Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

Suggestions for unpickable flowers?

northspruce
13 years ago

I need some ideas for my front sidewalk bed. As those on my Facebook will know, my front lilies get stolen every year. I'm going to move them into the yard where so far things don't get bothered. I'm also going to move a couple of SDB irises out of there as they're not doing all that well. That will leave a couple of daylilies, some potentilla bushes, and some Geum triflorum (ragged robin). Anyone have ideas for a fairly small perennial that won't attract picking attention? It would be in light shade and well drained to dry soil.

Comments (14)

• beegood_gw
    13 years ago

Is it too shady for cactus? They sure wouldn't pick that

• nutsaboutflowers
    13 years ago

How about Bishop's weed? Ha! Ha! I love mine and just gave some to a friend who asked for it, too. I know, lots of people hate it =:)

What about a peony? Would it fit in the spot? Even if someone dug it up, it would still come back. It took me three years to get rid of one in my old yard.

How about planting something that really irritates people's skin ? You could put a decorative plant label indicating it burns skin on contact, LOL !

Seriosly though, bishop's weed, peony ? I can't think of anything else that plant thieves wouldn't want and would grow back if they did steal it.

What kind of people steal plants anyway !?! Unbelievable!

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

This is very unfortunate, norhtspruce.

Hm..a rose bush? ..too thorny to pick?

• shazam_z3
    13 years ago

Foxglove or monkshood. Irritating to skin.

Are you sure it's not rabbits? They love to eat lilies right down. Lilies are completely edible, even the bulbs, BTW, so maybe it's hungry vagrants.

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

Boy, am I ever having problems with PhotoBucket! First they delete my pics and now they won't let me upload everything. But here goes anyway. I tried to upload a pic of 'Max Frei' geranium. I have it at the front of a flowerbed. It stays in a nice clump and has rosy pink flowers all summer. Height - 4". Here are 2 others:

Red Spangles Heuchera. Stays nice and compact and flowers in late spring/early summer. Hummers favorite.
    {{gwi:770509}}

Royal Wave Campanula. Not invasive. Flowers all summer here. Height - 5"
    {{gwi:770511}}

• sierra_z2b
    13 years ago

A well placed rose to fit the height of the missing lilies will do the trick. (You might be able to prune it to a standard if you need to fit it in a smaller area) I had someone reaching over the fence and yanking the flowers and even tried to steal 2 blooming bags last year. I had nailed the blooming bags down so this wouldn't happen. However it was tried but the only evidence was the stretched handles on the blooming bags. LOL Check, won that one. Next I had planted roses along part of the front fence. Someone also grabbed the rose stem last year....hee hee hee. Check, won that one too....there was blood on the fence. Not a lot, but bet that hurt like Ahem! The roses haven't been touched this year. Guess they learned their lesson. LOL

Sierra

• northspruce
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I'm going to pass on anything truly dangerous to passers-by, I don't want anyone getting hurt or scratched by accident.

Shazam, I know it's not bunnies, they do nibble my lilies when they first sprout but these lilies are snapped off raggedly right when the Lollipop ones bloom. I love foxglove but can't grow it despite several tries. Monkshood perhaps too big... but maybe.

NAF - I do like bishop's weed, I have a lot in the backyard and I'm fond of it, but I don't want it in the front. I have too many peonies and the space is too small.

Bee- yes too shady for cacti. They would grow but not bloom.

Marric - I like your suggestions. I even have some coral bells I could move there. Does that campanula grow from seed or would I have to find it at a greenhouse?

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

Gil, how about some other small shrubs?

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

I bought the campanula from a nursery. I've never tried it from seed - it may not come true. I'm going out now to check for seeds and if there are some I'll send some if you want to try. I'll let you know. It sounds like you will have lots of flowers already so how about some foliage?
    If you already have heuchera, perhaps one with colorful foliage would fit the bill? Or maybe a small variegated hosta? A good reason to buy more plants.

• shazam_z3
    13 years ago

How about barberries? They're viciously thorny.

• Pudge 2b
    13 years ago

Bergenia?

• Pudge 2b
    13 years ago

I just came across this site while looking for info on Solomon's Seal. Shade gardening in Edmonton - looks to have lots of info.

Here is a link that might be useful: northernshade

• DrHorticulture_
    13 years ago

Canada thistle! :)

• northspruce
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just to clarify, I'm not looking for something that is prickly or would do damage to passers-by. I just want something that wouldn't exactly make a great bouquet, if that makes sense. A dwarf campanula or monkshood is a definite possibility and would look good with my ragged robin...

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus