Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Garden Pics - Week of July 31st

Crazy_Gardener
18 years ago

We're late, so I guess I'll start this week off.....here are some plants that are blooming in my garden.

{{gwi:770838}}
Asiatic LA Hybrid Lily ÂFangioÂ

{{gwi:770839}}
Asiatic Lily 'Brunello'

Verbascum nigrum

{{gwi:770842}}
Eschscholzia californica 'Aurantiaca Orange' California Poppy

Self-Seeded Sunflower

Danish Flag Poppy

Don't want to be a piggy of space, but I have many more Lilys, Petunias, and other garden photos at my photobucket link below, hope you'll enjoy them ;)

Let's see what's blooming in your garden this week too?

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: More Photos for Week of July 31st

Comments (36)

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

Ok, I'm coming to live at your house, Sharon. It looks so peaceful and relaxing. I'll even leave my kids behind. But, I'm not sure I would eat at your picnic table. ; ) I'd eat at the firepit, though.

And if all of you keep up these lily photos, you may convert me to an Asiatic lover yet. LOL That's going to be hard to do because they don't have fragrance! Alright, alright! A FEW have fragrance. LOL

I really like the Danish Flag poppy. It is so pretty.

I'm recharging batteries so I'll probably get some pics up tomorrow.

Shauna

• Snomam
    18 years ago

How gorgeous and colorful and yes, peaceful looking!

• cailinriley
    18 years ago

Sharon, your photos and garden are stunning, as usual!! I can imagine your yard is quite fragrant, too, with all those petunias. Of all the pictures, here and in your Photobucket album, my favourite is the self-seeded sunflower--great textures!!

Speaking of fragrance, last week Laurie said her Fangio lilies are extremely scented. Can I impose upon your nose, again please, and ask if yours are, too? I want to start compiling a list of fragrant Asiatics and LA hybrids to add to my garden. Most LA's have a bit of a scent, even 'Suncrest', but I'm looking for some that are quite noticeable without being overpowering. Thanks so much, Sharon!

Keep sharing your wonderful garden with us! I always look forward to your photos.

Doris

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    18 years ago

Sharon, when do you get a chance to sit down and relax in that lounge chair?? You have a gorgeous yard! Can i send people there for the tour next year? :>

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you so much you gals, makes me feel so good with all your nice compliments! I had another nice compliment as well this evening, the farmer down the road who cuts our hay came knocking on my door just to say how lovely my garden is, he also said, you must spend a lot of hours working at it, I just smiled back and nodded that itÂs something that I love to do.

Marcia, I have not relaxed in that lounge chair in a decade, I used to use it in my tanning days....LOL, now when I do have the time, I like to relax in the swing instead, drinking my morning coffee or watching the sunset in the evenings with a glass of wine, yes for sure it is spiritually peaceful out here.

Doris, every year I get surprise sunflowers popping here and there, theyÂre from the black oil and stripe sunflower seeds that I feed to the birds. You should see some of the stocks on them, I bet they're about 2-3" thick!
    For sure LA 'Fangio' have a scent, I believe 'Samur' does too, but I will have to double sniff tomorrow.

Now Shauna, are you not going to eat at the picnic table just because I have ol' bed pans sitting on there ;)

Happy Gardening!
    Sharon

• alalbertaz2b
    18 years ago

Hi Sharon
    Lovely yard!! I also like the Dainish Flag poppy. It will be on my list of plants to find for next year. One question, I was wondering how do you create an album that can be accessed from Garden Web? This picture posting thing is still new to me. Thank you.

Cheers Al

18 years ago

Al, i use Webshots or Photobucket for albums. Go and check them out. It isn't hard to do!

Here are pictures taken yesterday. Renoir was the free lily from somewhere - Botanus? Anyway, i like it! Really pretty! Does anyone know what my orange lilies are? I have no idea, but i love them! (Heck, i love almost anything! LOL)

Sharon, i have a lounge chair too, but it's seldom used. I prefer sitting on the top step of the deck with my morning coffee, next to a big container of petunias - the only ones to be religiously deadheaded! LOL Speaking of which, i am thoroughly sick of most of the petunias and have started giving them severe haircuts. They are REALLY ugly and i'll have to figure out what i've done wrong with them so that i don't repeat that mistake!

Severe weather rolling in here this morning - better get off this thing! Happy gardening, all!

Here is a link that might be useful: First week of August pics

• RosesRred
    18 years ago

I'll ditto the comments about the beuatiful garden! Everything looks so nice!!! Thanks for sharing!

Lori

• Laurie_z3_MB
    18 years ago

Sharon, I think you missed your other calling.....to be a photographer! Your pictures always blow me away!

There's a few new things blooming in my garden, but things are sure slowing down.

First bloom on 'Love'.....great scent too.

JP Connell is still blooming and this is one of the few roses I like when it's wide open. I think I posted that it has no scent, but at certain times it does have a lovely fragrance.

Ligularia, 'The Rocket'. The leaves aren't being devoured yet this year for a change.

Plume poppy with white sweetpeas.

Lilies are slowing down...here's 'Merry Spring'

Liatris with monks hood in the background

and a pretty noid daylily.

I have to get in one more pic of my fav rose, 'Hawkeye Belle'. It's about 15" tall and just loaded with blooms.

Isn't it funny how a month ago, I was praying for the rain to stop, and now we could use some! Will the perfect summer never come? :o)
    Laurie

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Beautiful yard and flowers Sharon! Isn't it nice to hear those neighbourly compliments... my neighbour told me my garden looks like the Garden of Eden which is funny because it looks awful to me and it's always a work in progress. Marcia your flower pics are great too. What a deal to get Renoir free! It's fantastic.

Laurie, OMG I didn't know you were growing Love! I've had my eye on it but I'm scared being a florist rose it might not overwinter well... you will have to tell me how it does. I also didn't know it smelled at all. Yours looks beautiful!

:-( I have no pics to post because my garden is doing nothing special and you're all sick of Autumn Sunset already... haha

• Laurie_z3_MB
    18 years ago

Gillian, keep your fingers crossed for me on over wintering it. It was only a walmart boxed rose, so if it croaks I won't cry much! The scent is soft and comes and goes depending on the time of day. It's very pretty, but it took forever for it to come out of dormancy.....I was this close to taking it back, as I thought it was dead!

Could never be sick of Autumn Sunset! Is it still in bloom?

Laurie

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Sharon,Laurie and Marcia...your gardens are lovely!

Here are some of this weeks pics here.

I had to post these ice plants.....I may have post some before....they really put on a show when its sunny out.
    {{gwi:770856}}

perennial baby's breath.
    {{gwi:770857}}

This is/was a mini rose...but I am not convinced....it could have been a grafted mini...these flowers are 3 to 4 inches across. Very pretty still but much larger than all the other minis I have.
    {{gwi:770859}}

Now the lilies...
    Asiatic
    {{gwi:767754}}

Trumpet
    {{gwi:770861}}

Martagon
    {{gwi:770864}}

species
    {{gwi:770866}}

Sierra

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Al! Give Photobucket.com a try, itÂs a free image-hosting program for a limited about of space, but you can also subscribe every 3 months or once a year for more space if you need it.

IÂve had a few email requests for the Danish Poppy seed for trade, however my saved seeds wonÂt be certain to be exact, since I have so many other varieties of Poppies in the garden. Seeds can be purchased at William Dam Seed if youÂre looking ;)

Marica, you are famous for your Lilies, WOW!!!! I really love that Northern Carillon, it looks like a LA, is it? Ok, where did you buy it????

Laurie, I just love your style, your Roses, Lilies, Daylilies and especially your Ferns! My shade garden is only two years old and hopefully mine will look like yours next year!

Northspruce, a garden is really never finished is it. LOLÂ My Renoir Lily was free too from Botanus, thatÂs why I love to order from them, a lot of freebies thrown in.

Sierra, absolutely gorgeous Lilies you have too!!! Your last Lily photo looks like L. pardalinum, did you order it from Botanus. Dang I should of ordered that oneÂ.next year!!!

I also grow Ice Plants every year, just love them; they really do look like they have frost crystals on their stems.

Wonderful plants everyoneÂ..of course my Wish List is getting longer and longer each week! LOL

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Marica, are you sure your Free Lily from Botanus is a 'Renoir'?

Oh yeah Doris, Samur has just a slight scent, could be because its very windy out this afternoon, but I'll take another sniff this evening if the wind ever settles down ;)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Thanks Sharon, yes that is L. pardalinum. I know I have never sent an order to Botanus so no I didn't order it from there......but I can't remember where I ordered it from. I know I planted one bulb and this year there were 4 and 3 of them bloomed.....they are so bright they stand out nicely in the garden.

Have you grown turks cap lily 'black beauty'? Thats the one I want to add now. Maybe next spring. Its in the Veseys fall catalogue.

Sierra

18 years ago

Sharon, i have another lily in the same bed that hasn't bloomed yet, so maybe that one is Renoir. Shoot, now i have to remember what this one is! LOL My book with orders in it is downstairs and i'm too lazy to go and look, but i'll check it out. It's probably from T&T, but who knows where i've hidden THAT catalogue! LOL

Northern Carillon is an Orienpet, isn't it? I think it was in a bag of mixed lilies from Walmart - i thought i was just buying Stargazers, but these were in there too. Serendipity! Those things are huge - the buds are almost 4" long!

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Marcia.....your mislabled lily is Centerfold. Its an asiatic.

Sierra

18 years ago

Yes, that's it! Mislabelled only in my mind, actually - which is typical! Thanks, Sierra!

18 years ago

Here's the actual Renoir - not open yet, though!
    {{gwi:770867}}

Here's Centrefold again, with two more blooms - i really like this one!
    {{gwi:524181}}

Some stargazers have opened, but i think some mustn't have come back this year. :( (Well, there's an excuse to get more, eh?!)
    {{gwi:770868}}

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Marcia, you are truly the Queen of Lilies! I really like that 'Centerfold'! Another one on the wish list ;)

• nanatina
    18 years ago

All of the lily pictures are just fabulous!!
    I have really been neglecting my gardens this yr and they have become quite messy. I really need to do some dividing and moving of plants this fall.

Here are a few of my lillies - none of which I kept tags for so have no idea what they are.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    18 years ago

Marcia, love the brushstrokes on Centerfold, I'm a sucker for that type!

Nanatina, what an amazing border of lilies. I'm sure it's a traffic stopper! I know I would stop. :)

Laurie

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Beautiful Lilies Tina! Your first photo looks like L. 'Cancun'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cancun

• Laurie_z3_MB
    18 years ago

This rose bloomed a few days ago, but of course it wasn't the variety that the tag said it was. According to the knowledgeable people at the rose forum it is 'Scentimental'. It does have a nice scent, but I'm not sure whether I like the stripes or not. Yeah or nay?

Laurie

• northspruce
    18 years ago

AAAAGH! You have Scentimental too! I love that rose! It's on my list for next year - gonna have to tell me how it winters. One vote yes from me, I'm a sucker for anything variegated or striped.

Marcia & Tina, beautiful lilies... mine are all done now :( I thought the first one looked like Cancun too. The orange one with the brushmarks looks like Loreto.

• sharons2
    18 years ago

Sharon, how long does your Asiatic LA Hybrid Lily ÂFangio bloom? I have 'Lollypop' lilies, which come and go in no time at all (Laurie, your 'Hawkeye Belle' is absolutely gorgeous; and I've been drooling after one for a while, too. Now that I know it gets 15" tall in our cold climates, is there anything that you do to protect it?

Does anyone grow the 'Earth Song' Buck rose?

Sharon

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Finally got the new camera going... seems ok so far but I have to figure it out some more. Wouldn't you know it, my daylilies got shy all of a sudden and didn't have any blooms today... grrr

ok here's an ornamental sunflower, "Ring of Fire"
    {{gwi:767253}}

A gazania
    {{gwi:770878}}

Million Bells, 2 colours
    {{gwi:770879}}

Some sorta Turk's Cap lily
    {{gwi:770880}}

And Champlain, blooming away like always
    {{gwi:770881}}

Thanks again for all the camera advice!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    18 years ago

Very nice Gillian! You captured the colour of Champlain wonderfully. Those gazania's photograph so well for everyone.....I think I gotta try them next year.

Sharon, I am totally in love with Hawkeye Belle. I've actually got 2 bushes due to Pickerings mistakenly sending my order twice. So last fall I protected one with chicken wire with leaves inside and left the other with no protection, mind you, I always have a 3' bank of snow over that bed anyway, but both plants seemed to have the same amount of green cane, about 4-5". They both have grown quite vigorously and I have high hopes for them for next year.

I don't have Earth Song, but did have 2 Prairie Stars and 2 Folksingers. Only 1 Folksinger is alive, but it's not doing nearly as well as HB. Personally, I think you should try ES and let me know how it does. :)

Laurie

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

Laurie, I love that rose! I'm putting 'Scentsational' on my list as a definite "must have". DH liked it, too. We don't have any roses yet. I just want a couple, maybe 3 and I love the "swirl" effect on that one. I, also, am a sucker for stripes and varigations in flowers.

All of you are totally convincing me that I have to plant some other lilies. I love my orientals but they don't seem to have as many to choose from as some of the other species. I planted 'Casablanca' and 'Stargazer' this spring and the tops froze. However, I accidently dug a bulb up the other day and it was very healthy with a great set of roots. Maybe there is hope for them for next year. Lots of mulch this winter.

Gillian, your photos are terrific. Did you notice the pollen that is showing, with great clarity, on the gazania? Now that's MACRO!

Shauna

• Laurie_z3_MB
    18 years ago

I do have to warn everybody that with Scentimental the blooms last a total of 3 days from start to finish at most. They never have that hybrid tea look either, just wide open. Hopefully if it survives winter, it'll be prolific enough to make up for that. Now, Hawkeye Belle, is totally different. It has that hybrid tea look and a bloom can last 2 weeks! Have I mentioned lately how much I like HB?? OK, I promise I won't talk about her again.....until next year. :)
    Laurie

• sharons2
    18 years ago

Oh no, Laurie. You can talk about Hawkeye Belle all you want, as far as I'm concerned. I will especially want to know how well it does next Winter, since I thought it was always supposed to die down to the crown each year.

Shauna, I've tried planting Oriental lily bulbs 3x now, and I've never seen a bloom. But I don't know what you mean when you say "they don't seem to have as many to choose from as some of the other species." I can only seem to find about one Asiatic lily that I like (pink) in any of the regular catalogs; but of the Orientals (that are oh, so willing to die on me), there are plenty.

How long does the Asiatic Lily ÂFangio bloom?

Sharon

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

sharons2.....I have planted my oriental lilies only once and they have been blooming for me for several years. They are very fragrant and have huge blooms. They are quite late bloomers though.....I have several varieties.

The trumpets are the ones I have trouble growing here.....but I put a bulb up against the house in the back and it has multiplied and bloomed nicely this year as can be seen in my pic....I am very pleased......but the orientals are just out in the garden mixed in everywhere.

Gillian...congrats on your new camera! Your pics are very nice!!!

That orange turks cap lily.....is a tiger lily....Tigrinum splendens......You can tell a tiger lily or a tiger cross by the bulbils that form in the leaf axis.

Great pics...everyone else.....I love lily season!!!

Happy Gardening,
    Sierra

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Thank you all for humoring me through my first attempts. ;-)

I was pleased with the colour on all the pics; it's the focus I need to work on - it's got a funny feature where it sort of keeps guessing at the focus and you tell it when it's right... or something like that.

Sierra yeah it's a tiger lily, you wouldn't believe how many little dudes it has on the stems this year!! They're all over the place. Those came with the house and seem to enjoy spreading. I forgot to tell you I really like your last species turk's cap you posted, either it's tiny or else it's got the biggest stamens in the world! Hee hee.

Laurie you can talk about Hawkeye Belle if I can talk about Autumn Sunset. (it's got two new trusses of blooms coming up! look out!)

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Took a few more today...

Daylilies are back at it..."Summer Wine" (this one grows really well, and is scented too!)
    {{gwi:770882}}

Unknown red - still looking for ID
    {{gwi:770884}}

Love-in-a-mist (nigella I think without looking it up)
    {{gwi:770886}}

Another gazania
    {{gwi:770888}}

Thanx for looking :)

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Great photos everyone, glad to see that your enjoying your new camera NS, what a difference from your old camera!

Sharon, I really haven't been keeping exact blooming times of my lilies, but I would say that Asiatic Lily ÂFangio is going into its 3rd week now.

Laurie, I say yeah ;)

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    18 years ago

Are you using a tripod? Those pics of nigella and gazania are crystal clear! Pretty daylilies, but can't help you with a name for the red one.
    Laurie