Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

It has started....

Greenhouse sales! 15% off on shrubs, 30 on perennials and 45 on annuals! They aren't very large so selection is quite small but who can resist?

I escaped rather unscathed today as I only bought 3 Liatris, a couple day lily's, a few ferns, a couple echinacea and some gaillardia. Problem is that it is across the road from where I am working.

If I tell the wife she will take my wallet away as I know I am going back tomorrow....what would you do?

SCG

Comments (14)

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    9 years ago

Get them in the ground quickly - under the cover of darkness!!!

• northspruce
    9 years ago

Tell her you grew them from seed. Seeds are, like, free.

The nurseries are cleaned out here already. I thought I'd pick up some cheap perennials in mid-July but they were already out of everything except less desirable shrubs.

• ostrich
    9 years ago

SCG, you are in trouble! LOL! Your PAD is much more advanced than mine.... ha!

Mind you, I did get some goodies from the clearance sales today too - I got some very nice hardy geraniums (Dragon Heart and some double flower one), as well as some Veronica Speedwell Royal Candles, and a lovely peony "Primavera" too! Great prices and lovely plants - just the best combination! LOL!

What day lilies did you get? I saw some today too but resisted the temptation on those as I truly do not have the space for them...... but I was tempted!!!

• catt_2006
    9 years ago

I got a pucker up dogwood, fire and ice hydrangea, some Lilies and a daylily

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    9 years ago

Well, i ordered some heucheras from Floral and Hardy. One is for my daughter - i'm trying to enable her! I've been away for a week and haven't gotten in to any nurseries. What usually holds me back is my husband! LOL

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

Oh, yes, I'm keeping my eye on a few things at the local greenhouses as the prices are now beginning to be reduced.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shilla lol I will try!

Northspruce she would beat me if I tried to pull that over on her!

Ostrich, Well I don't know what day lilies I got. They were extra cheap because they didn't have a label LOL!! I did buy a one gal 'White Temptation' because it looked like it had already over wintered and could already be split. 2 for 1 and on sale...

Catt_2006 I had one of those for a year but it never made it through the winter. I think more was due to the deer defoliating it in Sept. than any thing else. Love them red twigs in the winter.

Marciaz3 I am staying away from the website. There is a couple nice heuchera at the nursery that are begging me to take them home. I can also hear the tiarella 'Candy Striper' calling from here.

Yeah Twrosz they are starting to come down... this nursery will be at 50% off at the end of Sept. hopefully a few of the shrubs I want are still there then. They are a little pitiful looking right now to risk it.

I wonder what will follow me home today?

SCG

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

There are tools for blocking channels on the television - SCG, you need one to block your access to the garden centre...it's much too convenient to work near one.

I don't tend to buy season end plants...they usually don't do too well or overwinter for me. Besides, I am at the point in my gardening that one plant needs to go before one can come in. ;)

9 years ago

Donna, i'm in the same situation - really no room for any more, but the temptation was so great! I saw a couple of very nice heucheras when my sister-in-law and went on a garden walk while on vacation, and i realized that my garden needed some.... Not me, my garden. Makes all the difference, you know!

Original Author
    9 years ago

You see Ostrich already is ahead of you as he buys and shovel prunes with reckless abandon. Maybe if you took a page from his book you could plant more LOL!!!

9 years ago

Yeah but I get sentimental about some of my plants!

Original Author
    9 years ago

I hear you there. Do you get more attached to the ones with the stronger personalities?

FWIW for the first time in a very long time my truck didn't turn into the garden center. Then I noticed the check engine light, I knew something was wrong.

I must get out and plant the newly acquired today. I can hear them screaming at me.

SCG

9 years ago

Some of the ones i'm sentimental about are the old, original plants that I first acquired. Some are extra pretty or vigorous, some are ones that I bought for the kids - the peony "ED"ulus superbus for my son Eddie, for instance, and the daylily Darius for my granddaughter with that name. And there's one of my Stella D'Oros that bloomed one sad September morning, with raindrops clinging to her like tears. I'd never SP her! :)

Original Author
    9 years ago

I love the way your evading admitting that the plants talk to you. Denial intensifies the affliction.

SCG