Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID help please

Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 07 at 21:32

I don't have a photo, but I'm sure someone will know this answer quickly. These plants are beginning to bloom now with a 3-4" cluster of sort of flattened yellow pea-sized balls. Overall the plant is about 18" tall and has yarrow-y kind of foliage. It seems to me that I should know what it is, but am drawing a blank. Any guesses?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID help please

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 1, 07 at 22:54

Okay, never mind. I found it - Yarrow filipendula. May be it's been our excessively hot July but OMG, there's a mass planting of it at a nearby house that is just outstanding. Found some more at an old house (unoccupied). Must remember to go harvest some seeds.

Anyone grow it? Comments?

o

I had that one in m garden for about 14 years, a neighbour gave it to me when we moved in. Never knew the name until I posted here 2 years ago and someone told me. I love the ferny foliage and the wiry stems with the flowers on top. Wait til those little balls open and you see the four petalled flowers-quite attractive. If you ever dig it up, you will see the roots look like little sausages. It reseeds qjuite happily. I have it in my new garden to. Marg

o

Yup, I grow it, looks wonderful with blue Sea Holly.

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 2, 07 at 17:19

I'll betcha it does look great with Sea Holly.

I see I should have said Achillea filipendula. Duh.

I need something coming into bloom now, both in the garden and for cutting purposes.

o

Were you looking for a specific type of plant? I have David Phlox-white and very fragrant, that is coming into bloom right now and Nora Leigh Phlox-white with a pink eye,that is also starting to open. Other than that, all I have that is flowering right now are daylilies. I have Aramis-red, Swiss Mint-a soft yellow, Blackberry Candy-bright yellow with burgundy eye, Little Grapette-dark purple, all of which have nice long stems which for cutting. Marg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here