Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seemed like a good year for pumpkins...

Posted by don555 3a (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 30, 11 at 4:26

Pumpkins always a bit dicey in Edmonton, and I was worried about all the cold wet weather in May, June and July. But fear not, August and September more than made up for that. Now I've got a serious carving job ahead of me for Halloween...
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seemed like a good year for pumpkins...

Good job, Don! You have some lovely pumpkins there!

Wasn't that great here. I only got two small ones. One started rotting on the vine and the other i picked yesterday only to find that it was soft on one side too. You may have to ship out one of those for me for Halloweed! LOL

o

Wow! Nice ones Don... they're nice and uniform too. Are you going to carve them all or sell some?

o

Beautiful pumpkins!! I'm comin' to your house for Halloweeny!!!! I'm sure you are enjoying this incredible fall we are having! TFS!! :)

o

That's beautiful Don!
I've never tried growing them, I love pumpkin pie.

o

Thanks all! 7 of those pumpkins are Jack-O-Lantern pumpkins (produced from 2 plants), and those will be carved for Halloween. Last year we had 5 carved pumpkins, and I think we can handle two more :) Prior to last year there was a house down the street that would set up an elaborate Halloween display in early to mid-October, and I used to sneak down late at night under cover of darkness to add a few pumpkins anonymously to their display. Last year they didn't do their Halloween display, but if they start it up again this year, a midnight-run is probably back in the cards :-)

The 14 other pumpkins in the pic are pie-pumpkins. It's been a long time since I've grown them, but I'll be growing them again next year for sure. 14 pumpkins from 4 plants, each pumpkin yields about enough pumpkin filling (after cooking, scooping, food-processing) to produce one pie. And indeed it makes a wonderful pie! First pie is now gone, next pie is just a few days away for Thanksgiving!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here