Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

Tiger Lily or Day Lily?

Didn't know there was a difference until talked about it here recently, ..still not sure.

Comments (12)

• northspruce
    9 years ago

It's a tiger lily. Daylilies all have long, grassy leaves that come up from a single point at the ground, whereas lilies have them arranged up the stem.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    9 years ago

That's quite a garden of tiger lilies. :) I moved a patch that size from the side of this old house to the front garden about 8 years ago. They haven't got quite that big yet. :)

Ginny

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank so much,..kind of figured but wanted to make sure since these are threatened by the Lily Beetle, anything I should do or not, or look for. We only got these, will bringing in more lilies threaten the survival of these?

• northspruce
    9 years ago

If you get lily beetles, you might notice the bright red adults first, or you might notice that the lower leaves are ragged and then find little clumps of slime on them (those are the larvae).

I would say that buying new lilies would definitely increase your chances of bringing in lily beetles. Personally, I wouldn't invest a cent in lilies at this point, because with the beetles it's only a matter of time. Plant things that don't have a known pest coming for them.

• don555
    9 years ago

That's really unfortunate. I have a patch of species Tiger lilies, similar to Konrad's, and I'd really hate to lose them to some beetle. I've grown Tiger lilies since I was a kid, and they've always seemed resistant to just about every bug and every disease. Is there a reliable treatment for lily beetles?

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    9 years ago

I've had nary a one in my gardens and I have many lilies including tiger lilies. Maybe they don't like my yard?? :)

Ginny

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Fortunately the reports of the beetle are still low in Edmonton and Alberta. All the sites figure it is just a matter of time before we all see them. Hopefully they come up with a way to control them that doesn't do as much harm as the beetle does. They are decimating the native lilies where they find them.

SCG who is just starting to get into Asiatic and Daylily's.

• ostrich
    9 years ago

konrad, I have the same tiger lilies and they are just blooming now, but since they were planted last year, they are nothing as spectacular as yours!

I have not seen any beetle here for them.... hopefully, they won't be here!!!

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all!
    The Hummers love these, got a shot with my little pocket camera today.

• don555
    9 years ago

Great shot! I'm jealous. I've got a Tiger lily patch like that maybe 10 metres from two hummingbird feeders and I haven't seen one at any of them. Had one come by the front of the house to check out the clematis a few weeks ago, but didn't have a feeder out front then.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Konrad

Your Tiger lilies are beautiful.

We have the lily beetles around, if you don't watch they will decimate the leaves. Looks awful.
    If you spot any beetles, even one, just squash it (yuck!) or drop into jar with some water in it.
    Anytime there is a black gunk on the underside of the leaves (that is actually excrement with larvae in it-yuck again!), knock it off with a spray from hose. Larvae will die if not on the leaves-no food. That's best way to control them. (See photo what happens if you leave them on...)
    Most important is to get rid of adults so they don't breed.
    Hope you never see them...Rina

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the advise!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?