Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

I planted a Sensation Lilac awhile ago. I watered it a bit when i planted it, but decided that since i wanted to mulch around it, i should give it some more water. I did what they tell you to do when you first plant something - pour the water on and wait for it to sink in and then keep watering like that until it doesn't sink in anymore. I had put some edging around it, so there was no run-off when i was watering. I stopped at 17 gallons and the last of it sank into the ground as easily as the first of it.

Unlike those of you out west, we've had very little rain this summer, and what we've had seems to have run off rather than sink into the ground. Dh was digging potatoes the other day and the ground was just like powder. We've watered a bit, but our pond is almost dry, and with no rain, the big tank we also use for watering doesn't get replenished. A lot of my flowers seem to be in a permanent state of wilt.

At least it's not so hot as it was earlier this summer!

Comments (10)

• northspruce
    12 years ago

It's that dry here too. This spring the soil was saturated - well you heard the stories about the flooding and stuff. But we have only had 40% of our normal rainfall this summer and it was mostly in June. It's parched now. I'm glad I didn't plant a lot of new stuff this summer that would need a lot of watering.

The funny thing is, there have been several thunderstorms down along the US border that we didn't get, so the river is still high. And the lakes are still so high it's going to take many years of dry weather to return them to normal.

• Crazy_Gardener
    12 years ago

We did get lots of rain during the spring and summer, starting to get dry here too, hopefully we get a good shower tonight, just noticed some lightening from the east.

I will never forget the couple of years of drought here when we moved out here... wrong years to plant shelter trees. 3/4 of them did not make it as there was no way I could keep up with the watering. Alberta also had to buy hay/feed from the east just to keep the livestock alive.

You think its dry here in parts of Canada, you should see Texas, scary.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Rained here this morning. Don't know how much but the deck is just starting to dry up a bit. Still kinda cloudy and cool. Good cause we need it now.

• Slimy_Okra
    12 years ago

Has been an average summer in Saskatoon, but a bit on the dry side in July/August. After the disappointing summers of the last 2-3 years, I thought we would never see a normal one again!

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The sky is threatening this evening, but it just might amount to nothing, as seems usual this summer. One time there were flash floods 25 miles away and nothing here. I think we need a week's worth of rain to help! Of course, then we'd be complaining that it was never going to stop!

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I'm starting to think the place could turn into the Sahara for all I care, as long as we keep getting mosquito-free summers like this. It's been like heaven.

BTW same here, skies boiling all around but not a drop on my garden.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We got a few drops but not enough to make a difference. And you're darn right about the mosquitoes! It sure is great not having them - bring on the desert!

• shazam_z3
    12 years ago

Been raining in Calgary, but not very much. My rain barrel got nothing, LOL.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

It's starting to dry out in central Alberta after a VERY wet summer. Crops and gardens had been drowned out over a large region ... though, thankfully, my garden is on a steep slope and drains very well and has improved much of recent and I'm now getting a nice crop of cucumbers and today had harvested the first of the corn. The tomatoes are on their way to a decent average crop and the potatoes are huge. Was way too cool and WET of a summer and the mosquitoes were absolutely ghastly awful, probably about the worst I've ever experienced! Bright side is that bodies of water have much recovered from previous low levels and the trees are looking ever so much better after a couple years of severe drought ... oh, and it was nice not having to much drag around a hose and watering can, but we sure could have benefited from an extended period of heat!

Terrance

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

Had a few drops of rain yesterday morning but that's it. Cracks in the soil are very wide and deep. Time to start watering small shrubs etc.But at least the skeeters are gone. Yeh!!