Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

(very very amateur) Daylily Breeding

northspruce
16 years ago

So I know a few of us were growing some daylilies from seed over the winter and I'm interested in trying it too. My new "Gillian" (which was a fabulous bloomer BTW) has a pod on it, and although I won't ever know who the "daddy" is I would like to save and plant the seeds. Should I wait until the pod dries to harvest it, and is there anything in particular I should know about growing the seeds?

Comments (14)

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Wow, thatÂs terrific Gil, especially seed from your Gillian! I noticed a few immature pods on some of my dlÂs too the other day. Although I did not do any dabbling this year, just too busy so I wonÂt know whose the daddy as well.

Daylily seeds should be harvested when the pods just start to split open, but before the seeds fall out. Before they split open, they'll start to shrivel slightly and lose their bright green colour. Make sure you check your pod(s) each and everyday before they drop out of sight.
    Here is Eldons website link below which has photos and very easy to follow instructions, although last year I only soaked my seeds in plain warm water for 24 hours, making sure I periodically changed the water to keep it warm.
    I also used a heating mat and covered the flats with a plastic dome. I also use No Damp incase of mold or damp-off and from my experience last year I will not start them so early this time. The end of February, early March is sufficient, as they do grow very fast.
    I will only sow daylily seeds indoors under lights; I tried with wintersowing a couple of years back with no luck whatsoever.

Also be warned, it could take 2-3 years before you see a bloom.

Good luck, it's fun!
    Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Oh boy, I forgot the website. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: hybridizing

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

That is cool that you've got a pod on Gillian! Sharon's pretty much covered all the bases on seed collecting and starting. The only thing I have to add is a little tip on when to know if the seed pods are ready for harvest. I read(and it worked for me) that when the seeds are ready, just give the pod a gentle squeeze to see if it'll pop the end open or not. It's kind of like popping open a pea shell, but with not using as much force. Last fall I kept waiting and waiting on a few pods to mature before we had a killing fr***. There were a few cold nights where I had to throw a 5 gallon pail over the whole plant so that it would have a little more time. Also if you think a pod is really close to maturation, but fr*** is threatening, you can cut it and put it in a jar of water to finish maturing.

Anyway, I was surprised at how easy it was to get the seed to germinate, and all my seedlings that got planted out are doing really well, so I'm really hoping for a couple of blooms next year.....keeping my fingers crossed!

Good luck!

• northspruce
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That sounds easy, and thanks for the website Sharon, nice pics on it. (I like pictures, LOL) HOw many seeds are usually in a pod? That particular pod I think is close to maturity because it bloomed early. I also have at least 3 pods on Siloam Ethel Smith but they are still very new. This is so exciting! :0)

Oh yeah I was also wondering if daylilies are ever self-fertile. Could you have the same pollen and pod parent, or do they need a cross? I know there are tets and dips and they only breed with their own respective kind. Which narrows the daddies down a little, LOL.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

As for how many seeds are in a pod, from what I've collected, there were anywhere from 4 to 20 seeds in one pod.
    I believe that daylilies, or at least quite a few of them, are self fertile. I suppose those that are both pollen and pod fertile could then be self fertile. Would that make sense? Makes sense to me anyway, but I've been wrong before.;0)

• softballkid4u
    16 years ago

How do you number and name your seeds ? Please advise. Thanks

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

I keep data of all seeds sowed & germination on Excel.

Nothing special, just numbered as I get them. When planted out in the garden, I mark their # on a white plastic label and marked on a paper map.

1. CALGARY STAMPEDE x ? (6)
    2. Carmine Ibis x Lola Branham (9)
    3. CHICAGO APACHE X SPIRITUAL CORRIDOR (4)
    4. Chief Black Hand x Rognvaldur (8)
    5. Indian Giver x Apple Swirl (9)
    6. North Wind Dancer x Purple Corn Dancer (11)
    7. Pink Windmill x Snake In The Grass Boo (6)
    8. Snake In The Grass Boo x Magic of Oz (6)
    9. SOUTH SEAS X ED BROWN (4)

1. Starmans Quest x Jurassic Spider (8)
    2. Various Diploid Seeds (15)
    3. and so on and so on....
  • Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Well after that last frost the other night, it seems that the daylily seed pods that I was hoping to collect some seed from, look wilted ;(

But, I'm still happy because a nice generous lady sent me a SASBE of seeds, what a nice surprise when I opened up my package today!

Black Eye x Bordello Queen (14)
    Blueberry Candy (14)
    Bordello Queen x Dragon So (17)
    Darla Anita Seedling x Seedling (15)
    Designer Jeans x Paper Butterfly (4)
    Fooled Me (3)
    Grey Witch x Indian Giver (8)
    Houdini x Russian Rhapsody (2)
    Indian Giver x Trahlyta (7)
    Kathleen Mary x Sdlg (3)
    Mariska x Jamaican Me Crazy (23)
    Moonlit Masquerade x Cherrystone (10)
    PirateÂs Patch x Lord Trickster (5)
    Purple sdlg #1 (rebloomed) (8)
    Red Volunteer x Spider Man (5)
    Seedling x Seedling ? (9)
    Seedlings (9)
    Spanish Glow x Butterfly Days (2)
    Spanish Glow x ? (3)
    Strawberry Candy x Pink Cotton Candy (10)
    Wine Bandit x Maviska (5)
    Wine Bandit x Victoria Park (13)
    Woodside Romance x Janice Brown (13)

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Wow Sharon, you hit the jackpot! I think you'll have to pick up another grow light for all those.;0)

You should bring in those wilted pods anyway and see what's inside....can't hurt, and maybe some of the seeds have already ripened.

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

More daylily seeds to start this winter ;)
    I think that's all for this year, otherwise I will have to kick DH out of his hobby room and build a new grow light room for all these future seedlings!

Starmans Quest x Smoke Scream (10)
    Coral Crab x Radioactive Curls (10)
    Tylweth Teg x Birdwing Butterfly (10)
    Radiant Moonbeam x Magic of Oz (10)
    Grey Witch x Skeleton Man (10)

Laurie, I checked on those pods again today, their dead, mushy and not even black yet. I guess our season is just too short to collect mature seed here.

Sharon

• northspruce
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well I harvested mine a couple of weeks ago - the seeds were full and black. I was thinking at the time that if these hadn't been really early bloomers, they would have no chance to ripen. Sorry yours didn't make it Sharon :(

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Yes, Gillian, I think you're right about the late blooming dl's not having enough time to ripen here. Fertilizing those first few flowers of the season should insure seeds though. I'm thinking if the seed pod hasn't begun to form by the beginning of August, it may be too late, or you'd better hope for a really long fall.;0)

I was able to get 2 seeds from Quest of Dreams, about a dozen from Red Ribbons, and a whole pile from a pink noid. So I'll have a few to play with this winter.âº

Sharon, I'm surprised that your DH hasn't offered you his hobby room for plants yet..........

I can hardly wait to see how some of your crosses turn out in a couple of years time, Sharon. And it'll be fun finding out what Gillian will look like too.

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Received my auction seeds from Coral in the mail today and was so pleased to see a couple bonuses thrown in.

Coral Crab x Radioactive Curls (12)
    Fat Man x Jurassic Spider (10)
    Grey Witch x Skeleton Man (10)
    Maude Peacock x Lola Branham (10) Bonus
    Radiant Moonbeam x Magic of Oz (10)
    Starmans Quest x Smoke Scream (12)
    Tune the Harp x Smoke Scream (5) Bonus
    Tylweth Teg x Birdwing Butterfly (10)

HereÂs a photo of Smoke Scream, I hope IÂll get some good crosses out of them.

Sharon, I'm surprised that your DH hasn't offered you his hobby room for plants yet.
    Ahhh, that will be the day! ;)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

I ordered MORE seeds from Penny, they just came in today, thats it, no more DL seeds for this year ;)

Fooled Me x Let the Games Begin (2)(Bonus)
    Fooled Me x Bottle Rocket (5)
    Moon Twilight x WebsterÂs Pink Wonder (2) (Bonus)
    Moon Twilight x Love For Jesus (4)
    Moonlit Masquerade x Mary's Baby (4)

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball Point Gardens