Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

How many hostas can you fit in this bag?

25...my heart is sad as I had a few with very obvious symptoms of HVX. Thanks to Northspruce for enlightening me.

Such a sad, sad day.

I pruned them all to be safe...uggg.... who has beer?

SCG

Comments (17)

• northspruce
    9 years ago

Oh no! Make sure you sterilize your shovel and anything else that touched them, with bleach (I think bleach is good). You can't replant with hostas in the same place. I was just coming to post photos of my lovely disease-free hostas on the other thread. Hopefully you have a spot some ways away to put them! If not, may I recommend that Hosta Geek also sells a variety of ligularias.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was told I can plant hostas as long as the roots were either rotted or gone as it was safe as it only lived in live cells.... I dug up enough earth to plant a tree around each....absolutely no chance of roots remaining....a wheel barrow around each should be enough.

That being said I am most certainly going to order from hostageeks now. Wife will kill me but I will have to include a few more than the 'road to ruins' collection.

FWIW i threw the shovel in the dump as well....AHHHHHH!!!

Uggg, F*&%$K and all that stuff, I am depressed about it.

SCG

• northspruce
    9 years ago

That sucks. We will drink a sad glass of whatever you drink together and I will be depressed about my dug out lilies and you can be depressed about your HVX. You wife might kill you for drinking with a strange female, too. LOL

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Ouch, sorry to see that. : (

Don B.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I was trying to save some. But all are gone now. Uggggg

• ostrich
    9 years ago

Oh no..... SCG, this must be so hard.... but it's better to do it now than later!

Once you got your new babies, you will completely forget about these infected ones here! :-)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

SCG, I'm sorry to see that. That happened to me as well, I bought a bunch from a few different big box stores, and a lot were just loaded with HVX. Didn't know about it then. You are correct, I did the same thing regarding digging out the old, contaminated soil. I dug out holes the size of BOMB craters, practically. LOL But yeah, it'll be safe to plant hostas again.

Anyway, onward and upward, eh? Have fun picking out your new ones from a nice safe source. : )

Cheers,
    Don B.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Absolutely, because of this I am ordering hostas instead of roses...now I am worried how to make room for the 50+ i ordered....ugggg

SCG

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Don B., I know I am not the only one but I should have been invincible!

This shyte doesn't happen this far north!!!

Who am I kidding....Uggggg lol

SCG

• north53 Z2b MB
    9 years ago

Geez, SCG, that is awful. 25! Seems like a lot even from the Big Box Stores.
    It is heartbreaking to have to destroy a whole hosta because of the virus, that often just shows up on a couple of leaves. I have only had 2 obviously infected ones to destroy. I felt relief to get them out of my garden.

There is still a risk no matter where you buy them, but the odds are much better buying from a reputable grower.
    The plants I got from Hosta Geek have all grown really well. They seem to have preferred fall planting. I'm sure yours will do great as well.

Original Author
    9 years ago

North53 I only had two showing obvious signs of HVX but it can take a couple years to see signs of infection. I could not have been certain that I didn't infect the others and they were almost all purchased from the same place. So, since I was already considering a fairly large hosta order I decided to err on the side of caution. Most of the plants were purchased this summer so wasn't much of a chore to yank them out. I had considered buying test strips and testing each plant but all the plants were on sale so the test would cost more than the plant. Then if they all were infected it, too, would have been a waste of money.

Hardest part is now selecting the replacements. I am torn between the 'road to ruins' or 'hosta of the year' collections from hosta geek. Of course I want them all!

SCG

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

You threw away the shovel too?? Remind your children not to tick you off. lol

• north53 Z2b MB
    9 years ago

SCG, I looked at both catagories and if it were me, I'd pick Hosta of the Year selection.
    Of those listed, I have Sagae, June, Regal Splendor, Sum and Substance, Liberty and I gave Fragrant Bouquet to my DS. They are all really great. You must get a Liberty!
    I also have Blue Mouse Ears, but it is a mini. Paul's Glory is doing a sulk in my yard. Some of the others are on my 'want' list.

Lots of the ones listed in the Road to Ruin are common more available oldies. Of those I have Francee, August Moon, Lancifolia, Undulata, Aureomarginata, sieboldiana, Regal Splendor, Sum & Substance, Gold standard, and tokudama flavocircinalis, and probably gold edger (too hot to go out to look)

Original Author
    9 years ago

North53, again you are absolutely right. I was trying to be cheap because my last job fell through and thought I had convinced myself I would be happy with the other collection, which I probably would be just not as much. But then again when someone asks you what hosta that is it is much cooler saying 'Blue Mouse Ears' or 'Paradigm' than 'Undulata Mediovarigata' or 'Fortunae Aureomarginata'.

I am going to send an email soon to get this torture over!!

SCG

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

'Atlantis' is always a cool name to say. This one got bashed by hail in June, but boy it's sure holding it's colors, even in the hot hot heat. Does well in North and South regions. Gets big.

Don B.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Another nice one Don.... I am going to add that one to my want list.

I can't wait for the order to get here. I also added Empress Wu I might have to do some serious garden arrangement for a spot for her to fit!

SCG

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Nice, SCG! That's why I don't yet have Empress Wu; Gotta make some space!

Don B.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES