Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattpf

Summer pruning apricot to prevent dieback

mattpf (zone4)
9 years ago

Every year I get insane growth on my apricot trees its really sunny here I was just in osoyoos and my trees have as much or more growth than they do in okanagan. That valley only gets about 8 hours of sun where as my yard gets 12 in spots where I put some plum and apricot trees.

If I don't cover the apricot trees I get die back on the ones in the sunniest locations.

What do you guys think about summer pruning it now to conserve its energy for next year ,covering it again through the winter and prune again in spring before bloom.

I get some 3-4ft long branches in a growing season here if I were to cut those branches would the tree use that energy to do something else. I'm going to stop watering after this heat wave is gone this week to start hardening off I'm wondering if it may just backfire and start growing like crazy else where.

Has anybody tried this. I spoke to an orchard owner in osoyoos and he recommends me to prune my plums and cots lots every spring he believes this is why I'm not getting much fruit. I get insane blooms with variety of pollen even used a native plum type the sand cherry and still no fruit. Sand cherry fruited nice with pollen from apricots and various plums.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor