Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Glamini Glads?

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 12, 10 at 22:16

Hmmmm. My Glamini Glads aren't quite what I'd call mini. Does anyone else grow them?

Mine are almost all about 3 feet tall and need staking. I bought them because they were supposed to be half the height of regular ones and no staking required. Perhaps if I'd planted them in tougher soil they'd be upright on their own?

The purple Naomi's are a disappointing blah dull washed out mauve color, but the Charlotte and Tom are quite pretty.

Anyone else had better luck?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Glamini Glads?

I guess nobody here grows these things, either because they're too tall or glads aren't popular anymore.

o

I grew a few Glamini 'Charlotte' in 2012 for the first time. They were reasonably short if I remember correctly, but they were floppy and leaned badly, worse than some of my taller ones. Possibly I planted them a bit too shallowly. I never stake glads for lack of time and materials.

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 7, 13 at 19:38

I have been starting glads early, get them to about 8" high and then transplant them deep so that only about an inch of green sticks up out of the soil. That keeps them upright quite nicely. . Alternatively plant them in a deep trench and fill it in as the glads grow.

Sorry, I have not grown the Glamini although I almost ordered them one year - I thought if they were smaller, I would be able to include them in a bouquet. Guess that wouldn't have worked after all.

o

Hey NAF, I grew them for one year, but gave up because I wanted all the space for perennials. I just don't feel like planting and digging up bulbs every spring and fall! Maybe at some point I can have a cutting garden, but I won't have time to dig a bed for that any time soon so...

From what I had read back when I was growing them, Pudge got it right for how to keep them from flopping - trench them, and fill in the trench as they grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here