Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Runaway rugosa!

Posted by northspruce z3a MB CDA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 25, 10 at 22:22

Three years ago (or four?) I planted an own-root rugosa, Agnes. I thought it was going to be a nice, tidy, really prickly bush. I was WRONG. This year it just got possessed and took off growing and it's towering over my head. I looked it up on Helpmefind... how did I miss this?

"Armed with thorns. Height of 4' to 8' 2" (120 to 250 cm). Width of up to 5' (up to 150 cm)"

Ummm 8'2" isn't far off! In my current garden it seems that anything hybrid tea or floribunda has no will to live, whereas anything else - shrub, Explorer, rugosa - is absolutely going insane. I'm going to have to prune Polstjarnan off my shed roof this fall...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Runaway rugosa!

This is a good problem to have, Gil! LOL Unfortunately, all my roses are pretty normal. :)

o

Sounds impressive. Several of my roses are that tall but none of the rugosas. How much bloom do you get for all that bush, in other words is it really worth all that space? Also, where did you find it? I have not seen it offered except at Cornhill in New Brunswick and shipping from there has been too hard on the roses I have tried from them and taken years to recover.
Leo

o

Leo, it bloomed well this spring, before the big growth spurt. It was only about 3-4' tall then and bushy. Two canes took off to 8' and there has been a small amount of rebloom over the summer. Here it is in August with my 3' DD for scale. It blends in with the spruce tree but it goes exactly to the top of the photo.

Photobucket

I think I will prune the tall parts back some in the spring and encourage it to bush out more. Where Elizabeth is standing is a new part of the garden, I didn't plant anything there this year. I'm still thinking what to put there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here