Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did Anybody Else Get an Email Like This?

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 21:29

It was from

zho2x@yahoo.com

if i were you id take advantage of.........etc.,etc.

Then it used my name. Not impressed.

Has Gardenweb had some of our info harvested?

Anyone else get this email?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did Anybody Else Get an Email Like This?

• Posted by beegood Zone 3 Alberta (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 21:41

I get quite a few of these useless emails. Most go to my junk folder and just delete them. Never open them. Was it on your garden web site?

o

Your email can't be harvested from here anymore because it's hidden. Years ago, where it says (My Page) was a person's email address instead. They were harvested and what we got was way worse than what you got, believe me!

o

If it came from here, they are going through manually from the contact me page. I have it set to not accept emails because GW wouldn't let me change my email address years ago when I stopped using the old one. Good thing I've never forgotten my password.

o

If your full name was mentioned in the spam email, then very likely someone you know has your name stored in their contact list and that information was grabbed when they downloaded a computer virus on their computer.

I've received a number of "spam" emails like this from gardenweb members, and when I replied back to them, asking them to refrain from sending me those emails, they advised me that everyone in their contact list received the same spam, and they didn't send it...somebody downloaded something from the internet they shouldn't have.

o

Darn friends =:)

I imagine that's how it happened.

Thanks!

o

I would change my email password just in case it was you that got hacked

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here