Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbiecz3

Native Prairie Plants

debbiecz3
11 years ago

I am trying to incorporate more prairie natives in my garden beds. One of them is the Narrow Leaved Sunflower or Maximillian's Sunflower. It grows quite tall and unfortunatly seems to flop at blooming time. Does anyone else grow this plant? I wondered if I pinched it back earlier in the season if this would help prevent it from flopping to the ground. I have had to give it a lot of support to keep it upright but that takes away from its natural look. I also wonder if it needs more sun than I am giving it; it gets about 6 hours of eastern sun. Other prairie natives I am growing are Prairie Smoke (Geum Triflorum), Swamp Milkweed, Iris Versicolor, Marsh Marigold, False Solomon Seal, and Meadow Rue. What Prairie natives are others growing?

Comments (4)

• davidpeaceriver__2b
    11 years ago

Hm, that's unfortunate -- it's an attractive flower. Have you thought about growing Jerusalem Artichoke in a patch? It's too sturdy to flop (and this may be a different problem), and it's a very late bloomer (mine don't even think about starting to bloom until September), and so it'll add a touch of fall colour to your garden.

I added opuntia fragilis to my garden this year.

• northspruce
    11 years ago

I grow Geum triflorum - it loves my yard! Also false Solomon's seal, Opuntia, and Smilax herbacea (carrion vine). I keep trying to start milkweed but it hates me. Maybe I should just buy a plant.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

I have two selections of false Solomon's seal, one of my own and one just received from a friend, hers is particularly outstanding.

I live in a forested plot with many desirable native plants, including three types of ferns, all being very attractive species. There's also one I've never before seen anywhere, the base of the stems have a unique yellowish orange color and foliage is upright. I must mark and move several of the rough fruited fairy bells, these are attractive foliage plants with glowing colored fruit. I also need to take advantage of bunchberry!

Thanks for posting this Debbie, it makes me realize I must utilize many of the attractive native plants already found in my literal backyard!

Terrance

• debbiecz3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks David, I have looked at Jerusalem Artichoke but have no space for it at present; am hoping to establish a new sunny bed for mostly prairie natives but life keeps getting in the way! I would love to have a bed with big and little bluestem, prairie coneflower and rudbeckia etc.; guess more of a late summer blooming bed.I was very excited to see the Monarch Caterpillars on my Swamp Milkweed but they did not seem to stay around for long this year; last year they stripped the plant completely. I have also made a few acquisitions to go into a shaded bed: a spring bluebell whose name escapes me, barren strawberry (good for dry shade I hear) and a few others. Prairie Originals just outside Selkirk is a great source for prairie natives and seeds. The owner also sells plants at the St. Norbert Farmers Market just outside Winnipeg for those in the area. Gillian, I have seed pods on my Milkweed if you are interested in trying them again from seed let me know and I would be happy to send you some.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus