Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny_mclean_petite_garden

Anyone in zone 3 ever overwintered yucca?

That's all I want to know. Has anyone in zone 3 ever overwintered yucca?

Comments (15)

• Pudge 2b
    12 years ago

Yes. It lived many years, and would still be alive, I'm sure, but the area it was planted got shady from growing trees and I changed the landscaping a bit. The Yucca had to go and after I was done hacking at it trying to get it out of the ground, there was nothing left to salvage (I'm sure I didn't get all the taproot). Make sure you plant it where you want it forever.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I had Y. filamentosa at the old house. It was a little hard to get started as I recall but grew well once it got going.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks ladies. I think I might try one next year. Maybe I should start a thread on what to try next year....or is there already one? :)

Ginny

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

Now would be a good time to look for something new as so much is on sale and we wouldn't spend an arm and a leg and not have it grow. Always fun a to challenge the zone.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good idea Ingrid. I wonder if Greenland has any left? Bout time I made a trip out anyway. Must come get some ferns too. :)

• donna_in_sask
    12 years ago

I'm in zone 2b and it overwintered for me. I bought the variegated one but it seems to have reverted back to solid green. It's growing slowly and I don't expect it to bloom this summer. I have it in full sun at the front of my sloped flowerbed. I've read about this plant being invasive in warmer climates, but our harsh prairie winters would put a stop to that.

• Crazy_Gardener
    12 years ago

I have one too, started by seed years ago, its like 6 inches tall, takes forever to grow. Right now in the rock garden its most likely covered up with Dianthus ;)

• Collin001
    12 years ago

I'll post a success story in Edmonton that convinced me planting the Yicky may be doable. However I was thwarted by my kin which considers these trees ugly as in Yuccas-of-mass-destruction.

Be advised being a trendsetter ain't easy!

http://forums.northscaping.com/post?id=2617806

• glen3a
    12 years ago

Yucca filamentosa survives here too. Some years the leaves are damaged over winter (sort of a delayed reaction that you don't see until spring, but by summer it repairs itself and looks good again.) I tried wrapping it for winter but it still suffered leaf damage. Maybe a spot that's sunny in summer but shady in winter is best? So, for me at least it behaves like a perennial which dies back to the ground level some years, but I think the roots are very hardy. The plant also survives wet periods in the flower bed (those rainy periods). I also had a variegated yucca growing in a pot that I just sank the pot into the ground for winter. For whatever reason (great snow cover?) it survived perfectly. Aside from one year, my yucca has never bloomed, perhaps when the leaves get damaged by winter so does the stem that produces blooms?

• shazam_z3
    12 years ago

They're suppose to hardy here. Probably prefer really dry sites.

I saw a zillion of them in Kelowna though. They were all blooming too.

• Adriana Vegh-Levy
    3 years ago

do you need to cover it or just let the snow make its own way on the plant? We haven't seen snow yet in Winnipeg, Canada, however it will be here anytime soon. I was thinking of covering it up with an empty plastic pot if that might prevent the snow / frost from burning the leaves, but I am no expert in gardening so I have no clue of how to protect it and help this plant survive through the rough and harsh cold winter. Any ideas are really appreciated. Thanks.

• Plant Love
    3 years ago

Which one do you have? Yucca Glauca or Filamentosa? Glauca is native to Alberta. Don't bother protecting. Filamentosa, I'm sure you could throw snow on.

• Adriana Vegh-Levy
    3 years ago

Filamentosa. I hope it survives the winter. I will update everyone next spring. Thank you.

• Plant Love
    3 years ago

Only thing that seems to do yuccas in is wet soil. They like to be dry and without wet roots. Its best to plant them on a hill with sandy/rocky soil.