Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

Borage?

Konrad___far_north
17 years ago

Have planted some for my honey bees, a little disappointing, right now they totally ignore them because there is still a good alfalfa and clover flow. The bumbles are going bananas LOL.

Not sure what else I should do with these many plants, any ideas? Is there a way to easily take out seeds in fall?

Konrad

{{gwi:426986}}

Comments (10)

• Pudge 2b
    17 years ago

What a pretty picture. That's a lot of plants!

This is a pretty good link about Borage - it seems that harvest of seeds is difficult due to shattering and the lower seeds mature earlier than the higher ones, and the older ones shatter before the rest are mature. Apparently foliage doesn't dry well for culinary use.

I discovered something last year about seed collecting. Now, this is really small scale compared to your - what appears to be thousands of - borage plants. Anyway, I cut back a bunch of dianthus after it stopped blooming - it was starting to form seeds, a lot of seeds and I didn't want them getting everywhere. I put those trimmings into a couple of 5 gallon nursery pots and put them in the greenhouse (just because I was lazy). A few weeks later I decided the greenhouse needed a cleaning and when I went to move these very dried up trimmings, a ton of clean seed fell out the holes at the bottom of the pots. I got a tray and shook the pots some more - lots more seed. Tossed, shook, more seed. That's how I harvested the Dianthus seed. Now if there were some large scale way of doing the same with your borage, it would prevent shattering of seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: borage

• marricgardens
    17 years ago

Good morning Konrad. I live in farm country and there is lots of clover and alfalfa around now. Don't worry about the bees not using your borage right now, they probably just haven't found it. Do you have hives? If you do perhaps planting some closer to the hives would work. My borage always has bees on it. Don't know what kind but there are lots of bumblebees and a smaller kind that is the ones I usually see. I bought my first plant last year and then bought a new one this year. If I had known it would reseed as prolifically as it did I wouldn't have bothered to buy one! As for collecting seeds goes, I would cut off a plant at ground level and hang it upside down over some white paper. As it dries, the seeds would fall out. Think that might work? Good luck! Marg

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you pudge & Marg!

Interesting Link pudge....thank you!
    Some good ideas for seed collection...thank you!

This hanging up on something looks like a good idea! I will have to rig up something to collect some seeds, perhaps use a large tarp. Man.....I'll have seeds for life!
    I'm thinking to make a experimental herbal drink, juice the whole plant...something to think about LOL.
    I picked up some seeds, [2 cup full] this spring by a farmer near by, he planted this year again, he said the seeds oil is going into capsules and gets sold at health food stores.
    Konrad

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh...
    >>Do you have hives? If you do perhaps planting some closer to the hives would work.

Yes, 5 hives, they are just on the other side of the trees. I'm thinking the same, the bees should come a little later.
    Have checked on the farm field about 6 miles from me, there is some bees in there, but double the amount still working the alfalfa fields.
    Konrad

• dentaybow
    17 years ago

Konrad - if you do nothing with that lovely stand of Borage, it will do a fantastic job of reseeding itself. Come spring, you will have a completely reseeded area without doing a lick of work! (Except for thinning!) If you actually want seed for another purpose than reseeding the area, then the suggestions above will work just fine.
    Jan

• fadoodle
    17 years ago

Konrad, I've had borage mixed in salads (the young leaves)and the greens cooked mixed with other greens. I toss a handful of leaves in when I'm making vegetable-type soups as well. It's pretty good -- though it's clear you have more than you could possibly eat, no matter how many salads you consume!

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all!
    Jan,
    Good idea!...I was thinking do both a little, take some seeds, allot will fall on the ground and leave it for next year, have earlier blooming time and find out if bees prefer this?

fadoodle,
    I have been thinking about salads before, but that cooked greens sounds interesting!
    Have finally spotted some honey bees in there but still mostly bumbles.
    Konrad

• beloved-2009
    14 years ago

I must be missing something. I bought seeds this spring after reading all the comments about borage. They are large with tiny blue flowers. Now the taste is AWFUL! The leaves at first do have a taste similar to cucumbers but the next taste is a fishy/sardine terrible taste. I haven't read this before. Has anyone else found this to be true? None of my family and friends could stand the taste either. Would appreciate some information. Thanks

• squirelette
    14 years ago

Between the self seeding and the new babies that the plant sends I have a hard time keeping mine under control, it creeps in everywhere. The bees love it and are at it nonstop. It breaks down quickly in the composter and is a good mulch if you remove the seed heads.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sadly to say, I haven't done anything with it yet, this plot I cut and wanted it to dry to collect seeds,...it was too late in fall and the
    weather turned bad....couldn't get it to dry.
    The last two season's, [ incl. this one] in spring I lightly rototill over the fall ploughed field and sprinkle a little bird seed
    sunflower in it, found this to be a nice combination for honey bees...and birds. I'm sure there will bee seeds in the ground
    for generations when I'm done!..LOL, never had much problem with getting out of control, I'm gladly to see one's in a while
    a borage seedling popping up instead of a weed.

Konrad

{{gwi:426987}}

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner