Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lots of wasp!

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 23:43

Here, never seen this many I think,...liking some of the equipment from the honey extraction.

Thinking to make some traps,..lots on the net,..what works best for you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lots of wasp!

Konrad, one down side to the area I live in is wasps, lots of wasps. We have a nice long, dry season in which they thrive. I have tried every trap on the market and every trap you can make. The best trap I have found is from 'rescue' While expensive it outproduces the other traps, often 10-1. I use their scent ball plus a piece of luncheon meat with some jam on it.

If your going to make your own trap make sure the entrance hole is no bigger than a pencil around. More escape than one would think and this is where 'rescues' trap shines. If you are going to use the 2 litre pop bottle method make a heavy paper cone to reduce the size of the bottle opening.

For bait they are usually looking for one of two things, sugar or protein. I tend to put both in to cover all my bases, jam or orange pop (hummingbird food) for sugar and luncheon meat seems to draw them in the best for protein. Looks like you have lots of sugar based bait!!!

*edit* I forgot to mention that if you can paint the traps yellow they will attract more.

Good luck.

SCG

This post was edited by SouthCountryGuy on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 12:44

o

Thanks so much,..this is good info.!

o

There are wasps and bumble bees everywhere this year, of course due to the warm dry weather. I have been stung several times and a friend down the road received 23 stings when he disturbed an in ground hornets nest while whipper snippering.

There's some good wild saskatoons on my property, though I have needed to be very watchful for bee nests. I had only begun picking on my third saskatoon bush when I could hear loud humming noise above the other noises in the neighborhood, sure enough I had been stepping upon a ground nest, no stings thankfully, though I did move away quickly!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here