked the fruit a month ago on mine.<<

Not later, most of you pick it too early..they were red mid July when I start eating..I have still on trees, [about two month of picking]. They get better/sweeter the longer you let them on the tree.

• wayne
    7 years ago

When I had commented earlier in the year about picking my Carmine Jewel cherries they were ready then and started to shrivel up and lose flavor about two weeks after that post, not sure of the date, so there is differences between types and location...

• mattpf (zone4)
    7 years ago

I don't like my cherries like raisins . I leave mine on as long as I possibly can before they start to shrivel up ,I'm sure they sweeten as the wasps start to love them . 2 months is a big gap this is definitely an environmental difference.

7 years ago

Any sour cherries usually can stay for a long time, [in several places I lived including Switzerland] unless the birds gets them, they will shrink a little but the sugar level goes up ...and raisins... I usually get in spring if birds didn't get them.

These Carmine Jewel were picked Sept.10 and Romeo around the same time when I talked to the grower today, tomorrow will be fruit show at Devonian Garden for sampling.

The Romeo is a better Cherry.

I picked these Evans on Thursday

Today at the growers meeting

• mattpf (zone4)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I know they don't turn into raisins lol I'm just being funny. I did leave a few they didn't last they most likely got bit than dried up like rasins

6 years ago

Another bountiful crop this year! Unbelievable how these Evans can produce.

• ubro
    6 years ago

My Evans does not produce like that! but it is increasing every year. This year I had enough to make a crisp.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz