Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grovegreenguy

What to do with saskatoons?

FrozeBudd_z3/4
12 years ago

It's time to pick the wild saskatoons, the crop is pretty good upon my acreage ... BUT, what do you do with them all? Saskatoons become very tough once they've been frozen, so processing them fresh is the way to go. One can only use so much jam / jelly and eat so many pies. I want to be able to use a good amount at a time, rather than just adding a handful to muffins or whatever. Canning them with raspberries tastes pretty good, though growing up we had eaten so much canned saskatoons that the thought of that kinda turns my stomach, lol.

Terrance

Comments (11)

• northspruce
    12 years ago

You could sell them at a farmer's market, or really if there are too many just leave them for the wild animals that also depend on them.

How about juicing them?

• mytime
    12 years ago

That's one berry that I just leave for the birds. They love them, and we sometimes get some very unusual birds on those bushes.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

I just had some jam this morning...it was made a couple of years ago, it tasted soooo good! This one was put into the blender between cooking, ... was just a idea, it turned out nice, [smooth] think we added some lemon juice to spice it up a bit, some rhubarb might work too. I always freeze some for a little in my morning cereal.
    Normally we use the potato masher when cocking, to break them up a bit.

I know what you mean,..... turning your stomach, same here, one can't have too many, but a little is fine.

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

Saskatoon syrup is awesome on pancakes and waffles.

I think my father used to eat it on ice cream also.

• don555
    12 years ago

twrosz, interesting to me that you say saskatoons toughen up with freezing, as I have 7 bushes and have always only eaten them fresh (with most left for the birds), until this year when I decided to pick and freeze the berries. Made a pie using frozen berries as a base -- not bad, but there were a lot of berries that remained as solid, individual berries. That surprised me, but your comment about them toughening upon freezing might explain that.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Konrad, we took your suggestion of putting the berries in the blender and also added the lemon juice, the jam turned out very good. I think we have made like this in the past and sometimes jelly also.

Nutsaboutflowers, saskatoon syrup is sooooo good!

Don, more than anything, I think saskatoons are at their most delicious eaten fresh! I like saskatoon pie, though very much depends on how the fruit is processed. At someone's place they had served us pie, honestly it was just terrible, the fruit had been frozen and the berries were like chewing on leather, we just smiled and said how good it was while chocking it down, what you can do, lol.

Well, today I must pick more saskatoons and the raspberries that are producing so heavily! Oh, a friend of mine makes fresh raspberry pie, OMG, now that's delicious!

Terrance

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Darn...don't do this to me, you make my mouth water!

I'm glad you can process your harvest.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Konrad, raspberry pie is one of the most delicious things I have ever tasted! It is not baked, though a warm thickened sauce is poured over the raspberries. When my friend first served it to me, I could not believe the FLAVOR! I'm making myself hungry now!

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

O.K. So now that this thread has everyone's mouth watering......

I don't have access to saskatoons anymore, but I do have raspberries.

Is there any way we could get the recipe for that raspberry pie? I don't think anyone monitors this forum anymore so it's not against the rules is it?

I'll bet that warm thickened sauce would be good on any type of fruit =:)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I recall that he had used three types of fresh raspberries, red, yellow and Wyoming Black, to this he had poured over a corn starch thickened sauce prepared with some raspberries in the sauce itself. I do not recall the exact recipe, though it was something very simple and calling for very few ingredients. I am not a cook myself, though I'm gonna make me a red raspberry pie in the coming days!

• don555
    12 years ago

Yes, recipes or tips would be great to see. I'm not going anywhere this summer for the first time in many years, so have decided to try to pick and use most of the fruit from my city-lot that in previous years I just picked when I was around and when I felt like it. So this year we have had lots of fresh fruit, but I have also been freezing what we haven't eaten fresh -- which means raspberries (yellow, red and black), saskatoons, and almost enough Evans cherry for a pie on its own. Especially curious what to with the frozen raspberries (we are NOT jam eaters)... smoothies seems a good option, but pie or tart recipes would be great to see too.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz