Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

Emily Carr - proving to be gigantic.

northspruce
9 years ago

This is the Emily Carr I bought for my mom about 4 years ago. It's a beast now! There's not much for scale, but the red gladiolus at the bottom is a normal size, around 2' high? EC is about 5.5 feet in every direction.

Comments (14)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Ohhh my that is nice!

If mine is going to get that tall I should move it now...I have it in the front of a bed.

Thanks for the pic

SCG

• weeper_11
    9 years ago

Yes, I've found that mine gets to be very large as well. Definitely one of my very favorites, always a beauty!

• shazam_z3
    9 years ago

That was mine last year. They were monstrous for whatever reason. I think it was because I fertilized them heavily at the start of the season.

• prairie_northrose (3b north of Calgary AB, Canada)
    9 years ago

Mine is very vigorous as well. Grew almost a foot in the last month. Stems are very upright, new leaves are nice and big. It went from 2 gallon pot, to a large white bucket, then into the ground. I was very pleased to see all the white feeder roots.

I am also very impressed by bloom length. The flowers last a good week before showing signs of shriveling. The flower stays cupped, and remains the relatively the same shade of red. In my experience, they do not self-clean.

The only area of disappointment I have with Emily Carr is that both of mine(I have 2) have no scent at all, no matter what time of day. As a new rose gardener, I did not realize I would be so disappointed in this. Time for me to think of some fragrant ones!

This post was edited by prairie_northrose on Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 12:24

• moftah Younis
    2 years ago

Hello

What is your experience with Emily Carr blooming period / reblooming

2 years ago

Moftah, once it starts, it continuously blooms for me until winter. I find it always has a few blooms on it.

• moftah Younis
    2 years ago

thank you

do you recomend it over othe red coloured hardy roses

2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Moftah, that is a great question. I have these red roses: Canadian Shield, Emily Carr, Champlain, Quadra, Hansaland & I’d also say Cuthbert Grant is a deep burgundy red. I’ll include Never Alone too, although it has hints of white.

They’re all different in their own way so it’s hard to say which one is better than the others. It also depends on what is important to you.

Below are observations based on what I have, but experiences from other gardeners might be different due to soil conditions, care, microclimate, etc:

Best bush form - Emily Carr

Worst bush form - Champlain (does better with staking)

Tallest bush - Emily Carr

Shortest bush - Never Alone

Most vigorous grower - Canadian Shield or Emily Carr

Weakest grower - Never Alone, Champlain, Cuthbert Grant

Shiniest leaves - Never Alone (this plant is worth getting just for it’s dark shiny leaves)

Most dull leaves - Emily Carr (leaves are more green-yellow toned) or Cuthbert Grant (leaves are more green-blue)

Most cane hardy - Hansaland

Least cane hardy - Champlain, Cuthbert Grant

Bloom shape most like a hybrid tea - Canadian Shield, Emily Carr or Never Alone

Bloom shape most flat/ruffled - Champlain, Hansaland, Quadra

Most fragrance - Cuthbert Grant (but still only a mild to moderate fragrance)

Least fragrant - Almost all of them except Cuthbert Grant

Most floriferous/most blooms - Champlain (the plant often looks like it has as many blooms as leaves)

Least blooms - Emily Carr (but it’s not in the best soil for me)

Most disease resistant - Canadian Shield or Hansaland

Least disease resistant - Champlain (always gets covered in blackspot for me)

Most continuous blooms (buds continuing to form as flowers are fading) - Emily Carr, Canadian Shield or Champlain

Least continuous blooms (blooms in a flush) - Cuthbert Grant (has about two or three distinct flushes, with clear periods of only green growth)

Longest lasting blooms - Emily Carr, Canadian Shield or Never Alone

Shortest lasting blooms - Hansaland

Largest blooms - Cuthbert Grant (they are big and globular almost like a peony. Sadly they are so big they droop down quite a bit because their stems are weak), Quadra

Smallest blooms - Emily Carr, Never Alone

Most petals - Canadian Shield, Quadra

Least petals - Emily Carr or Cuthbert Grant

Out of the above, my favourite is Cuthbert Grant because fragrance is really, really important to me.

I don’t have the red roses Henry Kelsey or Hope for Humanity, but I’ve read good things about them.

• moftah Younis
    2 years ago

Thank you so much. i really appreciate taking time to write this

this is the most useful and practical review I ever came across

my Cuthbert Grant is different from what you described it must be mislabeled

it is hardy because it survived the winter here in saskatoon

this is thd picture of the presumed Cuthbert Grant its not fragrant

Its the one in the middle

• VStapes (z3 Mb)
    2 years ago

MY EC grew 6 feet tall the first year, but never since. Currently it is about 2 feet tall. it is just now putting out the first couple blooms. It gets rabbit pruned every winter, so pretty much starts from the ground each spring. It is a nice red, but my favourite red by far is Hope for Humanity. One of the first to bloom and still blooming. nice deep red colour. Suckers a bit. Smaller bush than EC.

• moftah Younis
    2 years ago

I also liked Hope for humanity when i saw it in stores. i should creat a space for it, if it continues to bloom

2 years ago

Moftah, that is a beautiful rose, and lovely rose bed. Unfortunately I do not know the name of your rose.

I find my Cuthbert Grant’s flowers nod downwards. Here is a link to the HelpMeFind rose registry, it has many photos of Cuthbert Grant: https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.1404&tab=36&qn=0&qc=0

• moftah Younis
    2 years ago

prairie-northrose Thank you so much

This is another mislabeled rose (the tag was prairie joy (definitely not))

It doesn’t have a scent

Do you know what could it be

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm