Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciaz3

Verbascum and other thugs

I posted about this on Facebook and thought i'd add it here. I spent the morning digging out as many plants as i could. Don't ever plant that stuff! Even if you are an A #1 World Class Champion Deadheader, don't plant it. (yeah, i know, Gil - it bears repeating! LOL) The stuff self-sows all over the place! I don't know if i'll ever get rid of it!

Same with wild columbine. Some turned up in one spot in my garden and i thought what the heck - if it wants to grow there, go for it. Unfortunately, there seems to be a difference between wild and "tame" columbine. This is something else that will come up all over - it reseeds and sends out underground runners! The foliage is pretty, especially when it's still small, but it's not pretty anymore when it's coming up everywhere you look!

Somehow i inherited a little yellow-flowered oxalis-type plant from someone too. This is another one i can't get rid off. I'm pulling it up constantly! That and johnny-jump-ups. Sheesh.

Then there's the adenophora that's similar to the columbine in that it reseeds and sends out runners. This one, however, is one of those things that reproduce if you break a bit of the root and don't get it out. Something else that's all over.

Nepeta is something else that reseeds. I have a hard time cutting it back, though, because the bees like it so much. They like the verbascum too. Sorry, bees! They also like this malva that decided to escape its bed and turn up in the path beside it - 4' high stalks of it! LOL I dug a huge one out of the next bed over and couldn't even get down to the end of the root! I hope it doesn't come back now....

Well, this post has been my service to humanity. :) Anyone just starting out - you know what not to plant!

Comments (2)