Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Starting Spinach in August

nutsaboutflowers
11 years ago

I can't find the thread that mentioned someone starting spinach on August 15th.

I'd like to try that, as my first attempt wasn't good. The weather was much too hot.

I have row cover to prevent leaf miners, but.....

Do I cover as soon as I get sprouting or even before that? How long will it take to grow spinach at this time of year?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• don555
    11 years ago

If you find a good technique for fall spinach, please post it. My one attempt at fall spinach was a failure, not even worth picking. I can't remember for certain now if the plants just stayed small or if they bolted while still small, but I think they just put up a few small leaves and then kind of yellowed. At any rate, I was turned off from trying it again, but maybe I just tried it on a bad year for fall spinach or was doing something wrong?

• bdgardener
    11 years ago

I tried for fall spinach last year, planting in the shade of the peas and it bolted when it was small. A friend of mine told me to cut off my spring spinach at the base and let it sit during the summer and it would start again it the fall. Guess I cut it too short cause nothing is happening. I'm going try fall spinach again I have space cause the deer took out some of my lettuce. Will post results, Cheryl

• Slimy_Okra
    11 years ago

Fall spinach is one of the major crops in my garden here in Saskatoon. Try a bolt-resistant cultivar like Tyee. August 15th is the ideal planting date.

Cover with insect barrier row cover (AG 15), NOT a heavier grade, as soon as you plant. Keep the soil continuously moist (water lightly 2x a day) until plants germinate.

First harvest should be ready in late September, at which time you can switch the row cover to a moderate thickness (AG 30) to pick again in mid-October and a final harvest at Halloween or slightly after.

Double the row covers after winter cold arrives (below -15 C). The spinach should overwinter and produce again in spring, albeit briefly.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Slimy, I knew that somebody had said to plant August 15th.

I'm going to give it a try, as I've got some bare space to use.

I think someone, or you, also said not to plant it where the other had been if there was any leaf miners the previous time. Is that correct?

Thanks!

• Slimy_Okra
    11 years ago

No it wasn't me but that statement is totally true. The leaf miners will be even worse if you place a row cover on top, because that creates a nice, sheltered, predator-free environment for them.
    You should inspect your spinach every now and then to check for the white, oval egg masses laid on the leaf undersides.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So that's what those were =:)

Thanks and I'll post later with my success or failure.