Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frost ): & the Geraniums I wanted to overwinter

Posted by fillagirl 2b Sask. (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 1:41

Hello, I have overwintered geraniums for the past few years, and usually get them pulled before frost hits.

I didn't cover then or bring them in and on Tues. night I think it went down to -4 here. Today, I pulled out all my geraniums from their pots and a drying them out. Some of them have leaves that are droopy and "yucky"...do you think those will survive and grow next Spring? I don't have experience with this and am hoping that they can be saved, they were beautiful geraniums.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frost ): & the Geraniums I wanted to overwinter

Tough call. The plants themselves (stems, crown, roots) will still be alive, but they will have less energy to draw on over the winter without the leaves. I'd cut off the yucky leaves and try overwintering them, they might make it.

o
RE: Frost ): & the Geraniums I wanted to overwinter

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 8:51

When I bring my geraniums in for the winter, I dig them up, shake off the excess dirt, trim back the feeder roots and the top by about 1/2. I do this because they are too big otherwise and to help get rid of some insect eggs in the soil or on the plant. I then repot them and water with an inseticidal soap mix. I used to store mine in the garage for the winter, we kept it at just above freezing. I withheld water until about Feb. when I wanted them to actively start growing again. Hope this helps. Marg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here