Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How late do you plant potted perennials and shrubs?

Posted by ostrich 3a AB (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 23:38

Before I moved here last year, I was able to plant perennials and shrubs in my zone 5 garden all the way until the end of October or even early November, if I really push it. Here in Calgary, how late would you plant potted perennials or shrubs?

Since my backyard flower beds will be all done and ready for planting by the end of this coming week, I am itching to put in my potted perennials and shrubs. However, I just wanted to make sure that I am doing the right thing in this new planting zone for me! :-)

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How late do you plant potted perennials and shrubs?

I would say plant them now. It gives them a few months to settle in and ready themselves for the winter.

o

Anytime now is great. Best to put them in early morning when it has cooled a bit. Water really well early in the morning in this heat. :)

Ginny

o

Mid-October. After that there's a chance of snow, although you can plant evergreens right until your shovel can't break the ground.

o

Thank you, Marcia, Ginny and Shazam! This is great. I will take advantage of the sales and clearance going on right now and start planting away this weekend then! Thanks!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here