Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you collect your own daylily seeds?

Posted by jetred 3 Mb Wpg (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 08 at 21:38

Hi everyone

I need some advice.

I was wondering if any of you have success in maturing seeds from your own daylilies. I have some pods on my lilies just starting this week. However, I understand they take 40-60 days to mature. That takes us into frost here in Winnipeg. I would like to try and see if I can grow some over winter, but wonder if it is even possible. Or, should I just buy seed on the LA as I note some of you already do?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you collect your own daylily seeds?

I have collected seeds here, outside of Brandon. You just have to hope for a late fall. I have also used 5 gallon pails to cover the seed pods if frost threatens too. You can also try cutting the scape and putting it into water to let the pod mature more, but this will only work if it's a week or two away from maturity.

It is possible, so give it a try. I've posted some pictures of my seedlings on the Gallery, and those are all seeds that I've collected from my garden.

Good luck,
Laurie

o

Thanks Laurie. Sounds like a lot of effort! All my daylilies seem to be pretty late this year. The only one setting seed pods early is Stella D'or and I have enough of her. I guess I will stick to purchasing new daylilies from growers, unless I get lucky this fall.

o

sorry this is so late...

jetred... I'm from The Pas... and have successfully set pods and harvested seeds from newly aquired daylilies this last summer... most of those were spidery daylilies...
BUT... I thought, I have all those Stella's over there... what if I crossed them with all of these great spiders?...
Stella is so indestructable... you can't really kill her unless you really try...I have 34 sucessfull crosses of Stella D'oro with great spidery plants... I'm looking for another indestructible daylily for the North... with great looks of course... I can't possibly plant all of these seeds.. would you like to try some of them out? I could give you a mixture of them if you think you have some room... sorry to say.. I didn't have any tags to mark what was what.. so they're only pod parent Stella D'oro X Unknown...although I could send you a list of possible 'Daddies'... :-) I'm just looking for some Prairie hardy daylilies here...

Anyone who wants to try some, let me know..

Rob

o

sorry this is so late...

jetred... I'm from The Pas... and have successfully set pods and harvested seeds from newly aquired daylilies this last summer... most of those were spidery daylilies...
BUT... I thought, I have all those Stella's over there... what if I crossed them with all of these great spiders?...
Stella is so indestructable... you can't really kill her unless you really try...I have 34 sucessfull crosses of Stella D'oro with great spidery plants... I'm looking for another indestructible daylily for the North... with great looks of course... I can't possibly plant all of these seeds.. would you like to try some of them out? I could give you a mixture of them if you think you have some room... sorry to say.. I didn't have any tags to mark what was what.. so they're only pod parent Stella D'oro X Unknown...although I could send you a list of possible 'Daddies'... :-) I'm just looking for some Prairie hardy daylilies here...

Anyone who wants to try some, let me know..

Rob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here