Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Some kind of slime invading the lawn

Posted by north53 1b Manitoba (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 18:20

Well it isn't a gardening question, but I thought it might be sensible to ask people who garden in my zone.
Last week while weeding I noticed clumps of firm jelly like stuff in my lawn. I intended to go rake it out, but in the meantime we had quite a lot of rain. Now it has turned into large globs of green slime. It is really gross and quite extensive in the few feet close to the street. I don't even know if this is plant material. I've never seen this before and don't know what to do or who to ask. Help!
Here's a picture if you can stand to look at it.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Some kind of slime invading the lawn

Here ya go, it's a slime mold!

Here is a link that might be useful: Slime Mold

o

Thanks Northspruce,
I've lived here for a long time, and never saw this before. We did have heavy rainfall this week, about 4 inches. But the slime was there before the rain, only it was more solid and benign looking. This is downright ugly. Glad to hear it's harmless.

o

I had some on my lawn a long time ago that looked exactly like dog vomit. If you Google "dog vomit lawn" you will actually find a lot of info about slime molds. ;0) That's how I knew about them. It's alarming how there's nothing there then one morning there's a big slimy thing on your grass.

o

That's pretty disgusting looking all right !

Has it spread even more, or gone away? Did you leave it alone, or did you get up the nerve to try to remove it somehow?

I'd give it a 7 on the ick factor scale =:)

o

Ectoplasm! Who ya' gonna call?... :-)

o

North53

What became of your slime? Did it go away on it's own, spread, or did you have to remove it yourself?

o

Naf, I'm a procrastinator. Though I did have intentions about dealing with it, as I recall, we were out of town for several days after I posted the picture. When we returned the mold seemed to have shriveled up, though I could find it if I looked carefully. So nothing got done, but according to some of the responses I got, it is caused by poor growing conditions. So I plan to try to improve the soil in that area, and just generally try to care for the lawn better. Mostly the mold was on the boulevard part of the lawn that gets abused by the town during the winter when they plow excess street snow up on to it. That contains a lot of gravel and salt. I found it odd that none of the neighbour's boulevards had it though. My husband said he did notice it at his workplace. So I told him he brought it home on his shoes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here