Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirelette

help Id plant

squirelette
14 years ago

I found a plant in the yard that I am not sure what it is. It has a flower like a thistle but orange, maybe a centaurea? It has elipitical opposing leaves. I took a pic but can't get it to load. Any ideas, I know that there are yellow centaurea but this is a definite orange. If I am sure it is hardy I would transplant it into the garden. I assume the birds brought in a seed.

Comments (20)

• beverly_c
    14 years ago

The plant could be orange hawkweed and it is considered a noxious weed. Here is a link to see a picture of it and other plants you do not want to encourage to grow in your yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: CNIPM

• northspruce
    14 years ago

I thought of orange hawkweed too, but it doesn't have elliptical opposite leaves. It has a basal rosette of elongated leaves.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    14 years ago

I thought of hawkweed as well but she wouldn't have just one! Funny thing - there were some seeds in the Box of Seeds that was going around that i think were for hawkweed. No need to go through the trouble of planting it around here, that's for sure!

• squirelette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is not hawkweed, I transplanted it into the garden so I will hope it grows, if it came up and bloomed in the scree under the pine I hope it will bloom more in the garden and come back next year. I will take the seed if I get some and hope for the best all around. I am pretty sure it is some type of centaurea but what a color. If some one has an idea what it is I would love to hear so I can get it again if it doesn't survive.Thanks

• beegood_gw
    14 years ago

That's odd cause I found a plant like that growing by the side of my house where it's never been before. Leave have almost spiny edges to them. Real weird.Brite orange turning to close to red as it ages.

• squirelette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sounds exactly right. The one I found was in the scree under the pine tree so is tiny but it looks like it might have tiny spines.

• canadian_daisy
    14 years ago

I know hawkweed was ruled out, but your description sure sounds like devil's paintbrush (Hieracium aurantiacum) also known as orange hawkweed which is a common wildflower here in Northeastern Ontario.

This link might help
    http://www.bio.brandeis.edu/fieldbio/Wildflowers_Kimonis_Kramer/PAGES/DEVILSPAINTBRUSH_PAGE_FINAL.html

• beegood_gw
    14 years ago

No it for sure is not Devils paint brush. I DO have a picture but I think I could fly to the moon in a hot air balloon before I ever figured out how to post one. PS I'm old!!

• northspruce
    14 years ago

If you want to e-mail it to me I'd be happy to put it up for you beegood. sproast @ hotmail.com (leave out the spaces)

• northspruce
    14 years ago

Ok here it is from beegood's photos... it's very pretty, I've never seen anything like it around here.

{{gwi:313387}}

{{gwi:313389}}

• northspruce
    14 years ago

By the way if nobody here knows, I can post it on the Name that Plant forum. Some of the people there know everything, LOL.

• squirelette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That is it. Mine is so small I can't see the spines. I am thinking it must be the thistle family now. At least I know the rabbit won't eat it if it gets bigger, bugger almost fell in the pond trying to get the watercress. I would really like to know what it is. Thanks

• northspruce
    14 years ago

Ok I'll post it on Name that Plant. I'm dying to know what it is too!

• northspruce
    14 years ago

It has been identified as SAFFLOWER. I wonder if they're putting it in birdseed mixes now? It's the only explanation I can think of.

• beegood_gw
    14 years ago

Well I'll be damned.!! Guess it must have come with the bird seed. Thank you so much for your help.

• squirelette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Amazing, I knew it was in the bird seed but did not think about checking that. At least I know where to get more now. Thanks

• northspruce
    14 years ago

And here I've just been growing volunteer sunflowers and millet... I guess I'm buying the wrong birdseed, LOL.

I wouldn't mind growing that as an ornamental. I never even knew what safflowers looked like.

• beegood_gw
    14 years ago

I never knew what they looked like either(obviously). Always for some reason thought they belonged to the sunflower family. I will try and save some seeds and if I get some will send you some.

• squirelette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Should be able to get the seeds at a good birding store/site, they are supposed to be unappetizing to bigger birds- magpies, crows, etc. I will be checking at the local "widlife" shop. I always thought they were more like rice, or barley. Guess we'll all be trying them next year.

• northspruce
    14 years ago

Cool, thanks Beegood!