Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I plant Ben Sarek black currents in raised box bed ?

Posted by lyneya AK (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 20, 09 at 21:13

I live in a zone 3-4 area and have the opportunity to get some ben sarek black currents but the only place i can put them is a long raised box bed. Will they freeeze and die in a raised bed? should I even get them know or should I wait and see if I can find some in the spring?

Can you tell I'm a newbe?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I plant Ben Sarek black currents in raised box bed ?

How big is the raised planter. If it's a big one yes but put them in the middle of the planter and mulch them with dry leaves after the ground is frozen a bit. You do it then so mice, voles and little critters don't get in there and make a winter nest and feed on your plants all winter. If you wait until the round is frozen a bit they will have already gone elsewhere.

Back to the planter. The trouble with over wintering in a planter or pot is the freeze thaw cycle and that kills plants. The sun warms the outside and it thaws a bit then freezes at night. You want the ground to remain frozen.

And there-in lies your answer-- if the bed is big enough that the ground around the plants will stay frozen then go ahead. The mulch will help keep it frozen and protect the roots too

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here