Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you "underspace" your shrubs/perennials?

Posted by ostrich 3a AB (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 23:07

Since moving from zone 5 to zone 3 Calgary, I have learned that some shrubs and perennials may not grow to their supposedly full size here in this climate, esp. for those that are just hardy to zone 3. However, the size and spacing descriptions of these shrubs/perennials on their tags often seem to give you their full size in warmer zones with more precipitation. So I am wondering if you tend to "underspace" your shrubs/perennials in anticipation of a smaller mature size? Or do you leave just as much room in between them in case they do grow to their full potential size years later?

Just curious what you all do.... :-) Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you "underspace" your shrubs/perennials?

I'm never sure how big things are going to get, or if they're going to live, so I would say I underspace woody shrubs that would be difficult to move, and plant less permanent things around them in case they don't get big. And if they do I move the things that can be moved. Which reminds me, I have so much transplanting to do... nooooo.

o

I always assume they will grow to full size. If they don't, I can add something later. While I wait, I have lots of things to fill in the spaces with...dahlias, potted fuchsias, annuals, etc. Sometimes I have things grow quite a bit larger than they are supposed to.

o

I always underestimate the size of things. I thought my golden elder was going to be a shrub. NOT! And that viburnum is way bigger than i thought it would be. Another thing is Hansa, the one i moved several years ago. It has recovered so well from that move that it's about 5 feet high and at least that wide now. It's spilling over on to another bed now and i'm trying to figure out what i can do - build a wall maybe? LOL

o

I just realized I misinterpreted this - no, I don't plant things closer together. I try to plant things further apart than I expect to need, and plant other stuff in between that can be moved later.

o

Thanks everyone for your input!

I just planted the shrubs (the "backbone") in my new flower beds. I felt like I have spaced them too closely together, but then I have a few things that were really borderline hardy, so they might not get large or survive our Calgary winters.... so I am experimenting a little bit here.

I appreciate your feedback! Thanks.

o

• Posted by glen3a Winnipeg MB 3A (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 21:19

I have a small yard so often I do under space plants (that is plant closer together than I normally would). Also, with some borderline hardy plants I may plant closer together. I figure if by chance they do take off and grow to their full potential, I'll deal with it at that time. I won't move a large shrub but maybe move other plants around it away or trim that shrub quite a bit each year to keep it in bounds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here