Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grovegreenguy

Rosa 'Emily Carr'

FrozeBudd_z3/4
16 years ago

Looking rather like a cross between 'Hope for Humanity' and Winnipeg Parks', this rose exhibits long lasting blooms in a rich glowing red. Foliage is hybrid T like and healthy. If you haven't already planted this particular rose, I think you should think about doing so! Sorry, I need a new camera, thus no picture to post.

Terry

Comments (10)

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

I agree Terry, she is beautiful!

Canadian Artist Series Emily Carr, I only had a few blooms on mine this season since it was newly planted this spring, can't wait to see how she puts on next year.

Terry you really need to invest in a camera and join us in the Gallery ;)

Sharon

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

Mmmmm - pretty! I was going to get her this year but my rose plans changed. Next year. Trouble is, i'm running out of room for roses! Eek - say it isn't so! LOL

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sharon, thanks for posting the great photo! I like this rose so much, that next year I'm gonna incorporate it into my small scale breeding programme.

YES, I must soon be checking into getting a good quality camera, before summer is over! I have a few very nice yellow/peach rose seedlings to show ... I think I'm beginning to get somewhere with this rose breeding of mine, it's lots of work, but also plenty of FUN and most REWARDING!

Terry

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

I too bought Emily Carr. I had a few ugly blooms during the heat. It is a very nice red. Some more buds are forming and in a week or so I should have some more flowers. Hopefully these ones will be nice.

Shelley

• northspruce
    16 years ago

What is better about Emily than Hope for Humanity? I was going to get a HfH next year but you might convince me to get an Emily instead.

I agree, you need to get a camera Terry and show off your seedlings we have heard so much about!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Northspruce, I very much like both 'Hope for Humanity' and 'Emily Carr', and would have a hard time selecting one over the other for their particular traits. HFH comes out with very large clusters of smallish, but intensely dark rich red, almost blackish at times, the plant grows tall and upright ... sometimes the canes can break off at the base. EC is too new for me to comment on it's growing habits, but the rich red semi double flowers are larger and more Hybrid T like, and again, are also very long lasting. At this point, I couldn't select a favorite!

With my spring move to just outside the Edmonton area (Spruce Grove) I haven't done much rose breeding this summer ... but, I did concentrate on my progress with hardy recurrent yellows and peach and apricot shades. Next year, I intend to get back into the full swing of things and work with my most promising hybrids. My camera bummed out after five years, so indeed I'll start shopping for a new one!

Terry

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Here is my Emily Carr.

One thing about this rose that Hope for Humanity doesn't have is a FRAGRANCE. She smells lovely. Plus the flowers are larger.
    Here is a shot with Emily Carr on the right and Hope for Humanity on the left.

I love them both and want another one of each next year.

Shelley

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shelley, thanks for posting the awesome photo of 'Emily Carr' and the comparison shot. Of late my 'Emily Carr' has really put on new growth and is ready to again flower. I'm gonna be sure to transplant this one to a prominent location.

Terry

• jetred
    14 years ago

Emily made it through the winter and is sending out lots of shoots. This was an experiment that seems to work.

jetred in Winnipeg

• weeper_11
    14 years ago

I chose Emily Carr because it's blooms look more like a hybrid tea up until they open all the way up. I don't have any experience with HFH, but my Emily Carr survived some pretty harsh conditions and an aphid attack it's first year, and still managed to send out wave after wave of perfect flowers, and shoot up a foot in height and width.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH