Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting sedum cuttings

Posted by valleyrimgirl 2b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 07 at 19:31

Has anyone ever tried to start sedums using cuttings from the mother plant?

A few days ago, I took cuttings from these sedums...
jaws,
garnet brocade,
purple emperor,
strawberries and cream,
red cauli,
spectible, variegated
frosty morn,
rosy glow,
stardust,
bertram anderson.

And want to take a few yet from
zenox,
mohrchen,
ewersii,
brilliant,
blade runner.

I am planting them up in the greenhouse and am hoping for lots of signs of new growth in the next few weeks. If so, I would like to then sink them into the ground without disturbing the soil...pot and all...for winter about the end of Sept. If there is no sign of new growth yet, they are all coming into the sunroom for the winter....jungle, here we come!

Object of this experiment...more sedums for the landscaping. I am loving my one plant of strawberries and cream, my one plant of zenox, my one plant of purple emperor, my one blade runner, one red cauli, one jaws, one garnet brocade, etc, etc. Why not two or more of them in the yard, expecially for this time of the year when they are blooming.

What varieties do you all have out there? Any real favorites (besides Autumn Joy)?

Brenda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting sedum cuttings

I've done cuttings of Bertram Anderson and another creeping one whose name escapes me now. I don't think i even used rooting hormone - just stuck them into the ground. Laurie sent me cuttings from her Blue Spruce last year but it was in the wooden trough with the semps and some other sedums and didn't make it through the winter. I've never done cuttings from taller upright sedums, but would like to try.

o

I've never tried it, but one of Lois Hole's books talked about Autumn Joy. It said if you just cut off a stem and stick it in the ground it would root. She recommended cutting them back early on, to get a bushier plant. Maybe next year I'll give it a try.
Connie

o

Connie, I did not do any Autumn Joy because I already have 6-10 established plants in the landscaping. Next year though I would like to take the shovel to a few clumps and divide them in half, amend the soil and replant them. I will keep some of the halved sections and sell the others at my perennial sale in May or at the Farmer's Market in the summer.

If these cuttings will root and grow, then I want to take cuttings this winter, from them. Then, next spring I would also be planting out a bushier plant for the landscaping or selling a bushier sedum at the plant sales.

This could be fun yet!

Brenda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here