Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jetred_gw

Do you collect your own daylily seeds?

jetred
15 years ago

Hi everyone

I need some advice.

I was wondering if any of you have success in maturing seeds from your own daylilies. I have some pods on my lilies just starting this week. However, I understand they take 40-60 days to mature. That takes us into frost here in Winnipeg. I would like to try and see if I can grow some over winter, but wonder if it is even possible. Or, should I just buy seed on the LA as I note some of you already do?

Thanks

Comments (4)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    15 years ago

I have collected seeds here, outside of Brandon. You just have to hope for a late fall. I have also used 5 gallon pails to cover the seed pods if frost threatens too. You can also try cutting the scape and putting it into water to let the pod mature more, but this will only work if it's a week or two away from maturity.

It is possible, so give it a try. I've posted some pictures of my seedlings on the Gallery, and those are all seeds that I've collected from my garden.

Good luck,
    Laurie

• jetred
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Laurie. Sounds like a lot of effort! All my daylilies seem to be pretty late this year. The only one setting seed pods early is Stella D'or and I have enough of her. I guess I will stick to purchasing new daylilies from growers, unless I get lucky this fall.

• explorer_mb
    15 years ago

sorry this is so late...

jetred... I'm from The Pas... and have successfully set pods and harvested seeds from newly aquired daylilies this last summer... most of those were spidery daylilies...
    BUT... I thought, I have all those Stella's over there... what if I crossed them with all of these great spiders?...
    Stella is so indestructable... you can't really kill her unless you really try...I have 34 sucessfull crosses of Stella D'oro with great spidery plants... I'm looking for another indestructible daylily for the North... with great looks of course... I can't possibly plant all of these seeds.. would you like to try some of them out? I could give you a mixture of them if you think you have some room... sorry to say.. I didn't have any tags to mark what was what.. so they're only pod parent Stella D'oro X Unknown...although I could send you a list of possible 'Daddies'... :-) I'm just looking for some Prairie hardy daylilies here...

Anyone who wants to try some, let me know..

Rob

• explorer_mb
    15 years ago

sorry this is so late...

jetred... I'm from The Pas... and have successfully set pods and harvested seeds from newly aquired daylilies this last summer... most of those were spidery daylilies...
    BUT... I thought, I have all those Stella's over there... what if I crossed them with all of these great spiders?...
    Stella is so indestructable... you can't really kill her unless you really try...I have 34 sucessfull crosses of Stella D'oro with great spidery plants... I'm looking for another indestructible daylily for the North... with great looks of course... I can't possibly plant all of these seeds.. would you like to try some of them out? I could give you a mixture of them if you think you have some room... sorry to say.. I didn't have any tags to mark what was what.. so they're only pod parent Stella D'oro X Unknown...although I could send you a list of possible 'Daddies'... :-) I'm just looking for some Prairie hardy daylilies here...

Anyone who wants to try some, let me know..

Rob

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm